HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:26 AM
lurker

Im sorry if I missed it, but is there an estimate of the site prep timeline on this.. as in are they expected to start on this project at any time in particular?

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
Im sorry if I missed it, but is there an estimate of the site prep timeline on this.. as in are they expected to start on this project at any time in particular?
Groundbreaking is listed as "October" in a city document and in an early article. I have not seen anything other than that published. We should be hearing something more specific soon because of the amazing rate of the reservations.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:21 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I would have thought more people would want a north facing unit. Granted the river view is nice, but there is a lot of greenery to be seen to the north/northwest.
I'm with you, Kevin. Reserved a (small, but enough) home facing north. Now I have to live in near destitution while I save like never before! So worth it, I love this building.

Cheers to a Walkable Austin.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:21 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I'm with you, Kevin. Reserved a (small, but enough) home facing north. Now I have to live in near destitution while I save like never before! So worth it, I love this building.

Congrats. I'm jealous.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:

congrats!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 1:54 AM
Meh

Quote:

That's awesome, dude, congrats!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Congratulations!

Did they give you a firm date for construction or was it more of a vague estimate?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 11:41 PM
Love Austin

Ha, thanks. We'll see...

No break date. Guessing Dec/Jan. I'm confident that barring an economic bump (or more) this thing is happening. The development team is as good as it gets.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:10 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Man, I wish they could add a few floors to this tower.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:43 PM
Meh

http://www.wsj.com/articles/independ...xas-1436888953
Quote:
Independent Will Tower in Texas
New 58-story condo property in Austin will reach 685 feet in height

By MATT HUDGINS
Updated July 14, 2015 4:29 p.m. ET

AUSTIN, Texas—Locals here like to say that everything is bigger in Texas, and that will certainly apply to the state capital’s newest planned residential tower. At 685 feet in height, the 58-story building, named the Independent, is slated to be the tallest predominantly residential building west of the Mississippi River.

Aside from its height, the Independent illustrates a notable change in the Lone Star state: a shift away from a long-standing tradition of residents and developers embracing the wide open spaces with sprawl construction and spacious homes. By contrast, the Independent will stack nearly a million square feet of space in 370 condominiums and a smattering of ground-floor retail onto a mere 1.7-acre site.

Even more surprising, more than 90% of the condos have been reserved during the first week of presales even though construction won’t actually begin until later this year. A joint venture of Austin companies Constructive Ventures and Aspen Heights plans to announce financing details for the $300 million-plus project in the next few weeks, aiming for completion in 2018.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:49 PM
Member since 2001

Splitting hairs here...someone want to tell Matt that it's 688' not 685'?

God, I wish they would add floors. Soon Dallas will have two taller than this pathetic thing...much taller (i.e., Pacific Plaza Park project).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:15 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
God, I wish they would add floors. Soon Dallas will have two taller than this pathetic thing...much taller (i.e., Pacific Plaza Park project).
I thought the Pacific Plaza Park proposal was a long shot idea from a random Turkish developer. Does it actually have funding now?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:52 PM

Perry Lorenz was qouted in the article that it is now acceptable to have a condo just over 600 sq ft...
My bedroom, bathroom and walk in closet is close to 600 sq ft. That hardly seems adequate space for a bedroom, kitchen, dining, living room, and bath. And especially not for $300,000. View and location aside, that's way too small, 675 sq ft.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:41 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Perry Lorenz was qouted in the article that it is now acceptable to have a condo just over 600 sq ft...
My bedroom, bathroom and walk in closet is close to 600 sq ft. That hardly seems adequate space for a bedroom, kitchen, dining, living room, and bath. And especially not for $300,000. View and location aside, that's way too small, 675 sq ft.
Thankfully for them (and for Mother Nature), your opinion is not shared by all. I personally love living in a small, efficient space in a kick ass location and am happy with thier price/sqft.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:47 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
675 square feet is totally adequate for a lot of people. If your closet is that big, you own too many clothes (and I'm a gay man saying that...).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Thankfully for them (and for Mother Nature), your opinion is not shared by all. I personally love living in a small, efficient space in a kick ass location and am happy with thier price/sqft.
I was merely looking at the space my bedroom, bathroom and closet make up, about 600 sq ft and was trying to configure a kitchen, bedroom, ect...in this space and found it difficult to imagine 675 sq ft comfortably accommodating these. Your defensive stance tells me that it is adequate, and I wish you well when you move in. I can't say that I'm not a tad jealous

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
675 square feet is totally adequate for a lot of people. If your closet is that big, you own too many clothes (and I'm a gay man saying that...).
My bedroom, bathroom and closet comprise about 600 sq ft, but my closet is only 10 X 8 and my portion of it is only 4X2. My friend Jeb, who is gay, says you can never have too much clothes so now I don't know who to believe

And after reconsideration, I do spend most of my time in this space, and it is adequate. All that's missing is that incredible view.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It may not be the height most of us would like to see but this building will make a big impact on the skyline. Was driving on 35 into DT from the north earlier this evening and realized just how far over to the right it will be compared to the Austonian. It will be on the other side of 360. Since I live south I don't view DT from the north that often considering there really aren't many good views of the skyline from that side.

The Austonian towers over all the other buildings. Even if the Independent looks alittle shorter than the Austonian given that it's 10 feet lower in elevation, and I doubt it would be noticable, it will still be the only other building to tower over the rest of the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It may not be the height most of us would like to see but this building will make a big impact on the skyline. Was driving on 35 into DT from the north earlier this evening and realized just how far over to the right it will be compared to the Austonian. It will be on the other side of 360. Since I live south I don't view DT from the north that often considering there really aren't many good views of the skyline from that side.

The Austonian towers over all the other buildings. Even if the Independent looks alittle shorter than the Austonian given that it's 10 feet lower in elevation, and I doubt it would be noticable, it will still be the only other building to tower over the rest of the skyline.
Yes. Despite the fact that it's not 900' it will stand out quite nicely and help balance out the skyline by drawing attention away from the Austonian. Now we just need the Waller project to get going.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:55 PM

When we moved into our small condo at the Sabine, we had to really purge a lot of stuff beforehand. A LOT of stuff. And you know, it felt great to be rid of all that baggage. It's amazing how much junk we hold on to that we don't really need. So yeah, 675 sf seems tiny, but it's totally doable.

PS. High ceilings at the Sabine really help make it feel larger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin