HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:18 PM

Map of Calgary's Full Service Transit Routes

As some of you may know, I did a project while in school(and continue to add to it) on full service transit coverage in various cities.
I finally got around to doing Calgary's, which turned out to be one of the most complex cities to map out, due to the vary confusing route structure.

Anyway I thought you might like to see the map.
All routes listed on the map operate until at least midnight, seven days a week.
It seems the north end for some reason gets a lot more late night coverage than the south. Please remember this is just an overview map.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...92738,0.727158

If you want to see how Calgary compares to other Prairie cities, here are Edmonton and Winnipeg's full service maps.

Edmonton
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...90c0f776&msa=0

Winnipeg
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...9125001e&msa=0

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:33 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

What, you have a problem with a bus that starts on one street going in one direction and ends up in some completely different part of town going in a different direction?

Definitely much more intuitive when a streetcar on Queen stays on Queen.

Most of the bus routes in Calgary are simply designed to scoop up everyone in the community (or several) and dump them off at the nearest LRT station, rather than actually going anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:40 PM

Very Interesting, will be examining in detail,

Just a head up though, I noticed an error for line 11 (route 36) you missed the second half of the route where it goes up into the Ogden/Lynnwood Community.

Also what's up with line twelve, its on the 302/24 route but doesn't go all the way into downtown? Do either of those routes even run that late on weekends?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andasen View Post
Very Interesting, will be examining in detail,

Just a head up though, I noticed an error for line 11 (route 36) you missed the second half of the route where it goes up into the Ogden/Lynnwood Community.

Also what's up with line twelve, its on the 302/24 route but doesn't go all the way into downtown? Do either of those routes even run that late on weekends?
I don't have the downtown detail in there. Sorry I should have made that clearer, and I am still working on the map.

As for some routes looking shorter or cut off. That could be because the map only shows service operating after midnight. I know there were two or three routes which only had a portion of the route operating after midnight, so only the portions running after midnight show up.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

What, you have a problem with a bus that starts on one street going in one direction and ends up in some completely different part of town going in a different direction?

Definitely much more intuitive when a streetcar on Queen stays on Queen.

Most of the bus routes in Calgary are simply designed to scoop up everyone in the community (or several) and dump them off at the nearest LRT station, rather than actually going anywhere.
To be honest the thing I found confusing is that Calgary Transit seems to have different route numbers based on direction of travel, for what is basically the same route. Particularly on the circular routes. But even some routes have different numbers just because they loop via a different direction at the end of the route.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
I don't have the downtown detail in there. Sorry I should have made that clearer, and I am still working on the map.

As for some routes looking shorter or cut off. That could be because the map only shows service operating after midnight. I know there were two or three routes which only had a portion of the route operating after midnight, so only the portions running after midnight show up.
Ah, makes sense on the downtown front.

For the Line 11 I just double checked and it indeed goes up into Ogden/Lynnwood after midnight

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Ah, makes sense on the downtown front.

For the Line 11 I just double checked and it indeed goes up into Ogden/Lynnwood after midnight
Thanks I will adjust that. There are probably some mistakes as the Calgary Transit schedules are horrible. I don't know why they don't have PDF versions like every other system.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Thanks I will adjust that. There are probably some mistakes as the Calgary Transit schedules are horrible. I don't know why they don't have PDF versions like every other system.
I feel your pain, I had to struggle through the same when I did an analysis of the effects of frequency of connecting routes on the ridership of Rapid Transit lines in Vancouver + Calgary for a class last semester.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:54 AM
Hare Expert

This map confirms what I have found to be true through experience: Coach Hill and the surrounding areas get shafted at night.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:14 AM

Something weird I just noticed. Everything 'South' of the River is only really serviced by the 72/73. Two routes connect to the LRT but don't really start having stops until they cross the river. As Mike filles in downtown this may change but so far it seems really disturbing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Something weird I just noticed. Everything 'South' of the River is only really serviced by the 72/73. Two routes connect to the LRT but don't really start having stops until they cross the river. As Mike filles in downtown this may change but so far it seems really disturbing.
Remember that these are routes which have service operating until midnight(last trips going out at midnight or after).

The south had some routes which operated until 10 pm or even 11pm on Sunday's. But those route won't show up as they don't have service until midnight or after, seven days a week.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:51 PM

One issue is that there is a limited amount of items that get displayed in Google Map, and some routes got thrown onto page 2.

To view all the routes that mike drawn, you have to type in the following link in the search box:

Code:
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&vps=2&authuser=0&msa=0&output=kml&msid=217137860701581068890.0004c23295b58956aec22

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:34 AM
Transit Nerd

I love how it looks like Winnipeg has zero to no suburban service to the South of it. Also love how my house is close to three routes.

Calgary, the fact that the system cuts out at 11-12pm pisses me off. A city of a MILLION should at least have it running til 1am before last trips of the night...

I know the feeders dont get much, if any, late-night ridership. But I'd rather have a one-car LRT combine running around providing at least core service, than spend $50 on a taxi or walk 4-5 hours from Chinook to Crowfoot...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
This map confirms what I have found to be true through experience: Coach Hill and the surrounding areas get shafted at night.
Quote:
Something weird I just noticed. Everything 'South' of the River is only really serviced by the 72/73.
I think this is reflective of market demand. Reality is, South Calgary is way more car centric than the North, even after normalizing for population.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure