HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by People_talking View Post
I could also see that happening unfortunately, JetBlue also lost their AMS slots and AMS seems to be slicing the newer entrants first.

Side-note, does anyone know if WS still has DXB slots?
ACL hasn't published the slot reports yet, but from what I've heard DXB isn't in the cards for 2024.

WS did request slots for LIS though, but weren't granted them yet:
https://slotsapi.nav.pt/uploads/slot...lineLISS24.pdf

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:11 PM

The B789 can't do YYC-DXB without leaving significant payload behind, due to YYC's altitude. It's less of an issue in colder temperatures, so maybe Dec, Jan and Feb, the route can go close to unrestricted, but that's about it. So knowing all of this, it's highly unlikely WS ever launches DXB, especially in the summer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:21 PM

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/direct-flights

Looks like someone updated this page too soon, as it already has the updated schedule.

NRT - Increased to daily
FCO - increased to daily
EDI - Increased to 4x weekly
BCN - Increased to 5x weekly
KEF - 4x weekly starting May 15.

Details on Iceland service:
WS38 YYC 19:55 - 08:25+1 KEF 7M8 1357
WS39 KEF 09:45 - 10:43 YYC 7M8 1246

Last edited by hollywoodcory; Nov 14, 2023 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 11:25 PM
Scam Artist

With YYC-LGW gone can they please renumber LHR as flight #1, please.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
With YYC-LGW gone can they please renumber LHR as flight #1, please.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:00 AM

There's no way WS doesn't take 2-3 more frames in the next few years. Now they need to try making the 787 flying a little less seasonal (ie maybe daily CDG and year round NRT). Super cool to see KEF although YEGers may not be so happy lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
There's no way WS doesn't take 2-3 more frames in the next few years. Now they need to try making the 787 flying a little less seasonal (ie maybe daily CDG and year round NRT). Super cool to see KEF although YEGers may not be so happy lol
They have 1 full extra frame this year. They can get away with the their long haul schedules with what they have and no domestic turns on them over summer.
This is basically it though. No further summer expansion for long haul without new metal.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
They have 1 full extra frame this year.
Are you saying they will have one full extra frame for S24?

Didn't they have all 7 frames for this past summer? What was that frame doing in S23?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 10:04 AM
Scam Artist

He's saying if they didn't fly any domestic on the 787, then they'd have a full extra frame which is correct. As of now the 787 remains schedueld on a YYZ turn, so it's more like 0.5 of a frame that's free as they rotate.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
He's saying if they didn't fly any domestic on the 787, then they'd have a full extra frame which is correct. As of now the 787 remains schedueld on a YYZ turn, so it's more like 0.5 of a frame that's free as they rotate.
If it’s only 1/2 a frame, I hope it’s the front half with the J pods thank you very much!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
If it’s only 1/2 a frame, I hope it’s the front half with the J pods thank you very much!
They dropped the gatwick - Calgary flight. That is a full frame a day WestJet can use, they are using it to increase frequencies on the other locatins.
From the schedule it looks like they have given themselves more slack compared to summer 2023 with there 787'S but also with there schedule it probably doesn't allow them to do a Calgary - Toronto 787 run over summer.

But with 7 frames, this is basically all they can do over summer. No new cities unless frequencies dropped from current cities.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 9:34 PM

Great adds for YYC, this to me makes a lot more sense than capacity dumps onto London; it differentiates WestJet and gives them a unique offering from Western NA. Getting to London from Western NA is pretty easy but Edinburgh or Barcelona etc... are much less contested.

I'm a bit skeptical about KEF though, with no beyond links it's pure destination travel and even with multiple origins from Westjet's feed I suspect it might be a tough sell when competing against Icelandair.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 10:14 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
but also with there schedule it probably doesn't allow them to do a Calgary - Toronto 787 run over summer.
Yea, they can. We've plotted a peak week for all 7 frames already... the sked runs pretty much the same as S23.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 11:28 PM

Since BCN is actually 4x weekly and FCO is 6x weekly it's exactly the same as last year right?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Since BCN is actually 4x weekly and FCO is 6x weekly it's exactly the same as last year right?
BCN was 3x weekly / FCO was 5x weekly. So they both gained one extra weekly.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Great adds for YYC, this to me makes a lot more sense than capacity dumps onto London; it differentiates WestJet and gives them a unique offering from Western NA. Getting to London from Western NA is pretty easy but Edinburgh or Barcelona etc... are much less contested.

I'm a bit skeptical about KEF though, with no beyond links it's pure destination travel and even with multiple origins from Westjet's feed I suspect it might be a tough sell when competing against Icelandair.
I believe they are interlining with Icelandair. One of their press clippings said they would have connectivity on both ends. See if I can find the article.
Edit…
https://www.facebook.com/share/yzopR...ibextid=K35XfP

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:19 AM

Ahh got it. That makes infinitely more sense and would make this route a big hit if so.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Yeah I'm puzzled. Icelandair makes KEF work by offering it as a stopover for service to Europe but WS doesn't have that.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
BCN was 3x weekly / FCO was 5x weekly. So they both gained one extra weekly.
Right, but overall it'll still be 40x weekly just like last summer and not 42x weekly if I have that correct?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:29 AM

Just checked and indeed WS has an interline agreement (but not a codeshare) with Icelandair, but in this case it should do the trick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure