HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:51 AM

Tim Keane has been facilitating some nice work since his addition to the city. I’m hoping he can speed up some of his timetables. He has been working on some quality projects either way. I just want to see them in place sooner rather than later

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:27 PM

How quickly would the parking changes be implemented if passed?

And in a broader discussion, is there anything the city could do to incentivize less space for parking? Like tax breaks for developers and businesses being contingent on fewer spaces, or could apartments provide cheaper rent for people who don't have cars?

I'm bored at work, so if this discussion doesn't take we can talk about the changes coming to Downtown, which I am a fan of.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/11/1...stleberry-hill

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 3:22 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
What does that have to do with Atlanta?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:09 PM

I think the second one is stupid. We don’t want people driving after drinking but yet we keep a requirement for alcohol establishments to have parking. That’s just plain DUMB! Why should they be any different. If anything you want people to walk to neighborhood bars not drive there.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:07 PM

Atlanta south of I-20 and west of Northside Drive. Despite all the happy talk there's still plenty of declining neighborhoods. Not as urban as Chi-town but same lack of income and opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
How quickly would the parking changes be implemented if passed?

And in a broader discussion, is there anything the city could do to incentivize less space for parking? Like tax breaks for developers and businesses being contingent on fewer spaces, or could apartments provide cheaper rent for people who don't have cars?

I'm bored at work, so if this discussion doesn't take we can talk about the changes coming to Downtown, which I am a fan of.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/11/1...stleberry-hill
I'm not necessarily a huge fan of this initiative. I think its fine as long as the "bright lights" are limited to a small targeted areas like maybe around Centennial Park or the hotel district. But Downtown is finally seeing an uptick in new non-student residential construction and that needs to be cultivated above all else. I'm not sure bright billboards does that.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I'm not necessarily a huge fan of this initiative. I think its fine as long as the "bright lights" are limited to a small targeted areas like maybe around Centennial Park or the hotel district. But Downtown is finally seeing an uptick in new non-student residential construction and that needs to be cultivated above all else. I'm not sure bright billboards does that.
The billboards are scattered throughout downtown.

I’m not a fan of this at all.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:01 PM

Another big issue will be taken up at the 12-13-18 Zoning Review Board meeting.

For more information this is the information booklet on phase II of the zoning ordinance update.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 11:43 PM

Shift atl

I think this is pretty cool.

Quote:
SHIFT ATL is a City-wide analysis that scores areas based on how suitable they are for living a less car-dependent lifestyle based on current conditions. It provides a customized and data-driven framework for evaluating the state of car-free livability across the city and for assessing our progress in this arena over time. Beyond that, SHIFT ATL is a conversation starter. It's our hope that this initiative will open new dialogues about car-free living in Atlanta, and the interplay of density and land use in transportation planning.

https://gis.atlantaga.gov/shiftatlanta/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

https://gis.atlantaga.gov/shiftatlanta/
I agree, it’s pretty well done. I wish they used the More MARTA transit lines for a future version as well as providing current and future forecast population densities as reference, but it’s still interesting.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I love this.

We always throw around terms like walkability but It's great to have something that we can actually measure see how we're doing and where we can improve. The planning Dept continues to move the city forward inch by inch.

Last edited by Martinman; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:42 PM

The second round of quick fixes to Atlanta zoning ordinance passed committee last week and is headed to Council for a vote. The fixes address accessory dwelling units, parking requirements, missing middle housing & more.

https://www.atlantaga.gov/home/showd...CEGbRFUaiBeLB4

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
The second round of quick fixes to Atlanta zoning ordinance passed committee last week and is headed to Council for a vote. The fixes address accessory dwelling units, parking requirements, missing middle housing & more.

https://www.atlantaga.gov/home/showd...CEGbRFUaiBeLB4
love it.

Also enjoy this small callout-
“Require porches and stoops on new houses when they exist on 50% or more of the existing houses on a block”

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:34 PM

City Tap (new restaurant at the old Midtown Gorden Biersch) is set to open approximately January 23rd.

Last edited by ATLSkyPalaceOwner; Dec 27, 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 8:07 PM

Domestic Migration

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium

Dallas leads all U.S. cities as the largest net gainer with 246 people arriving daily, according to a Bloomberg analysis of 2017 Census data on migration to the 100 largest U.S. metropolitan areas. In 2014, the crown belonged to Houston with 269 migrants per day.

After Dallas, Sun Belt beacons Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta and Orlando round out the top five. Seattle, at number six with a gain of 116 people daily, is the only cold-weather destination in the top 10. The daily influx surpassed 100 people in nine cities, while Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles saw an exodus of more than 100 people every day.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium

Dallas leads all U.S. cities as the largest net gainer with 246 people arriving daily, according to a Bloomberg analysis of 2017 Census data on migration to the 100 largest U.S. metropolitan areas. In 2014, the crown belonged to Houston with 269 migrants per day.

After Dallas, Sun Belt beacons Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta and Orlando round out the top five. Seattle, at number six with a gain of 116 people daily, is the only cold-weather destination in the top 10. The daily influx surpassed 100 people in nine cities, while Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles saw an exodus of more than 100 people every day.

Funny how LA, NYC, and Chicago have the most lost, but yet have the largest number of supertall going up.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Funny how LA, NYC, and Chicago have the most lost, but yet have the largest number of supertall going up.
I did some research on this a handful of years ago and imagine the trend is continuing from articles I’ve read- there’s a large migration from the outer portions of the city and suburbs to other regions, however the city cores are still rapidly increasing in density. I recall this being particularly present in Chicago. Inner Chicago is really booming- they went approved the mega project to create a whole new neighborhood The 78(th neighborhood of Chicago).

I’m always surprised Tampa and Phoenix perform so well from a migration perspective. Also curious what happened to Houston, maybe a large impact from the flooding?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I did some research on this a handful of years ago and imagine the trend is continuing from articles I’ve read- there’s a large migration from the outer portions of the city and suburbs to other regions, however the city cores are still rapidly increasing in density. I recall this being particularly present in Chicago. Inner Chicago is really booming- they went approved the mega project to create a whole new neighborhood The 78(th neighborhood of Chicago).

I’m always surprised Tampa and Phoenix perform so well from a migration perspective. Also curious what happened to Houston, maybe a large impact from the flooding?
I noticed the absence of Houston as well but I didn't think about the flood.

Also, it was mentioned in the article that most of the cities that rank high in international migration also lost population domestically. I would imagine that is the case for NY, Chicago and LA.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:35 PM

All these developments with swimming pools that never or hardly ever see sun. Who needs that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta