HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's funny that you mention that and I may be the only one here so far that has noticed this but those pants he's wearing don't do a very good job at concealing if you get my drift lol...
Thanks. I had been lucky enough not to notice that because I kept looking at his face and thinking the ABJ must have made a typo and meant "48".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Thanks. I had been lucky enough not to notice that because I kept looking at his face and thinking the ABJ must have made a typo and meant "48".
Nate graduated from St. Michael's HS in 2005. I played basketball with him since we were 10 and can vouch that he is definitely 28 and has been in Austin at least that long.

Nate's parents bought a large house in Barton Creek when he was a freshman in high school and bought him a Porsche Cayenne for his 15th birthday. Nate's parents were never home and/so he threw a lot of parties (and was often accused of trying to buy friends). I actually liked Nate but a lot of people didn't.

Now in terms of his business dealings, I have no idea if he's legit or a house of cards. For my part I hope its real and Austin will benefit.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 9:45 PM

Don't mean to pile it on Mr. Paul, but, if that electric blue suit and orange tie are indicators, this man needs a style consultant. I think that Nate Paul may prove to be an interesting character to watch over time. Most really successful RE developers are NOT shrinking violets. He clearly has a talent for acquiring properties. Developing them takes more time and lots more money, mostly other people's money. He may have to clean up his act just a bit to get his hands on that kind of money. I predict (assuming he stays out of jail or the tabloids) that he will end up being a real player.

Another person to watch (I have been doing my homework on World Class Capital) at World Class Capital is Nate's younger(?) sister, Sheena Paul. She is a UT grad and Duke University Law grad who worked for a time at Skadden, Arps in NY and is now COO of World Class. She plays a quiet role, but she is likely a real asset to the firm, maybe a star behind the scenes.

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Nate graduated from St. Michael's HS in 2005. I played basketball with him since we were 10 and can vouch that he is definitely 28 and has been in Austin at least that long.

Nate's parents bought a large house in Barton Creek when he was a freshman in high school and bought him a Porsche Cayenne for his 15th birthday. Nate's parents were never home and/so he threw a lot of parties (and was often accused of trying to buy friends). I actually liked Nate but a lot of people didn't.

Now in terms of his business dealings, I have no idea if he's legit or a house of cards. For my part I hope its real and Austin will benefit.
Its funny you say that about parties. He has a reputation of liking to party "Wolf of Wall Street" style. Of course, if I was a 28-year-old multimillionaire I'd probably be doing the same thing. That could also explain why he looks older than his age. The gray in his hair may be a trick of the lighting, but he should get those forehead wrinkles botoxed with some of that money. And maybe pick up some new suits. My whole wardrobe probably costs less than that unfortunate blue suit.

Ultimately, he'll be judged not on his looks or his suits but by the success of 99 Trinity, so I'm happy to wait and see. It could be a really cool project.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 10:10 PM

FWIW, there's a new article out today about World Class Capital Group

World Class Capital snags another high-profile site and lures new restaurant chain to Austin
Jan Bucholz
Austin Business Journal
June 16, 2015

Quote:
Real estate wunderkind Nate Paul's World Class Capital Group has secured another choice downtown property and wooed an upscale steakhouse to Austin, as well.

Paul confirmed that a World Class Capital entity now owns property at 50 and 56 East Ave. with plans to eventually redevelop the Rainey Street District site as a high-density project.

"Per current zoning, we could build up to 400,000 square feet on the site by (land use) right," Paul said. "The site has unlimited height restrictions"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Interesting article that can be read in full with the link you provided. Paul is again wearing that horrible blue suit!! The restaurant will go into a building he owns west of the convention center. The property WCC is acquiring at 56 East Ave is currently occupied by the Psychiatric Emergency Services for Travis County, an emergency psych facility run under contract by Integralcare.org. The building is a 24 hour magnet for deeply troubled people including a lot of homeless people or people on bad drug trips. I hate to sound like Scrooge, but this is a huge win for the Rainey neighborhood to be getting rid of this facility.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:05 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Interesting article that can be read in full with the link you provided. Paul is again wearing that horrible blue suit!! The restaurant will go into a building he owns west of the convention center. The property WCC is acquiring at 56 East Ave is currently occupied by the Psychiatric Emergency Services for Travis County, an emergency psych facility run under contract by Integralcare.org. The building is a 24 hour magnet for deeply troubled people including a lot of homeless people or people on bad drug trips. I hate to sound like Scrooge, but this is a huge win for the Rainey neighborhood to be getting rid of this facility.
And where exactly is that facility supposed to move?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:31 AM

Beats me. The property was previously owned by a quasi-government (County) entity known as the Austin Travis County MH-MR Center. I have knowledge of this place due to prior employment with a state agency that frequently had clients getting services at this facility. It had or has (?) a few emergency overnight beds, but it is basically a triage facility that deals with emergency mental health issues. Frequently all they do there is try to get people emergency psych meds or make appointments for clients to be evaluated at other mental health facilities. The parking lot of the building, located on the Rainey St. side of the building is frequently populated by an assortment of homeless people who use it as an impromptu place to spend the day. There used to be a lot of drug trafficking in this parking lot area. That may have changed. There is no question that Psych Emergency Services (PES) could easily relocate to another location nearby, possibly at the Public Health building adjacent to the RBJ Tower or the MHMR outpatient clinic on E. Second St.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:30 PM

Seton opened a psychiatric emergency department in UMCB last year. Presumably this department will be incorporated into Seton Medical Center at UT when that opens and UMCB closes.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 7:36 PM

I don't think the Seton facility replaced PES. Previously Seton dealt with psych patients through the main ER. This just creates a separate ER and related facilities for psych patients. PES is still in business on East Ave. Here is a link to their site. Maybe they will remain there for a while longer as WCC tenants until the property is redeveloped. http://www.integralcare.org/content/...y-services-pes

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
edit

Last edited by MichaelB; Jun 19, 2015 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:13 AM

DAB has a post about WCC's new Rainey St. District land purchase.
http://downtownaustinblog.org/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

East Ave is going to be a happening little place when all these projects start.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 1:09 AM
Meh

Man, but Rainey Street is a nightmare right now. I rode my bike down there last Saturday, and it was horrible. I couldn't get around the cars, couldn't go between them and they were crawling along. And people were stepping off the sidewalk into the street. It was nuts.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 1:24 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Maybe the city could make the area pedestrian/bike only after a certain time. Someone create a parking area/structure nearby. Make people park there and walk. Maybe behind IHOP or at Lambie & East Ave.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Maybe the city could make the area pedestrian/bike only after a certain time. Someone create a parking area/structure nearby. Make people park there and walk. Maybe behind IHOP or at Lambie & East Ave.
That might complicate things for all the people living in the high rises at the end of Rainey. They would have to drive around the other side of IH35 and up to Cesar Chavez just to get over to the rest of downtown. I guess that a lot of those folks already do that just to avoid the congestion on crowded evenings.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Good point. Forgot about the people that actually live there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:03 PM
World Traveler

Maybe we could cut and cap Rainey Street? Just kidding.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:21 PM

My friends at the Food Truck said that the bar owner do not want a one way street. I would think they would also not a parking structure in one location. As they want people to wander around to both ends and not enter or exit one way. That could loose someone business. It's just to busy and there will not be any solution that will make anyone happy especially the MACC.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:18 AM

Didn't Nate Paul say late 2017 delivery for this one? I'm sorry, but how fast can that construction crew work, because site prep hasn't even begun. Is there anything other than financing holding up this project. Like is there red tape on the city's end?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin