HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:51 PM

Beautiful point-tower design. Looks like good orientation to the street as well, but need additional renderings or schematics to know for certain.

This little corner of downtown continues to impress beyond all expectations.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:45 PM
Member since 2001

NOTE: The "new" rendering is over a quarter old (late May 2013). I wonder if they are still playing off that design?!? Chances are that some changes have been made to that specific rendering...

I hope to see this project come out of the ground. However, everything for which KBGE has been contracted to complete could still mean Sutton & Co. & Perry Lorenz are trying to increase the value of this site rather than actually develop it. The renderings released thus far are still a bit too "simple" to allow me to be more confident that this development will happen.

Have they mentioned who has been hired to pre-lease space in any/all of the buildings? I'd be much more confident in the development if they have executed such a contract.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 9:44 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ay-not-be.html

Not going to be a new tallest... but at least it's on track and plan to file permits in November. A little strange they wouldn't have the hotel brand nailed at this point though...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 9:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post

Not going to be a new tallest... but at least it's on track and plan to file permits in November. A little strange they wouldn't have the hotel brand nailed at this point though...
A bit strange, but if it really hasn't changed much from the current rendering then I can't imagine how it isn't going to be a new tallest. But I suppose I'll trust the developer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 10:21 PM

Now I remember what it reminds me of. . .

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:02 AM

my humble opinion

Quote:
[url] A little strange they wouldn't have the hotel brand nailed at this point though...
Thinking about hotel flags not flying in downtown...I bet we're due for a Ritz Carlton.....just my humble opinion.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Thinking about hotel flags not flying in downtown...I bet we're due for a Ritz Carlton.....just my humble opinion.
IDK - Ritz seems to either go for swank resorts (Aspen, Maui, Vegas, Tahoe etc.) or Big Time finance centers (Boston, San Francisco, NY, Dallas, etc.). We may be neither fish nor fowl to them right now. But it's almost certainly in our future at some point.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 2:41 AM

What about Loews Hotels & Resorts

They don't have any in Texas, but their U.S. locations include:

Annapolis
Hollywood
New Orleans
San Diego
Washington DC
Atlanta
Miami Beach
New York
Santa Monica
Orlando
Boston
Philadelphia
St. Pete beach
Nashville
Tucson
Chicago (coming soon)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:29 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:

Yes...and they don't have a real estate agency tagged to lease the office space. Everything Sutton & Co. are saying, at this point, still leads me to believe they are just trying to increase the value of the property; then sell it to a developer who has actual experience in developing $500+ million high-rise projects.

Another point: up until now, they have "marketed" this development to include Austin's new tallest. Now they are "down playing" that notion and saying it will not contain the tallest building in Austin. So what is it? I hope i am wrong; but, I still think they don't really know...because they intend to sell the land once they obtain the proper entitlements for a development of this scope.

Thus far, this project is following an eerily similar path to that in which Tom Stacy took with his "Sixth & Congress development."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yes...and they don't have a real estate agency tagged to lease the office space. Everything Sutton & Co. are saying, at this point, still leads me to believe they are just trying to increase the value of the property; then sell it to a developer who has actual experience in developing $500+ million high-rise projects.

Another point: up until now, they have "marketed" this development to include Austin's new tallest. Now they are "down playing" that notion and saying it will not contain the tallest building in Austin. So what is it? I hope i am wrong; but, I still think they don't really know...because they intend to sell the land once they obtain the proper entitlements for a development of this scope.

Thus far, this project is following an eerily similar path to that in which Tom Stacy took with his "Sixth & Congress development."
I tend to agree. The give away for me was the mention of maxing out the lame 12:1 FAR. The are maxing sell value. They may submit a request to increase far if they don't get buyers at current far.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:07 PM

Sticking with a 12:1 FAR (at least for now) is disappointing. Had they not announced such an ambitious project in the beginning and shown a rendering for buildings with a 12:1 FAR we'd probably still be happy.

They do have something that T.Stacy and their first Rainey project (the twin 50-story towers) didn't have - an investor on board at the time of the announcement: Klabzuba Realty. They also have the demolition permits for the six properties on Red River and Willow St that will need to be cleared. It looks like the last permits they needed were granted on 08/26. They originally said they would file a site plan by the end of August which has now moved to November. This still seems to be more viable than their 50-story towers and the infamous T. Stacy's project ever were.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:06 PM

^. Yeah. On the positive side they are talking about filing plans w the city. More than t Stacey ever did. I have heard Andaz and Ritz have been scoping atx for a while. If this is high end. And it should be for half a billion. Either could be on the table.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 7:32 PM

Hello all – since I lurk here enough I figured I'd just open an account and try to add directly to the great conversation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Sticking with a 12:1 FAR (at least for now) is disappointing. Had they not announced such an ambitious project in the beginning and shown a rendering for buildings with a 12:1 FAR we'd probably still be happy.
Anyway, I wanted to urge some caution about the 12:1 FAR – I'm unsure of all the specifics that will go into developing the Waller Center site. 12:1 is VERY general estimate about other downtown standards, and as I say, it's unclear how tall this building will be. Really, what I have firmly is that the developer wasn't aiming for the tallest building in Austin mark at this point.

The closest I've got to specifics on allowable height for this project is an old city ordinance NO. 001214-102, passed on a Dec. 2000 meeting and provided to me by the city.

Here's the agenda it passed on: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=58030

If you guys are interested I can try to figure out how to host the PDF of the ordinance itself.

The ordinance shows a maximum FAR of 10:1. But with the all the complexity introduced by downtown density bonus program standards for FAR increases and the vagueness about exactly how the lots would work for this project, I really didn't feel conformable reporting a 10:1 FAR. I'm unclear on – I think a lot of people are – exactly how the DDBP will interact with the existing city code. I'm also unsure if it applies to this project at all, or if that ordinance covers even the entire project's area. I'd love to hear any information you all might have on this subject.

Given how uncertain I was about height, I provided the 12:1 benchmark that I understand to be the standard free FAR for most development downtown under DDBP. But that's all that figure is – a benchmark.

Hopefully, we'll have more specifics as the site plan firms up. My impression from speaking with developers here is that the site plan will actually firm up, but that's only instinct at this point.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post

They do have something that T.Stacy and their first Rainey project (the twin 50-story towers) didn't have - an investor on board at the time of the announcement: Klabzuba Realty. They also have the demolition permits for the six properties on Red River and Willow St that will need to be cleared. It looks like the last permits they needed were granted on 08/26. They originally said they would file a site plan by the end of August which has now moved to November. This still seems to be more viable than their 50-story towers and the infamous T. Stacy's project ever were.
Klabzuba's current real estate portfolio consists of the following:

Gravel Drive
A 188,000 square foot industrial warehouse in Fort Worth
One Alamo Center
An eight-story 166,000 square foot office building in downtown San Antonio
The Belvedere
A nine-story 141,000 square foot office building in Dallas
Suffolk Drive
A 116,000 square foot industrial warehouse in Fort Worth
The Meridian
A six-story 100,283 square foot office building in Las Colinas
12600 Featherwood
A four-story 77,000 square foot office building in Houston
One Hundred Lexington
A four-story 65,000 square foot office building in Fort Worth
Lexington Place
A four-story 27,000 square foot office building in Fort Worth
Stonegate I
A two-story 25,000 square foot office building in Fort Worth
8th Avenue Medical Office Building
A 20,000 square foot medical office building in Fort Worth
Stonegate Plaza
An 18,000 square foot office building in Fort Worth
Ladera Bend
A 45,000 square foot retail center in Austin
The Pearl Hotel
A 55-room high-end hotel in Rosemary Beach, Florida
Park Hudson Place
A 232-unit apartment complex in Bryan

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrattan View Post
Hello all – since I lurk here enough I figured I'd just open an account and try to add directly to the great conversation here.

Anyway, I wanted to urge some caution about the 12:1 FAR – I'm unsure of all the specifics that will go into developing the Waller Center site. 12:1 is VERY general estimate about other downtown standards, and as I say, it's unclear how tall this building will be. Really, what I have firmly is that the developer wasn't aiming for the tallest building in Austin mark at this point.

The closest I've got to specifics on allowable height for this project is an old city ordinance NO. 001214-102, passed on a Dec. 2000 meeting and provided to me by the city.

Here's the agenda it passed on: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=58030

If you guys are interested I can try to figure out how to host the PDF of the ordinance itself.

The ordinance shows a maximum FAR of 10:1. But with the all the complexity introduced by downtown density bonus program standards for FAR increases and the vagueness about exactly how the lots would work for this project, I really didn't feel conformable reporting a 10:1 FAR. I'm unclear on – I think a lot of people are – exactly how the DDBP will interact with the existing city code. I'm also unsure if it applies to this project at all, or if that ordinance covers even the entire project's area. I'd love to hear any information you all might have on this subject.

Given how uncertain I was about height, I provided the 12:1 benchmark that I understand to be the standard free FAR for most development downtown under DDBP. But that's all that figure is – a benchmark.

Hopefully, we'll have more specifics as the site plan firms up. My impression from speaking with developers here is that the site plan will actually firm up, but that's only instinct at this point.
Welcome to the forum. Yeah, the allowable height is still a mystery. The fact that this is a three building project covering about three acres with unknown building footprints combined with Austin's somewhat ambiguous zoning make the height a guess right now. We'll just have to wait until November.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrattan View Post

The baseline F.A.R. for CBD zoning is 8.0:1.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The baseline F.A.R. for CBD zoning is 8.0:1.
That's right. I could have been clearer here – I was including the community bonuses developers can use to get the 12:1 before hitting the fee-in-lieu pay ceiling.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:13 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Jude just posted the latest renderings of Waller Center: http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/0...waller-center/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Jude just posted the latest renderings of Waller Center: http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/0...waller-center/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:49 PM

~50 stories. It's down sized like the ABJ article said it would be. But it looks even better. But I'm not holding my breath for this yet. Once the Fairmont gets going maybe I'll start hoping for this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin