HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:59 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks for that, Jerry. You're right, the lighter panels are a different color than what they depicted, but I personally like it. If I recall correctly, you weren't a big fan of the original rendering either so maybe this one just isn't your cup of tea. I haven't seen it in person yet either. But going by the photos, I think it looks good. Hopefully, it will grow on you a little bit.
I think this building looks worse than 1450 Franklin. Sorry not sorry but it's the worst looking building I've seen go up in such a long time. I always liked the bland original (taller I believe) design for this building better, as bland as it was. This was a disaster in the rendering and turned out even worse in reality. Architects clearly had a very limited budget and didn't know how to turn something out with it. After this, I'd say if the budget's limited, just play it safe and go boring. These precast panels are the WORST. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to live there - I'd vomit every time I walked in and out the front door. Ewwwww (put me in the MUCH better looking affordable housing across the street!)

As for 1450 Franklin - this project continues to baffle the mind. First was their rinky dink looking system for putting up the steel frame - a very [frail?] looking steel frame. There's that whole concrete contraption for retail below. Looks like a bunker. Then now there's this weird piecemeal and slow process of putting up what looks like an advanced version of drywall on the exterior. The thing working for them is the fact that they went with a standard "big 3" contractor in this city, and it wasn't some no-name. But still, based on what I've seen during construction, you couldn't pay me a billion dollars to live there. With my luck, we'd see a 7.5 mag quake the day after I finished moving in, and the building's "test-pilot" engineering would fail and the whole thing would collapse with me and 100-200+ other people in it. Just doesn't seem like it meets standards, but at 13 stories and high visibility on the Franklin corridor, there's no way in hell this extremely bureaucratic city didn't run 5,000 inspections on it and intensely review the permitted plans.

RE: the Rockwell - yea that glass looks funky, wasn't what I was necessarily expecting. I live nearby so will continue to monitor.

RE: 1545 Pine - yes, this building looks good, but it will be hulking. If there were any complaints about massing, I would have actually understood where they were coming from because this building is going to be bigger in reality than it looks in the renderings. Also, the neighborhood rallied behind keeping the facades of those one story buildings on Pine. The renderings were updated at one point. I personally thought that was stupid - these aren't significant buildings and it will be no architectural loss to see them go. But I don't see them incorporated into the latest renderings found on Socketsite - were these architectural incorporations stricken? I would be happy if so. But I am excited it's moving forward - it is a good looking rendering and the kind of rendering that doesn't seem like it would be misleading. So I think that's about what we can expect, and I say let's get the dirt moving soon!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post

[IMG]1450 Franklin at Bush by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]
Looks like a metal skin/wrap going over the gray at the first windows above the podium/bunker.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 10:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I think this building looks worse than 1450 Franklin. Sorry not sorry but it's the worst looking building I've seen go up in such a long time. I always liked the bland original (taller I believe) design for this building better, as bland as it was. This was a disaster in the rendering and turned out even worse in reality. Architects clearly had a very limited budget and didn't know how to turn something out with it. After this, I'd say if the budget's limited, just play it safe and go boring. These precast panels are the WORST. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to live there - I'd vomit every time I walked in and out the front door. Ewwwww (put me in the MUCH better looking affordable housing across the street!)
I really need to see this in person because I feel like I'm looking at a totally different building in these photos. Maybe you have to experience the proportions of the massing to realize how bad it is. And of course, you always get a better sense of the quality up close. I believe you guys that it's as bad as you say, I'm just somehow not getting that sense in the pictures. Or maybe it's just me.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 12:35 AM
dazzle me

sinbad's is to close at midnight tonight. think i'll head over for a few drinks and a bit of sentimentalizing (never liked the place but i feel very sad when institutions like this close or don't come back for stupid reasons, see: julius castle, original joes, and a large number of others).

a reminder of why they're being evicted:

eventually, these slips are to serve treasure island, berkeley, and possibly mission bay.

another, better shot from socketsite (well, i assume the pdf)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 1:51 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I know what you mean. I'll miss the opening in the plaza they are filling in. Not sure why, but I always liked being able to see down to the piers there.

Speaking of those old time places, at least OJ's finally came back (albeit in a totally new neighborhood).

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 2:37 AM

Sinbad's - I at there once & have a bad memory of the place - bad dated food & a waiter that would not leave us to enjoy our meal, think a buzzing fly!

I regret I never made it to Julius' Castle. The San Francisco of that era is mostly gone.

Glad to see more transit by ferry boat. I think the area will be a lot more exciting with people coming & going. The view will be quite nice with Sin-Bad gone!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 4:47 PM
Metal Up Your !

Drove in to work today. Got a couple of shots at the stop light after I exited the freeway. It feels so dense now!

San Francisco Construction by patriotizzy, on Flickr

San Francisco Construction by patriotizzy, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:49 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
What happened to the top floor of 1601 Larkin?
Not built yet? Good question!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 11:47 PM

Source:http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...uthorized.html
Quote:
City’s Mid-Market Tower Site to Fetch $7M Less than Authorized

While the sale of the City’s five-story building at 30 Van Ness Avenue, a building which sits upon a parcel which is zoned for development up to 400 feet in height, was authorized for sale by San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors with a price of “no less than $87 million,” the negotiated sale price for the parcel is $80 million, according to the purchase and sale agreement between the City and 30 Van Ness Holdings, LLC (Related California).

Construction should not begin until 2018, or after when City offices at 30 Van Ness are able to move into their yet to be built new location one block south at 1500 - 1580 Mission Street (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214479).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 2:07 AM
heavy user of walkability

the road to the Emerald City, as seen from Mission Bay bayfront

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 5:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

A couple of uninteresting shots of The Rockwell (1634 Pine):

I was at the gas station and just shot from where I was standing. The bulk of the building is along Pine. This is the end that faces toward Van Ness.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 5:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

And now for some bad news. Remember this:

Source: SFChronicle.

Well, now it's going to look like this:

Source: Hoodline.

That's 1028 Market. I recall when that and 950 Market were originally proposed, how excited we all were for the massive change coming to those two blocks of Market. Now I couldn't be more disappointed. 950 will still look good, but not as dramatic as originally proposed. 1028 shouldn't even get built if it's going to look like that. Utterly shameful.

On the bright side, that Hoodline article has a nice rundown of projects around the Tenderloin and Mid-Market that will be getting started soon.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 5:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It's not all doom and gloom though. There's a new hotel proposed for the northern flank of the FiDi. From Hoodline:

Quote:
A local architect has filed a Preliminary Project Assessment (PPA) for a 22-story hotel at 439 Washington St. between Battery and Sansome streets. The address is currently the site of a two-story building holding attorney's offices, Italian restaurant Il Massimo, and Stript Wax Bar.

The architect, Michael Stanton of Stanton Architecture in SoMa, filed the PPA plans and application, which also lists Peninsular Realty LLC and emails for Paradigm Hotels Group, a privately held hotel and commercial real estate company in San Francisco.

The current building is 38 feet tall, and the proposed hotel would rise to 200 feet. According to the proposal, it would be demolished for a building that would contain 101,000 square feet of space: 3,500 square feet of retail, 90,000 square feet of hotel space (with 189 rooms) and 7,500 square feet of building support. There would be no parking. The estimated construction cost is $35 million.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:

That's 1028 Market. I recall when that and 950 Market were originally proposed, how excited we all were for the massive change coming to those two blocks of Market. Now I couldn't be more disappointed. 950 will still look good, but not as dramatic as originally proposed. 1028 shouldn't even get built if it's going to look like that. Utterly shameful.

On the bright side, that Hoodline article has a nice rundown of projects around the Tenderloin and Mid-Market that will be getting started soon.
My hood is going to look so different in a few years - there are 5 projects within 2 blocks of my apartment on Turk @ Hyde. Can't wait till they kick off (and will be so glad I have rent control as I wont be able to afford any of these new places)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 4:47 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:

And I'll bet anyone $5 those "brick" walls will be stucco, just like how they cheaped out with stucco walls on the sides and back of Linea.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 5:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^I'd say that's a safe bet. Either way, it will be a terrible looking building, made all the worse by how nice it originally was proposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
My hood is going to look so different in a few years - there are 5 projects within 2 blocks of my apartment on Turk @ Hyde. Can't wait till they kick off (and will be so glad I have rent control as I wont be able to afford any of these new places)
It's like they wrote that article just for you!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 8:06 PM
dazzle me

wow, that's a truly appalling redesign, looks almost like heller manus got their hands on it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
almost like heller manus got their hands on it.
nah, it doesn't have a cylinder at the corner wearing a hat

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:36 PM
BANNED

it looks fine

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:04 AM
dazzle me

on a stroll just now, i noticed that demo is well underway (nearly complete?) on the 1545 pine site, looks like she might even be breaking ground before the end of the year!

it's a reeallll shame they couldn't have cantilevered over grubstake like the one spear did by the mint (cantilevered over the mint). bought the air rights, saved an institution. as it is, we've a wrenching development process ahead, followed by the loss of a great old place. and in the intermittent period, you'll have me wasting 10-12 minutes a day fantasizing about where grubstake could be moved to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations