HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:02 PM

The design description of the gradient glass is weak at best (in my opinion it is ridiculous).

The person who posted that it was just another 'gimmick' was correct. I wish architects had the courage to be honest more often. I think it was a bold, original, and successful aesthetic move (and no doubt other architect will be copy it, just like aspects of aqua have been copied the world over). That's what it is though...and to pretend otherwise is nonsense....and should be called out as such.

Aqua is a vastly more elegant and original building than Vista though. It's not even close. When you have to have completely crappy interior spaces as a result of the 'architecture' on the outside, you didn't really do your job as an architect. That is why buildings with floors that change every floor are best reserved for office program which can be very flexible, or if residential, have very large apartments that can handle the change in depth more elegantly. The lateral design diagram on Vista is a hot mess compared to the simplicity of the Aqua. Yes, tall towers have more issues with lateral design compared to even 800' tall towers, and that's the point. Understanding how to fold lateral design requirements into an overall design of a tall tower is part of the challenge of making an iconic building. Tall towers are not just another exercise in form making.

I remain a huge fan of the talented, dedicated, and hard working men and women at Studio Gang. I hope the short comings on Vista are just a small hick up in what otherwise has been a very successful run for Studio Gang.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
it's actually a very simple concept:

^jc5680 made it pretty clear what I think about this rationale... I also think I made it clear that I understood the 'concept', it's just not backed up in reality by the fact that there are not significant changes in solar gain with the varying hues of the glass and if you look at their diagram, it's kinda a lie... the spaces inside the building are not all open... in reality the floors are cut into much smaller spaces adjacent to the glass exterior... this fact alone invalidates the whole concept...

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:33 PM

interesting article noting recent innovative solutions for addressing 'dampening' and shear forces...

https://archpaper.com/2020/05/facade...8fyeCOzLMe2-LI

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:57 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
just like aspects of aqua have been copied the world over
That's interesting, which buildings have copied aspects of Aqua?

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
a small hick up
Sorry, that's just funny to me.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:59 PM

to each their own..

i'm stoked for this building to open. seems to stir up so much emotion, will likely become one of chicago's most recognizable buildings.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
That's interesting, which buildings have copied aspects of Aqua?
Loads of buildings in Toronto now have undulating balconies - Massey Tower, Wellsley on the Park, One Bloor. Toronto's building trend the past has largely been a riff off of Aqua IMO - square building with gimmicky balconies. Aqua is much better than any of these of course.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:52 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.slang View Post
Loads of buildings in Toronto now have undulating balconies - Massey Tower, Wellsley on the Park, One Bloor. Toronto's building trend the past has largely been a riff off of Aqua IMO - square building with gimmicky balconies. Aqua is much better than any of these of course.
Very interesting.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:56 AM

May 25

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 12:28 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Credit: Erik Wolf

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I hope they keep that bluish light on that floor. Looks kinda nice. Blue or blueish green.
Apparently there are laws prohibiting lighting on the blow-through floor. The light we see now is probably allowed only for construction. But I agree the blow-through looks nice when lit at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just have to get this off my chest, but Chicago is a good bang for the buck. Solid, and I mean solid urban experience, without the sodomy that occurs price wise in places like NYC or SF. Just had to get that out there. One can actually have a solid urban experience, near the heart of the city, and reap the benefits of the higher pay, and just the general perks of being in the heart of the city. SO bravo to you guys!
The relatively low cost of living is one reason why I plan (or at least hope) to move to Chicago in a few years. An equally important reason is that it's such a pleasant big city to live in. NYC and parts of SF are just too high density.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:47 PM

beautiful pics

yeah iirc nobody can find a solid source for any real ordinance prohibiting a blow thru light but wont be surprised if it is prohibited somehow

all i've found is from chicagoarchitecture.org

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction