HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:41 AM

TURKEY - By Emarg

TURKEY

Welcome to the new thread of Turkey. Enjoy!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:44 AM

Istanbul: City Overview

Istanbul is the most populous city in Turkey and the country's economic, cultural and historic center. Istanbul is a transcontinental city in Eurasia, straddling the Bosporus strait (which separates Europe and Asia) between the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea. Founded under the name of Byzantion (Βυζάντιον) on the Sarayburnu promontory around 660 BCE, the city grew in size and influence, becoming one of the most important cities in history. After its reestablishment as Constantinople in 330 CE, it served as an imperial capital for almost sixteen centuries, during the Roman/Byzantine (330–1204), Latin (1204–1261), Byzantine (1261–1453) and Ottoman (1453–1922) empires. It was instrumental in the advancement of Christianity during Roman and Byzantine times, before the Ottomans conquered the city in 1453 CE and transformed it into an Islamic stronghold and the seat of the Ottoman Caliphate. Under the name Constantinople it was the Ottoman capital until 1923. The capital was then moved to Ankara and the city was renamed Istanbul. The city held the strategic position between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. It was also on the historic Silk Road. It controlled rail networks between the Balkans and the Middle East and was the only sea route between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. In 1923, after the Turkish War of Independence, Ankara was chosen as the new Turkish capital, and the city's name was changed to Istanbul. Nevertheless, the city maintained its prominence in geopolitical and cultural affairs. The population of the city has increased tenfold since the 1950s, as migrants from across Anatolia have moved in and city limits have expanded to accommodate them. Arts, music, film, and cultural festivals were established towards the end of the 20th century and continue to be hosted by the city today. Infrastructure improvements have produced a complex transportation network in the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:44 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:45 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:46 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:18 PM
Baltimore

Ahh...one of my favorite places. The food, the architecture, the beautiful people.. Turkey is just amazing. Great shots man!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 4:05 PM

I concur, great photos! Turkey is one of my favorite countries in the world, of which I have only 3!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:15 AM

Thank you very much! Of course that Istanbul has a special place in my heart aswell

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:15 AM

Istanbul: Nuruosmaniye Mosque

The Nuruosmaniye Mosque is an 18th-century Ottoman mosque located in the Çemberlitaş neighbourhood of Fatih district in Istanbul, Turkey. In 2016 it was inscribed in the Tentative list of World Heritage Sites in Turkey. The dome of the mosque is extremely distinct, and the fourth largest in the city of Istanbul, behind the Hagia Sophia, Süleymaniye Mosque, and Fatih Mosque, respectively. The Nuruosmaniye mosque is part of a larger religious complex, or Külliye, acting as a centre of culture, religion, and education for the neighborhood. The first imperial mosque of Istanbul that integrated both Baroque and neoclassical elements in its construction, Nuruosmaniye Mosque was built in the Ottoman Baroque style. The mosque's muqarnas and its curved courtyard show the influence of the Baroque. The mosque is located on Istanbul's second hill, site of the mosque of Fatma Huton; that mosque was burned due to a fire. In Constantinople, the area of the Nurosmaniye Mosque was close to the Forum of Constantine, where the Column of Constantine still stands. Surrounding the mosque is Istanbul's Grand Bazaar. After the construction of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque, the Nurosmaniye mosque was the first imperial mosque to be built in 100 years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:16 AM

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:16 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice -- i was waiting for a cat pic and you delivered. ha.

cats are the symbol of the city.

istanbul is so much fun to head out, hike around and explore.

then you come back to your home base there and do a turkish sauna.

i miss it, cant wait to go back.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very nice -- i was waiting for a cat pic and you delivered. ha.

cats are the symbol of the city.

istanbul is so much fun to head out, hike around and explore.

then you come back to your home base there and do a turkish sauna.

i miss it, cant wait to go back.
Oh my gosh I'd love to go to a Turkish sauna again. I did that in Kapadokya, in a town called Ürgüp. Such a beautiful place, and what an experience the sauna was. People in Los Angeles rave about Korean spas, but I wish LA had hamams.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Oh my gosh I'd love to go to a Turkish sauna again. I did that in Kapadokya, in a town called Ürgüp. Such a beautiful place, and what an experience the sauna was. People in Los Angeles rave about Korean spas, but I wish LA had hamams.
we only have one real deal style hamam in ny as far as i know. its up in a soho hotel spa that a bunch of russian gangsters own. naturally, it had trump's name on it originally, then they took it off. when they were building it i saw them speed up construction and it killed a worker. nice people, huh? anyway.

on the nice side, we just had a turkish cig kofte chain place open up in greenwich village. those are vegan bulgar meatballs, very tasty and healthy. i loved it in turkey. i walked by, but i need to try it soon.

https://www.nefista.com/en

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:06 AM

^^

Omg, that story

Indeed about the cats. Almost all of them loved me, except for one who scratched me at the doors of the Topkapi Palace. But I didn't care, cause I love animals. Those of the picture in particular were in a square full of kittens which, to my surprise, were very comfortable in front of the people. Never saw that with small cats

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:07 AM

Istanbul: Mausoleum of Sultan Mahmud II

The Mausoleum of Sultan Mahmud II isone of the many hidden gems of Istanbul. Placed in the tourist axis of the Divan Yolu avenue, it's conformed by several sculptures, tombs and two big marble buildings.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:07 AM

Last edited by EMArg; Aug 8, 2020 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:08 AM

Last edited by EMArg; Aug 8, 2020 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:21 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:22 AM

Next page ->

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos