HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:56 PM

Looks like some crews are starting prep work for Phase 2a of the Mudd Creek realignment project on Oxford St.

https://getinvolved.london.ca/mud-creek-phase-2

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:14 PM

Hamilton and Gore redesign report showing options.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=100096

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:41 PM

Detailed plans for the rebuild of Glendon Dr. from the 402 east to the Thames bridge. Of note is the plan to close off Old River Road on the north end and shift the intersection westerly away from the bridge.

Will also include 2 new roundabouts at Komoka and Vanneck.

file:///home/mendoncat/Downloads/Glendon_Corridor_Drawings.pdf

PIC slides:
https://www.middlesex.ca/sites/defau...compressed.pdf

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 8:07 PM

LFP article on road improvements in St. Thomas area.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-road-upgrades

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 5:17 PM

Update on the road upgrades for Highway 3 with engineering firm hiring. Hopefully means detailed design plans can be made and the general contractor RFP can be issued by end of 2024 early 2025.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/major-high...lant-1.6494068

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 5:03 PM

The importance of road engineering to safety cannot be understated. Traffic engineers know how to design roads to maximize safety and volumes for all users. Politicians simply don't.

We have far too many examples of bad engineering design in the London area. ie: obstructed view left hand turns lanes, Highbury Ave south of the 401 to St. Thomas, missing smart traffic light management system (Why hasn't it been installed yet?), advanced left turn signal lights and no left turn red lights to prevent people from still trying to turn left.

There are so many design and management techniques that can be used to improve safety yet the City traffic planning department is always reactive to problems rather then proactive in advance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...-say-1.6919986

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:14 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
The importance of road engineering to safety cannot be understated. Traffic engineers know how to design roads to maximize safety and volumes for all users. Politicians simply don't.

We have far too many examples of bad engineering design in the London area. ie: obstructed view left hand turns lanes, Highbury Ave south of the 401 to St. Thomas, missing smart traffic light management system (Why hasn't it been installed yet?), advanced left turn signal lights and no left turn red lights to prevent people from still trying to turn left.

There are so many design and management techniques that can be used to improve safety yet the City traffic planning department is always reactive to problems rather then proactive in advance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...-say-1.6919986
I know someone who got hit at this intersection. Someone turned the wrong way onto Queens and head-on... car was totaled but luckily they were all right.

We're getting better at redesigning intersections but we still have a LONG way to go.

Being from London I get annoyed by the 'advanced left turn signal lights and no left turn red lights to prevent people from still trying to turn left.' I want to turn left, there's no oncoming cars or pedestrians, but the left turn arrow is red. A general green light would let me make this turn without waiting for another needless light cycle. It also reduces the number of cars that can turn left especially if there is little oncoming traffic.

Some spots in London do have this design however - like Wharncliffe and Wonderland. It grinds my gears so much more than it probably should when I can't turn left from Wharncliffe to Wonderland when there is nothing oncoming and the light is green yet red for left turns. Windsor is also full of them.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 12:20 PM

A smart traffic light management system can address the light sequences and timings to deal with these issues. The city announced over 2 years ago the plan to install a system and spend millions of the BRT funding on it. Where is it? Would be nice to see a status update posted on their website or some media coverage as this one project would have a huge impact across the city.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
A smart traffic light management system can address the light sequences and timings to deal with these issues. The city announced over 2 years ago the plan to install a system and spend millions of the BRT funding on it. Where is it? Would be nice to see a status update posted on their website or some media coverage as this one project would have a huge impact across the city.
It is a long term process to update all the intersections on major roadways in the city. It is planned to be completed by 2027. https://london.ca/living-london/road...raffic-signals

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I know someone who got hit at this intersection. Someone turned the wrong way onto Queens and head-on... car was totaled but luckily they were all right.

We're getting better at redesigning intersections but we still have a LONG way to go.

Being from London I get annoyed by the 'advanced left turn signal lights and no left turn red lights to prevent people from still trying to turn left.' I want to turn left, there's no oncoming cars or pedestrians, but the left turn arrow is red. A general green light would let me make this turn without waiting for another needless light cycle. It also reduces the number of cars that can turn left especially if there is little oncoming traffic.

Some spots in London do have this design however - like Wharncliffe and Wonderland. It grinds my gears so much more than it probably should when I can't turn left from Wharncliffe to Wonderland when there is nothing oncoming and the light is green yet red for left turns. Windsor is also full of them.
Wellington NB at Exeter. We lost the right turn lane so they can make 2 left turn lanes, and you can't turn left on NB green, only with the advanced. Colonel Talbot in Lambeth, no lefts except on advanced, although I see people do it anyway. I believe Fanshawe WB at Wonderland is advanced only. Highbury NB at Fanshawe, same thing. Too many of these.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:58 PM
User Registered

I think with a double-left (or triple-left) turn lane, you need a 'protected' left turn signal because cars that enter the intersection during a green light may block through traffic depending on the intersection design. There's also more that could go wrong / more conflict points so I understand why they make it this way.

Just need to make sure those in the turn lane(s) are paying attention. Due to long light cycles and a short time to make the left turn, anyone who isn't paying attention and just staying there stopped can decrease the number of vehicles that make the turn, adding to long queues.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post

This. I use that intersection almost daily, and I don't get why it is designed like that.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 5:26 PM

Overnight road closure of Southdale for paving to start Aug 13th.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/overnight-...sday-1.6516508

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 11:10 AM

Oxford St and Quebec area to have lane closures.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/more-roadw...ndon-1.6516500

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 11:33 AM

Reduced lanes at Oxford and Platts Lane.

Planning and Vision at it's finest with school to start in a few weeks.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/reduced-la...egin-1.6519038

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 11:38 AM

Debate on signal lights for intersection at Commissioners and Sheffield. Why hasn't the internal connection to allow another exit to Hamilton been opened up yet?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/deadly-int...ghts-1.6519496

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Debate on signal lights for intersection at Commissioners and Sheffield. Why hasn't the internal connection to allow another exit to Hamilton been opened up yet?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/deadly-int...ghts-1.6519496
Do you know if there is even a plan to connect those 2 neighbourhoods? The east end of Holbrooks says "future through street", while the west end of Oriole had a zoning sign saying "open space". I would expect that if the intent was for Oriole and Holbrook to meet, that there would be the little dead end stub at the end of Oriole with a "future through street" sign on it instead of a finished curb.

The only other possible connection I see could be Darlington to Constance, but it's also not obvious those 2 would ever connect either. Darlington could just end up being another court with houses on it, and Constance could just as easily (and more likely will be) connected to Commissioners.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Do you know if there is even a plan to connect those 2 neighbourhoods? The east end of Holbrooks says "future through street", while the west end of Oriole had a zoning sign saying "open space". I would expect that if the intent was for Oriole and Holbrook to meet, that there would be the little dead end stub at the end of Oriole with a "future through street" sign on it instead of a finished curb.

The only other possible connection I see could be Darlington to Constance, but it's also not obvious those 2 would ever connect either. Darlington could just end up being another court with houses on it, and Constance could just as easily (and more likely will be) connected to Commissioners.
Yeah, earlier plans show that Holbrook and Oriole were intended to be connected, but it looks like that plan is now gone as the updated site plan shows the eastern end of Holbrook as a cul-de-sac with a walkway (too small for a road).

https://sifton.com/wp-content/upload..._SiteMap-c.pdf

Looks like Constance will instead be extended to connect to Sheffield, as seen in the map from the Sifton website.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:20 PM

Talbot CP bridge eats another vehicle.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/talbot-str...gain-1.6539140

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
This. I use that intersection almost daily, and I don't get why it is designed like that.
I sell traffic equipment and have been working with City of Halifax NS on some designs that also include these "no left without green arrow" intersections. These are usually established on high-risk intersections for accidents when turning left. I've seen them used here more for pedestrian safety, but that's usually the reason. Some behind-the-scenes traffic study recommended it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure