HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 11:39 AM

A few days in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Up!; Apr 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:41 PM
viva el peru

linda la ciudad.....pronto lo visitaremos.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 11:01 PM

I enjoy the coziness of Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 7:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

it’s the pitts!

nice to see and great job — i am a fan of the place.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:03 PM

I have never been to Pittsburgh before, but what I have seen of it online, it has a great downtown and is located in an interesting place. . . topographically speaking. To me, I think "why would you build a city there?" But it makes for some nice scenery and views. I don't, however, care much for most of the housing stock (ugly! IMO).

Anyway, nice photos! I like the misty/foggy weather.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:55 PM
Illustrator, editor

Interesting. Pittsburgh looks moody, in a good way, in these pics. Seems like a nice city.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:16 PM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Enthusiast View Post
I have never been to Pittsburgh before, but what I have seen of it online, it has a great downtown and is located in an interesting place. . . topographically speaking. To me, I think "why would you build a city there?" But it makes for some nice scenery and views. I don't, however, care much for most of the housing stock (ugly! IMO).

Anyway, nice photos! I like the misty/foggy weather.
The reason there's a city here is simple. The location commands control of the Ohio River, the only river that ran from relatively close to the eastern establishments in the 1700s, to well into the interior. In an era where water transportation ruled, this made it a no brainer for a military facility, and then a settlement to grow up around it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrherodotus View Post
The reason there's a city here is simple. The location commands control of the Ohio River, the only river that ran from relatively close to the eastern establishments in the 1700s, to well into the interior. In an era where water transportation ruled, this made it a no brainer for a military facility, and then a settlement to grow up around it.
Yes, initially due to its militarily-strategic position. Proximity to eastern establishments had little to do with it though, since the Appalachians rendered that proximity meaningless at the time. There was very little connection to the eastern seaboard at the time.

It was THE key location to control the Ohio Valley and thus expansion into the west, which the French were attempting to gain a firm stronghold on by building forts from Erie (Fort Presque Isle), down the French Creek (Fort LeBoeuf) to the Allegheny River at Franklin (Fort Machault) and at Pittsburgh (Fort Duquesne) and along the Ohio River (Shenango Town), in order to claim the territory.

Once the French & Indian War and later Indian Wars ended, Pittsburgh became a water transportation hub to reach the Ohio Valley/Mississippi, and then due to its proximity to the nation's coalfields... iron, glass, steel, etc.

So, due to the insane topography, a city shouldn't really be built where Pittsburgh is. But a city HAD to be built where Pittsburgh is. Because of, as you said, military/transportation... and also industrial manufacturing due to coal.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 8:25 PM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yes, initially due to its militarily-strategic position. Proximity to eastern establishments had little to do with it though, since the Appalachians rendered that proximity meaningless at the time. There was very little connection to the eastern seaboard at the time.

It was THE key location to control the Ohio Valley and thus expansion into the west, which the French were attempting to gain a firm stronghold on by building forts from Erie (Fort Presque Isle), down the French Creek (Fort LeBoeuf) to the Allegheny River at Franklin (Fort Machault) and at Pittsburgh (Fort Duquesne) and along the Ohio River (Shenango Town), in order to claim the territory.

Once the French & Indian War and later Indian Wars ended, Pittsburgh became a water transportation hub to reach the Ohio Valley/Mississippi, and then due to its proximity to the nation's coalfields... iron, glass, steel, etc.

So, due to the insane topography, a city shouldn't really be built where Pittsburgh is. But a city HAD to be built where Pittsburgh is. Because of, as you said, military/transportation... and also industrial manufacturing due to coal.
Proximity to the seaboard was indeed important. It wasn't an easy trip by any means, but being within a reasonable distance to the coast was important, as people still traveled back and forth, and supplies needed to be brought through the mountains. They needed access to the Ohio, and the farther east that access point was, the better, as it shortened the tough trip overland. It's why Pittsburgh served as the gateway for early westbound settlers. They would travel light to Pittsburgh, and then buy whatever supplies they would need for when they reached their destination. They would then ride down the Ohio to get as close to their destination as they could. Once settlement expanded into western Ohio, and Indiana, Cincy was by then up and running, replacing Pittsburgh as the gateway, and Pittsburgh then became the place where they would catch a boat to Cincy, and then load up on supplies there. It's why Cincy boomed, while Pittsburgh grew slowly. In turn, as settlers moved farther west, St. Louis would replace Cincy in this role for settlers moving into the western half of the country, which is why St. Louis is the most famous of the "gateway" cities.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:10 AM

^ I get what you’re saying now. I thought your referencing of the eastern locales was related to Pittsburgh’s role as a militarily-strategic location. Which really didn’t have much to do with one another from that standpoint.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos