HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:09 AM

I agree, that was a great photo tour. I have been working outside of Edmonton for about 6 months now, and what strikes me when I see the city now is how sparse the streets are in terms of people and buildings. I think that cold weather is just a poor excuse for not making more of an effort. Can you imagine how hot a restaurant or cafe would look with a big window fronting the street and a huge fireplace inside. Just the glow alone in such grey surroundings would draw me like a moth to a fire.

That said, there are some really nice developments going up that will make all the difference in the world. The low-income housing on 97st is actually quite well done and built right up to the street. It makes the area seem livelier and there is no one even living there yet. The Bay conversion is also looking really good (I like the zinc - M0nkey, were you being sarcastic?). I can't wait for the U of A gallery to open up there. The University has an absolutely huge collection of art and artefacts (including an Egyptian mummy) and finally they will now have somewhere to exhibit them. And lastly, Sobeys will add some great street front retail to the 104/Jasper area. Finally we are seeing some of the large chains tailoring their formats for an urban context. I'm certain it is going to pay off in spades for Sobeys at that location.

Thanks again, MM. Keep 'em coming!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:35 PM
arf

Thanks for the pics mOnkeyman.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:10 PM

Nice work tweeter.. or monkeyman..

save this for the before picture

I recently spent a week in downtown calgary. and I could not believe how dead downtown calgary was. I was very surprised. Seriously, its no different than Edmonton, except when there is more huge buildings, the effect is far greater.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:52 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
No offense, but these pictures only serve to reinforce my belief that Deadmonton is a frozen wasteland full of concrete bunkers.
Hey guess what asshatfromCalgary, Your city is no better on a cloudy/snowy Sunday morning. I'm certainly glad this city has a lot more to offer in the summer then a bunch of gay ass cowboys and stampede shit.
I challenge you the next cold snowy sunday morning to try to prove that Calgary is any better. You can't do it.
No offense? Right...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 4:22 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
great walk, but good GOD does Edmonton look like a shit hole.....no wait that was too kind.

many places look amazing with snow and the such, but to be honest looking through this made me want to move.

Desolate, dry, boring, ugly, BLAH.

im sitting here with my girlfriend who lives in vancouver right now and im trying to sell her on moving here.....this DIDNT HELP.

ah
Ian, Vegas just called me, asking me for my opinion about the odds of you staying in Edmonton. Seems that they bet on everything in that town...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 4:24 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
You just know that building is full of lawyers and accountants.
Actually, it's filled with little old ladies, and a few old gents. That building was converted from office into a retirement residence several years ago.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 4:30 PM

Quote:
great walk, but good GOD does Edmonton look like a shit hole.....no wait that was too kind.

many places look amazing with snow and the such, but to be honest looking through this made me want to move.

Desolate, dry, boring, ugly, BLAH.

im sitting here with my girlfriend who lives in vancouver right now and im trying to sell her on moving here.....this DIDNT HELP.

ah
you and your girlfriend, from Vancouver, are sitting around a computer reading forum posts? You really know how to treat a girl!
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; Feb 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 4:34 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Thanks Monkeyman, great pics. Lots of pics... snowy day!

Edmonton looks gorgeous on nice days.. dont let the grey weather fool you.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:25 PM

Good pictures. But looking at all those wires for the electric busses makes me wish the city would get rid of them asap.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:29 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
you and your girlfriend, from Vancouver, are sitting around a computer reading forum posts? You really know how to treat a girl!
well it seems it is about the only exciting thing to do in this town right now...

Murman - put a fin on staying but only if they have no time conditions.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:33 PM
Community Guy

monkeyman - please post this in the city photo section to see what kind of responses we get....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:35 PM

Quote:
monkeyman - please post this in the city photo section to see what kind of responses we get....
'k.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:18 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
/\ Hahah....ok, take a walk in downtown Calgary on a chilly, snowy Sunday and head towards the east. The difference will be negligible dude....don't kid yourself.

...or in pretty much any direction.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:27 PM

Nice pix monkyman

Im not surprised the streets were dead. I was on Whyte and it was dead too. Just something about snow, wind, and cold weather that makes you just want to hibernate. And thats the same shit for Calgary too.. so don't flatter yourself

Now if you were to take those same pictures downtown during July/August.. you would be like "wow look at all those damn people!"

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:31 PM
Community Guy

"Now if you were to take those same pictures downtown during July/August.. you would be like "wow look at all those damn people!""

hate to say it....but you wouldnt. More yes, but not enough.....not close to enough. They would still be at WEM or SEC.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:34 PM

I know what you mean Cold.. but Edmonton downtown streets during the festivals is still a nice site to see. Even tourists often commment about how bustling our downtown seems during these festivals. I just wish it was like that year round

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:36 PM
Community Guy

^true, festivals bring in many, but outside of churchill sq, it is pretty quiet....mind you most downtowns CBD are.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:42 PM

If I was to do this for maximum" wow!" effect, I'd hit it on a real nice summer day at lunch hour.... 'cause that is when the place is flooded with people....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the pics, Monkeyman!
We don't get enough views of E-town during times like this. Being from a place where it hardly ever snows, I thought the scenes were mostly quite pretty.

I admit though, I really don't think I'd want to visit during this time of year.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 12:45 AM

Edmonton really does look like shit in the winter (Before all the Edmonton forumers jump on me Calgary does too). As for the street life, both cities are pretty much dead downtown on the weekends, and you know why, they are full of office buildings, and no one wants to be at work during the weekend!!

Which city do you think will have better street life in lets say 5 years?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton