HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 AM

Apologies if this is long, but I'm trying to put together all the problems & solutions in one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post

What's happening here is that when the image pieces are linked one after another, the browser fits as many as it can on one line. If you have a wider monitor it may fit, for example, 3 photos on the first line instead of the 2 that it should. So a piece that should be the start of the second row is instead placed at the end of the first row. If you zoom in, the pictures get larger and that may shift the errant picture piece back down to the next row where it should be.

Experimenting just now.
USC's viewer breaks the image up into pieces if you zoom in. The farther you zoom, the more pieces it uses. Their viewer keeps the pieces together properly when viewing on their own site, but you can view and hotlink those pieces individually, which is what is being done here by some posters. Since they are separate photos, alignment is determined by the browser and the text formatting of the links.

There are 2 ways to get the whole photo reasonably large in one image.

1. You can use the 'print' link as Michael Ryerson has posted, and save the image brought up into the print screen.
2. You can use the 'download' link, which provides multiple sizes and the largest one seems to be bigger than the one provided in the 'print' link.

Both of these options require the poster to re-host the downloaded image on their own photo hosting site.
But, neither of these options will give you the largest version of the photo that's viewable at USC's site.

In order to get the biggest possible image, AND have it all together in one file, you have to use the USC viewer to move around on the image, download each individual piece, and then use another program to stitch these pieces back together, save as one file then upload to your own hosting. I did this for part of a photo of the Angels Flight upper station, to have a very close view. It was a gigantic pain.

The largest 'download' link on USC's site seems to be more than large enough for any whole pictures that will be posted to the thread, and I think anyone posting a whole picture should download and then re-host, but individual pieces can be very interesting to look at for detail. Too many in one post though, and they come across as a jumble and become confusing, at least to me.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcork View Post
Pacific Electric Station in Pasadena

USC

I wish I could get a full size copy of that image
While the PE station is certainly something to look at, to me the real star of this photo is Hotel Green and its two buildings. The original building to the east side of Raymond Ave has been gone for a long time, while the newer west side building is still in use as rental units, and some of its public rooms still cater to wedding receptions and the like.

Since I am one of those who is rather inept when it comes to figuring out computer applications – meaning that all my efforts to attempt to load and use the right type of sites has only resulted in getting a bunch of unwanted junk on my computer that will cost me an arm and leg to have them removed – I am unable to point out the one little surprise about the old east building. There is a small portion that is still there and is part of the old brick barn that replaced the east building. If someone will check Google or Bing street scenes at the south-east corner of Raymond and Green Street you will see the ground floor remains of a small portion of the old hotel building. Then find a photo of the building (and they are out there) and see the small piece of Pasadena history preserved. I worked within about a half mile of this place for over 12 years and was always kind of curious about the odd difference in the appearance, but that was before home computers and the net. So it’s a recent discovery (at least by me).

The old pedestrian bridge crossing Raymond still extends up to the west side of the street.

Last edited by belmont bob; Mar 13, 2013 at 4:59 AM. Reason: it's my other right stupid

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:52 AM

While on the subject of not being able to post photos…(I don’t know why it has to be any more difficult than Facebook??)...but I have in my possession a book with a photo that I guarantee many of you have been waiting to see. No more detail..just take my word. I can scan the photo but I need a surrogate to upload and deliver to the forum...any thoughts (email to someone?)
Hint...it involves streetcars....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:53 AM

Raymond Chandler cameo in "Double Indemnity"
Video Link

Random undated pic of Hollywood Blvd.

LAPL

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcork View Post
Pacific Electric Station in Pasadena

USC

I wish I could get a full size copy of that image
Nice! I wish I could get a full size copy of that image too! I assume the Pasadena Transfer & Storage Co. building still exists today; it used to be a Bally Total Fitness, where I would go work out. From what I heard from an older woman I used to work with, it used to be a luxury car dealership, or something.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
conundrum:

Let me get this straight, the image you posted Chuckaluck looks fine to you while others see the disjointed images?

I had no idea.
__
This is the best that I get from toggle zooming in or out:

USC Digital -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...45/rec/4/rec/4

Apparently this problem may always exist in some form, since we'll never all have the same computer/monitor setup. But if we ensure that we follow this part of the posting rules:

When posting images in the forum which are not your own you are required to provide credit to the originating website of each image . . . The URL must link to a page within the originating website which actually displays the image.

then at least the people who see disjointed images here can easily go to the source and see the whole picture, even if it's smaller than the larger disjointed images put together.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
While on the subject of not being able to post photos…(I don’t know why it has to be any more difficult than Facebook??)...but I have in my possession a book with a photo that I guarantee many of you have been waiting to see. No more detail..just take my word. I can scan the photo but I need a surrogate to upload and deliver to the forum...any thoughts (email to someone?)
Hint...it involves streetcars....
You can email it to me and I'll put it up - prophetmay (at) gmail.com

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
This is the best that I get from toggle zooming in or out:

USC Digital -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...45/rec/4/rec/4

That one has the added problem of the preceding text displacing the first picture. It needed a carriage return after the text so that the first image started on a new line. There's no fixing that one without editing the original post or re-posting it as a quote while adding a carriage return.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
The L.A. Times also ran a nice photo gallery of the Pacific Electric Red Line today. Here are some that (hopefully) we have not seen.

L.A. Times

The link to the article is here:

http://framework.latimes.com/2013/03...c-red-cars/#/0
Maybe I was on this train heading for home on Glendale Blvd. along Echo Park after a day of shopping downtown with my mom. We lived on west side Ewing Street high above Glendale Blvd. and we waited for the red car at Fargo Street, going down thru the subway to shop at Bullocks at 7th and Hill. Most of the time we ate at the lunch counter at the Subway Terminal Bldg.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
You can email it to me and I'll put it up - prophetmay (at) gmail.com
thank you ...I'll do that tomorrow....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
Maybe I was on this train heading for home on Glendale Blvd. along Echo Park after a day of shopping downtown with my mom. We lived on west side Ewing Street high above Glendale Blvd. and we waited for the red car at Fargo Street, going down thru the subway to shop at Bullocks at 7th and Hill. Most of the time we ate at the lunch counter at the Subway Terminal Bldg.
Did you have a sailor's hat? btw, I saw that series in the Times yesterday and this was my favorite shot.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
...but you can view and hotlink those pieces individually, which is what is being done here by some posters...

blah, blah, blah...

Both of these options require the poster to re-host the downloaded image on their own photo hosting site...

Over the past day and a half, we've essentially been talking about two issues, one, the fragmented images and how to resolve the need/desire for large images without the fragmentation and, two, the hot-linking of images to the thread which puts the thread at risk of losing multiple images (perhaps hundreds) when (not if) the originating site undergoes their periodic maintenance or redesign. I cannot encourage you all too strongly to host your own images on a third party site. I use Flickr but for no other reason than it's what I know and what I started with. There are several others, each with their own processes for saving and sharing images but all with the inestimable benefit of placing a firewall between the thread and the dreaded little box sporting the 'x'.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
Those chopped up photos are annoying as hell to lavoid and they make the site as annoying to look at too!

Example, this is the sort of crap I see, screen cap from my machine. (it's at a 50% reduction too) now can you imagine seeing this crap at full resolution? Yes, annoying as hell! I lowered my resolution and still see crap! I also hate to have a 3 foot wide page to maneuver through.
ProphetM's analysis is very good and far more articulate than mine.

A lot of the problem comes down to resolution capability and settings and your monitor and/or settings is likely much different (newer/better/advanced) than mine. Before reading his responses, I returned to your example of disjointed images (I am tired of looking at them so have not reproduced them here). I can obtain the same result you posted by zooming out as you did ("Control" and "-"). However, as counterintuitive as it may seem, if I do the opposite - zooming in ("Control" and "+" ) the pictures line up seamlessly (for me) on both an old-style format and wide screen monitor. As a short term fix, please give this a try and see if you can't convert at least some of the spam into lovely potted meat that you would be proud to serve Mayor Shaw. As I said before, I have found that in most cases, different computer set ups yield different results.

Fingers crossed.

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vinta...many-uses.html

http://museumsanfernandovalley.blogs...1_archive.html

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
1745 E. Seventh Street - Walnut Growers' Building

Circa '38
Lapl

Contemporary
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ork_condos.php
Good find Chuckaluck. I wasn't aware of this building at all.
I would love to see a close-up of the painted decorative ornament at the top. (I wonder if it was always polychromatic)
__

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:25 PM

The "La Toska" Smoke Shop.

ebay

I love this cozy little shop. The counters, walls and even the ceiling appear to be marble.
I am curious about the two button switch below the Santa Fe Cigars sign. Any idea what this is?

...but most curious of all is the 'eternal flame' at the opposite end of the counter.
I guess you could stroll by and light your cigar.
Note there are apples for sale as well.

reverse

below: The "La Toska" was located in the lobby of this building.

The Detwiler/Park Central Building 412 W. 6th Street

http://www.you-are-here.com/downtown/park_central.html
__

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:27 PM

Spam - dog food for humans.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:50 PM

Spam

Although it sure has a bad rep, I like Spam. Growing up during WW2 my mom used to fix it quite a lot. Fix it with eggs or gravy or nothing more than ketchup. But my wife hates it so I never get to eat it. Maybe I need to buy a can for myself. Hahaha.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineeral View Post
I found this picture on a Russian forum for Classic Cinema: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/, in particular the page at: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/88658.html.

The Hollywood Canteen was at 1451 Cahuenga Boulevard (at or near Sunset). It was open to servicemen and servicewomen from all Allied forces. The entrance ticket was your uniform and everything was free.

Another post about the Hollywood Canteen had a different address - can the tower-like building in the background of the picture help confirm the Cahuenga address?
Another person on the list identified the tower in the background as the Hollywood Athletic Club. It still exists. Using proportions from the Hollywood Canteen picture above and a printout from a Google Earth view I drew a line from the club's tower towards Cahuenga Boulevard. The line hits at where 1451 Cahuenga might well have been. Today this is an alley between the office building marked 6430 Sunset and its parking garage. This location looks good for the Canteen because in the Canteen picture there is a Western Auto Supply. The 1942 LA City Directory at LAPL shows one branch at 6465 Sunset. Sunset is the street the other side of the Shell gas station in the picture. Wikipedia cites the 1451 Cahuenga address but also says this is now the site of Amoeba Music. It can't be the record store because Amoeba Music is on the wrong side of Cahuenga for an odd-numbered address.

Last edited by Engineeral; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM. Reason: Fix broken picture link again

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Did you have a sailor's hat? btw, I saw that series in the Times yesterday and this was my favorite shot.
I don't remember having a sailor's hat...but I saw the article too. As old as Mr. Arnett is, he would have great memnories of the streetcars, tunnel and building....I was too young to carry vivid memories, but I do have bits and pieces of those long ago days.

However, I did attend Belmont HS just up the street from the tunnel and we would walk by the place everytime we went into downtown. So even though it was closed by then, I was reminded of the memories on a regular basis.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Good find Chuckaluck. I wasn't aware of this building at all.
I would love to see a close-up of the painted decorative ornament at the top. (I wonder if it was always polychromatic)
__

No info in the ornament, although in the vintage photo above I can see the diamond shape that's still on Diamond Walnut packaging.

LAT

The new building was announced in the Times on February 1, 1920... not sure why it was delayed, although a little incident in the warehouse can't have helped...

LAT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos