HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:08 AM
City Maker

Alternative Transportation

Time for a thread on Pedestrian and Cycling issues and development!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:11 AM
City Maker

Expanded Bike Paths Target Commuters

May 26, 2009

Calgary Herald
Eva Feguson

CALGARY - A larger, more user-friendly pathway system has been created by the city at a cost of $5 million with the intent of attracting more cyclists.

City officials will now be watching for a spike in the number of commuters trading cars for bikes.

The three-year undertaking has created a mix of bike lanes, shared lanes and special signals allowing cyclists to stop traffic along secondary routes.

As well, several stretches within the city's bike pathway system have been repaired and rebuilt after flooding damage destroyed them in 2005.

"It's part of making the whole system better for commuting," said Doug Marter, manager of planning and development for city parks.

"The number of cyclists has been increasing consistently over the last few years. But now we're seeing higher usage in the winter months as well."

Counters and surveyors will set up at high-traffic locations during peak times over the next several months to see if cycling numbers have gone up and which areas are more popular.

After a series of improvements completed over the 2008 summer season, on-street bike routes have been upgraded along seven secondary routes.

A long stretch of 26th Avenue S. W. between Sarcee Trail and 14th Street now has markings for shared bike lanes, and there is a section of exclusive bike lanes east of 37th Street S. W. where residents are no longer able to park.

"This was a section of the road where not a lot of people were parking anyway, so we were able to make it into a bike lane, dedicated to bikes only," said Marter.

On 50th Avenue S. W., at intersections west of Macleod Trail, traffic signals have been added exclusively for cyclists allowing them to stop traffic in a matter of seconds so they can continue through.

A handful of secondary routes will see more work done this season, including 5th Avenue N. W. from 9A Street to 29th Street, with a combination of shared lanes and bike lanes to be added and an improved bike path connection at Uxbridge Drive.

Meanwhile, the parks department has completed work on a number of pathway upgrades, most of which were sections destroyed by flooding in the spring of 2005.

The pathway along the Bow River, paralleling Deerfoot Trail between Southland Drive and Glenmore Trail, was refurbished last year and is ready to go. Concrete retaining walls have been erected to prevent damage should another major flood occur, said Marter.

In the northwest, the bike pathway through Bowmont Park, from Varsity to Montgomery, has been upgraded.

Several missing links on pathways in all quadrants of the city have also been built in.

Work will continue on upgrading bike paths paralleling 52nd Street S. E. between 17th Avenue and Glenmore Trail, helping an increasing number of commuters in the city's southeast industrial areas.

Alex MacKenzie, a mechanic at the Bike Shop who cycles to work every day, says he appreciates the work the city's done so far, but adds that so much more has to be done.

"The bike lanes are helpful when people don't park in them, but people always do. We need better enforcement to prevent people from parking, but that's not happening."

MacKenzie adds that more parking also needs to be made available at collection nodes, such as Edworthy Park, where suburbanites drive, then park so they can cycle to work.

"We need more, larger park and rides like that.I know people that drive 10 kilometres away from their house and downtown, just so they can cycle into work."

Frans Hettinga, co-chairman for the Calgary Pathway Advisory Council and a member of Bike Calgary, also regularly commutes to work.

He says many bike lanes lose their bike-only markings over the winter, because they're covered in gravel and scraped off. He suggests the city look into different coloured paving along bike lanes, like green or red as is done in some European and American cities.

"If we want a real change in this city, we have to be willing to spend a little money and do it right. It's probably more ex-pensive to redo the same thing over and over, rather than do it right the first time."

Over the next few weeks, city bylaw officers will also be out in full force checking cyclists' speed with radar.

Congested, higher-risk areas like Eau Claire, the zoo and Edworthy Park, coming in toward the core, will have radar set up on a regular basis, says Bill Bruce, director of animal and bylaw services.

Cyclists will be ticketed $50 if they're speeding at an unreasonable rate, higher than 20 km/h, and if they refuse the bike bell always offered to them by bylaw services.

"Our goal is compliance, so we'll offer a bell before a ticket," says Bruce. "We just want to make sure the paths are safe."

“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
Round Head

I prefer "active transportation" to alternative.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 3:30 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:19 PM

Legalize cyclists being able to grab onto moving vehicles!

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:26 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:30 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
^Agreed. "Alternative" implies that automobiles (especially private, but public too) are and should be the norm, while active transportation is kept on the fringes. Nevertheless, good idea for a thread. Calgary actually has an extensive bike path system, however some improvements would be welcomed, as it can be disjointed in some places. The article mentions making secondary routes bike friendly, which is good. Makes more sense than trying to add bike lanes to routes like Macleod Trail. Not much of a cyclist myself, although I'd like to try doing more in the next couple years. As for walking, I think the City should focus on making current high-pedestrian-traffic areas more friendly. The Beltline and the underpasses under the tracks come to mind. In the suburbs, more pedestrian bridges (they don't have to be "fancy" and they can even be designed by local arcitects!) in appropriate places over thoroughfares would be welcome as well.
I love biking to work. I think there should be a good combination of bike lanes on roads, plus expanding the existing bike path system - including more pedestrian overpasses like you mention. I'm really looking forward the the pedestrian overpass over McKnight by the (now) Police Headquarters, it will save me often waiting 2 minutes for the lights to change. Places like that are great for pedestrian overpasses, places where automobiles can't take the same route. I know for me, if I couldn't cross McKnight there and continue south, it would add several kms and minutes of biking for me to get to work - as I had to do earlier in Spring when the snow hadn't melted off of the paths yet.

Making connections that are impossible to do by car, makes the pathways attractive to people for whom that connection is very convienient.

I think the city should work on making a few longer bike corridors, where you can travel a distance without too much interruption. These could be totally seperate from the road system. Connecting the missing links would be really good too. Also, in some places, there are short sections where there are section of only narrow sidewalk in the middle of what is otherwise a wider bike path. If I would bike down 52nd Street/Falconidge Blvd, like I used to ( a bike path), going past the McDonalds just north of mcKnight, it's only a narrow sidewalk, then, past the Co-op at 64th Ave, it's also only a narrow sidewalk. As well, by the Gas Plus at the corner of 52nd/Temple Drive/44th Ave, also just a narrow sidewalk. Places like that should be fixed up.

The last while, I've also dreamed up a system that would benefit bikers when they cross minor residential streets on bikepaths. If a system could be devised that would sense when a biker was approaching, and start the lights flashing so traffic would stop early - similar to train crossings - then the biker could continue on, perhaps only slowing down a little bit, instead of stopping before the road, making sure traffic stops, then (if you want to be "legal") walk across the road, get back on the bike, and start up pedalling again. All that work is a big deterrent to getting people out biking, IMO. The more advantages we can give to bikes, the better. Forcing bikers to slow down and stop many times is a huge disadvantage to bikers.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:59 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Forcing bikers to slow down and stop many times is a huge disadvantage to bikers.
Yeah so? Everyone else has to slow down and stop too. I have cycled to work downtown, and it amazes me how many cyclists treat the commute as a race to try to beat their best personal time. There will be no stopping, no slowing down and no regard for the personal safety of themselves or others in their quest to tighten their ass and shave another 30 seconds off of their personal best time. I'm not ragging on you specifically here TNaT, but that whole attitude of "must not stop" needs to change, for some people at least. It's not about getting there on a bicycle, it's about experiencing the ride.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:01 AM

I agree. When I lived in Vancouver, I got hit by bicyclists twice. They were in a rush, running a red, and as a pedestrian I walked when the light turned. Or, walking through a crosswalk and getting sworn at because the bicyclist needed to stop for me too. I don't find the same problems here. Bicyclists are very accommodating from my experience in Calgary. But in Vancouver, well, I think some have god-complexes and think they're above all the laws - not a pedestrian, not a motorist = no rules

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:14 AM

I bike everywhere, period. I own a car but it has been unregistered for over 6 months because I find that cycling is far more rewarding, fun and easier. However my lifestyle permits this as a possibility, being a student and part time employee I rarely ever find the need to use an automobile.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:26 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Yeah so? Everyone else has to slow down and stop too. I have cycled to work downtown, and it amazes me how many cyclists treat the commute as a race to try to beat their best personal time. There will be no stopping, no slowing down and no regard for the personal safety of themselves or others in their quest to tighten their ass and shave another 30 seconds off of their personal best time. I'm not ragging on you specifically here TNaT, but that whole attitude of "must not stop" needs to change, for some people at least. It's not about getting there on a bicycle, it's about experiencing the ride.
I think what I mean is that, is there were a few more advantages given to cyclists somehow, they wouldn't feel so obliged to ride like jerks. But, perhaps they'd be jerks anyway. I try not to ride like a jerk.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:29 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I prefer "active transportation" to alternative.
Interesting, I haven't heard the term "Active Transportation" used very much. I kind of like it! Isn't every form of transportation aside from walking alternative? Aside from those who cannot, you pretty much have to walk during the beginning of every journey you take and another form of transportation is simply an alternative to just walking to your destination.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I think what I mean is that, is there were a few more advantages given to cyclists somehow, they wouldn't feel so obliged to ride like jerks. But, perhaps they'd be jerks anyway. I try not to ride like a jerk.
First of all I agree, cyclists being human, there will be a small number of jerks out there who think they're entitled to have the world defer to them. Just like a small number of drivers. The problem is, there is an issue with how the 'general public' views cyclists and these types of jerks make it worse for the all of us. I ride year round on a mix of roads and paths, and I always try to be super respectful and communicate with the drivers around me, wave, etc. first of all so that they can be aware me and my intentions, and 2nd of all do my small part in trying to dispell the myth that all cyclists are hooligans.

On the other hand, when we share the paths with pedestrians, we have a responsibility to them to respect their safety since we're 'the bigger faster' vehicles on the path. If anyone's really interested in biking and biking advocacy in the city, check out and in get involved with something like bikecalgary.org. Sorry for the soap box!

With that said, not all speeders out there are just out to get their personal bests! A lot of them are probably like me, whose ass is more spongy than hard and just wants to get home to see his wife & kids, and would gladly get home a few minutes faster (but not at the expense of someone else). If the city will provide reasonably safe, more direct routes for commuters I'm all in since many of the bike paths are designed primarily for recreation, not commuting. And in the summer they are packed (well esp along the river).

I have heard of one city (forget which one) that has just recently given cyclists the ability to treat stop signs as yields on certain on road bike routes. I think this could work well, although it would need lots of education of drivers, etc. Stopping and starting does add up a lot on a bike...

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:15 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam View Post
If the city will provide reasonably safe, more direct routes for commuters I'm all in since many of the bike paths are designed primarily for recreation, not commuting. And in the summer they are packed (well esp along the river).
I'm all for better routes. Bringing up the "gold plated" bridge project, I'm less than impressed with it's location - there are already two good pedestrian bridges within a km of it - from my books it mainly benefits those immediately north of the bridge. I would have rather seen a new crossing around the Langevin bridge, since that one is a pretty poor crossing to share with cyclists and pedestrians. As far as design goes, if they are going to spend big $$ on it, I just hope it's wide enough that they can designate a center strip for cyclists with pedestrians along the edge. As long as cyclists keep a respectful speed (10-15km/hr) I think this could work to help speed up the commute for cyclists, and improve the safety for pedestrians.

Quote:
I have heard of one city (forget which one) that has just recently given cyclists the ability to treat stop signs as yields on certain on road bike routes. I think this could work well, although it would need lots of education of drivers, etc. Stopping and starting does add up a lot on a bike...
Interesting idea. I don't think I would have a problem with this as long as it's a yield only when no other cars are present. I wouldn't want to see cyclists just whizzing on through because they think they are going to get to the intersection first. Frankly, I already do this - If I have a clear line of sight and I see no cars, pedestrians or Police I ain't going to stop.

On another note, I see the city has re-lane marked 11st SE between 46th Ave and 58th Ave (may extend beyond this, but that's what I drove) with three lanes - two driving lanes and a center left turn lane, with the extra space freed being turned into outside cyclist lanes. I'm liking this design as it keeps cars from squeezing to the right to get around left turning traffic, and the cycle lane is of a decent size. I hope to see more of these.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I would have rather seen a new crossing around the Langevin bridge, since that one is a pretty poor crossing to share with cyclists and pedestrians.
Fortunately that is where the second pedestrian bridge that is coming out of this funding will be close to (it will be just east of there)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 6:25 PM

I think these may have been two of the previously mentioned cyclists:

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

At 4:40 AM this morning (June 8th, 2009) two bicyclists were riding toward each other on a bike path under a foot bridge near the Calgary Zoo near St. Georges Island. Both riders were travelling at a fast speed and came to a sharp curve in the path, which had a depression in the cement. When the two met up at this sharp corner at the exact same time, in the dark, with no lights on their bikes, and no helmets, you got it, they collided! Both riders suffered head injuries and were transported to Hospital. One of the riders was initially considered life threatening but his condition had been upgraded to stable. One male suffered a minor concussion, the second suffered a broken jaw. Both males are aged between 40 - 50 years old.
Source

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
When the two met up at this sharp corner at the exact same time, in the dark, with no lights on their bikes, and no helmets, you got it, they collided!
Pretty tacky wording for an official government press release. What's next, Keystone Cops music in the background of drinking-and-driving crash footage?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I think these may have been two of the previously mentioned cyclists:

Source
I reckon this collision occurred under that "jungle looking" suspension bridge, I guess the city can fall back on the signs that say your only supposed to do 10km/h..would be nice if they created some sort of divider and widened the path a bit there...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 1:20 AM
IMHO

Two cyclist collide under zoo suspension bridge

Let's see - dark, no lights, high speed, blind corner. As a regular cyclist through that stretch, I'm disappointed there will be no Darwin award for those two.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 1:36 AM

As someone who has finally started cycling again and exploring many of the paths/bike lanes both for recreation and transportation I really think some further thought needs to go into the pathway speed-limits. 20km/hr across the board is simply not logical nor practical, especially given only a small number of cyclists actually have speedometers. Imposing a rule that no one can realistically follow (due to no way of comparing themselves to the metric) simply creates a feeling that the rule should be ignored as an insult to common sense.

Open, clear sections of trail with separated pedestrian paths can easily handle much higher speeds whilst the many underpasses and blind corners require one to go very slowly to be able to safely stop in the event of something unexpected. The only way to effectively moderate this is through education and physical design - I suspect simply posting a speed-limit has minimal effect.

I, personally, would like to see the city remove speed restrictions (or at least raise them) on areas where there are dual paths and clear sightlines. In exchange I think it would be reasonable to create strict limits as well as physical barriers (speed bumps, rumble strips, bollards, whatever) on sections where lower speed is necessary. Riding on the road remains a fairly dangerous proposition - while most drivers are actually quite respectful there are still more than enough that are either clueless or actually intent on causing harm. For cycling to take off as a means of transport there needs to be safe areas where bicycles can be used to their max. For now that is largely restricted to pathways. It is good to see the effort that is being put into expanding and renovating the cycling network but there is still a long way to go. (The rapidly appearing and disappearing bike lanes are a pet-peeve of mine, they almost do more harm than good)

That being said, there is a lot that can be done by pedestrians to increase their own safety on the pathways. You do not need to walk 4 people wide. You do not need to let your dog run wild. You do not need to stop suddenly in the middle of the path. Try walking on your side of the path when you see oncoming traffic. Try walking on the "pedestrian" part of the divided path. Try actually moving to the side when you hear a bell (to the RIGHT side of the path - this is North America, we learn this in Kindergarten). And PLEASE people, LEASH YOUR CHILDREN!!

Anyways... I try to be a respectful cyclist on both the pathways and roads - but a quick ride on a weekend around downtown & the Elbow and my concern for the lives of others (and others children...) goes down rapidly. As long as the rules and social behaviors continue to be biased against cyclists people will take the easy way out and use their cars (or become agressive, ornery, cyclists). I'm not advocating complete freedom but I think some more creative solutions can be developed and implemented... for much less than the cost of a single interchange. Physically delimited bike lanes on some major roads would be a good start, separated from both pedestrians and vehicles.

http://www.bikexprt.com/bikepol/faci...ike%20lane.jpg

and

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...s_bikelane.jpg

for example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure