odinthor collection

The location had the usual diverse past (and future):

1900:

LA Herald, 7/22/1900

1902 (probably upstairs):

LA Times, 8/31/1902

1913:

LA Herald, 11/26/1913

--Bab's Epicurean Restaurant probably fits in about here; the white-border postcard era commenced 1915.

1922:

LA Times, 6/21/1922

1924:

LA Times, 1/1/1924

1925:

LA Times, 1/17/1925

1926, the Indoor Country Club:

LA Times, 9/5/1926

Still 1926:

LA Times, 9/19/1926

1927:

LA Times, 9/29/1927

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
This isn't something I say often, but it would have been better if they had torn it down.
Sad to say that I agree. They took a beautiful building and turned it into complete garbage.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's a slide looking south from the Statler in 1962.

The seller describes it as. . .

VINTAGE SLIDE SL88 ☆ 1962 LOS ANGELES SKYLINE SMOG.

eBay

If I remember correctly, the large building across the street, and down below, was a. . .ummm. . .Levi manufacturers. . .or. .had something to do with overalls.

Good memory, e_r! The 1921 Baist Map shows that building as an overall factory. It was on Figueroa between Potter Park Avenue (aka 7th Place) and 8th Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Here's the 1921 Baist Map. The Potter home has been replaced by an overall factory (at first I thought, "As opposed to what, a specific factory?"):

USCDL

The overall factory is the 1920 John Parkinson-designed Brownstein-Louis Building (Brownstein-Louis was a men's garment manufacturer). Here it is in 1926, looking NW at Figueroa and Eighth:

LAPL (http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics37/00068155.jpg)

In 1929, the same year this picture was taken, it was converted into an office building. To the right of Brownstein-Louis, you can see the line of apartments on Potter Park Avenue leading down to the Schermerhorn:

USC Digital Library (http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/91427/rec/2)

The Brownstein-Louis Building was torn down, and 7th Place vacated, in 1980 (http://urbandiachrony.wordpress.com/...-st-1929-2011/).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 2:17 PM
BANNED

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1154...656?authuser=0

tumblr

How things have changed since 1948 and stayed the same..click link at the top>>> 360' view...

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:57 PM

Smog

LINK: 35 vintage photos reveal what Los Angeles looked like before the US regulated pollution

I had no idea the smog was this bad, this early! 1940s, and the visibility is one block!

“Smog, 23 September 1949. A man looks south east from City Hall in Los Angeles.”

“Mariellen Morgan wipes away the tears as she is about to get some smog relief from Hank McCullough of West
Hollywood on November 25, 1958 as eye-irritating smog tormented residents for the third day in a row.”

Does anyone recognize the location of the photo of the woman? I tried searching this thread, but couldn't find anything.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
LINK: 35 vintage photos reveal what Los Angeles looked like before the US regulated pollution

I had no idea the smog was this bad, this early! 1940s, and the visibility is one block!

“Smog, 23 September 1949. A man looks south east from City Hall in Los Angeles.”

[...]
Shouldn't that be "south west"? But I'm . . . I'm getting . . . vertigo . . . [faints].

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

tumblr

How things have changed since 1948....see link at the top>>>

In 2015 ER and HossC had posts that included that picture and many more of the intersection:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27136

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27136

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Bab's Epicurean Restaurant, 734-736 S. Spring, Los Angeles

odinthor collection
Interesting post odinthor.

I imagine that Bab's was at the location for a very brief time. ...If that's the case odinthor's postcard is quite rare.

734-736 S. Spring was also the location of a downtown version of the 'Casa Verdugo'.

It opened in 1913. (as the Casa Verdugo)

The history of the famous Glendale 'Casa Verdugo' can be found on paradiseleased's fascinating blog.

We have also covered it here on NLA. (still searching for the old posts)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2021 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

tumblr

How things have changed since 1948 and stayed the same..click link at the top>>> 360' view...

flickr

Here's some of the great food you can get at that taco stand Penny's at York and Fig. Eat drink and be merry noirishers.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 12, 2020 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 12:23 AM

Oct. 23, 1958

gsv

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

“Mariellen Morgan wipes away the tears as she is about to get some smog relief from Hank McCullough of West
Hollywood on November 25, 1958 as eye-irritating smog tormented residents for the third day in a row.”

Does anyone recognize the location of the photo of the woman? I tried searching this thread, but couldn't find anything.
^^^
"I had no idea smog was this bad, this early (1940)"

I remember days in the late 1950s and into the 1960s where the visibility was so bad because of the smog that the Verdugo Mountains and Santa Monica Mountains were invisible from where I lived near Oxnard & Cahuenga in NoHo. The hills were just a few miles away. Sometimes the smog made things less than half a mile away look fuzzy. It was bad especially in late summer and early autumn when the inversions were the worst. Winter was the only season when smog was rare. My parents told me that they recalled smog (not as bad) as far back as the 1920s, when the air had inversions. The air got a bit clearer in the 1930s, when the depression cut auto traffic and economic activity. WW2 brought the first of the bad smog, when the factories cranked up. The pre WW2 smog was called "smoke" or "haze", as the term "smog" (SMOke+foG) hadn't been invented until the 1940s. Smog was also bad in many of the eastern cities, e.g. Pittsburgh, with all the steel plants. An episode in Donora, PA in 1952 killed a lot of people. London of course has bad "pea soup" smog/fog episodes going way back. One episode in the early 1950s killed hundreds. Fortunately the smog problem is orders of magnitude less severe than it was before the 1980s. Severe smog alerts declined sharply after catalytic converters were put in cars in the '70s, and big industrial polluters were controlled. The progress was at first gradual, since it took years to retire the old polluting cars. The first measure taken was in the 1950s, when backyard trash incinerators were prohibited.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
"I had no idea smog was this bad, this early (1940)"

I remember days in the late 1950s and into the 1960s where the visibility was so bad because of the smog that the Verdugo Mountains and Santa Monica Mountains were invisible from where I lived near Oxnard & Cahuenga in NoHo. The hills were just a few miles away. Sometimes the smog made things less than half a mile away look fuzzy. It was bad especially in late summer and early autumn when the inversions were the worst. Winter was the only season when smog was rare. My parents told me that they recalled smog (not as bad) as far back as the 1920s, when the air had inversions. The air got a bit clearer in the 1930s, when the depression cut auto traffic and economic activity. WW2 brought the first of the bad smog, when the factories cranked up. The pre WW2 smog was called "smoke" or "haze", as the term "smog" (SMOke+foG) hadn't been invented until the 1940s. Smog was also bad in many of the eastern cities, e.g. Pittsburgh, with all the steel plants. An episode in Donora, PA in 1952 killed a lot of people. London of course has bad "pea soup" smog/fog episodes going way back. One episode in the early 1950s killed hundreds. Fortunately the smog problem is orders of magnitude less severe than it was before the 1980s. Severe smog alerts declined sharply after catalytic converters were put in cars in the '70s, and big industrial polluters were controlled. The progress was at first gradual, since it took years to retire the old polluting cars. The first measure taken was in the 1950s, when backyard trash incinerators were prohibited.
Hey caliNative...excellent summation of the horrible smog days.

May I add that in the 1950's the smog was so bad that just a few minutes outside and my eyes would sting and begin to water. Any gym class outside would cause my lungs to fill with the foul air. Breathing would be painful and I had to literally stop exercising. Take a deep breath and experience pain in my chest. There was a lot of suffering in those days.

One study they harped on the 1950s was all of the hamburger stands and fast food joints also contributed to the smog. Cities rushed to require filters on all smokestacks poking out of food preparation kitchens in LA County.

KCET

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I had a request from a forum'er for some Sunset Strip photos.

Below: The charming Westside Market at 9009 W. Sunset Blvd. was transformed into the Largo nightclub.

usc digital library

Below: Notice the quaint Villa Nova to the left of the Largo.
Joe DiMaggio took Marilyn Monroe to this Italian restaurant on their first date.

usc digital archive

Below: The Villa Nova.

usc digital library and CENtral_1179

Below: The Villa Nova became the Rainbow bar & grill, and the Largo eventually became the Roxy Theatre.

lindsay shah

Below: Another view of the Westside Market reincarnated as the Largo (pre-Roxy).

unknown

This oft posted image seems to belong with the

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-41PiGbXRK...llywood_CA.jpg

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:11 PM

Thanks for posting the Sunset Blvd. photographs again, Godzilla.

It's interesting to revisit the Westside Market's tranformation into the Largo Club and, eventually, the Roxy. (it's amazing that the original building survived
all the changes)
And there's all kinds of history related to the Villa Nova. (If I remember correctly something pertaining to Marilyn Monroe) ?

Remember this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal reality

Does anyone know where on Wilshire this particular gas station was located? It's quite dark on the other side of the station. Could that be MacArthur Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriffPaul
According to the 1941 Los Angeles Directory there were five Union Oil stations on Wilshire. 2607 is close to MacArthur Park but not directly across the street from it.

I've been thinking about the topography since there are no other clues in the photo. Those street lights on the opposite side of Wilshire suggest there's a small hill ahead, as the lights vanish behind the crest of the hill. But after investigating those addresses, I'm stumped as to which one might be the correct location.
Thanks Sheriff Paul.

I was going through my old files and rediscovered additional negatives from this set. I would have made positive images but, for some reason, the option is missing on my computer. (I used to be able to do it)

oldfile

A closer look.

The building next to the station (in the distance on the right) will hopefully help us determine which of Sheriff Paul's addresses is correct.

oldfile

A closer look.

If anyone is having a slow Sunday feel free to change the images to positive.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
This oft posted image seems to belong with the
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-41PiGbXRK...llywood_CA.jpg

Since I was looking at this today, look at what's planned if you turned around 180° from the above image.

Plus Development Group

The left side is residential, which is supposed to include some low income housing, ?, and the right side is a hotel.

Currently on that block is Terner's Liquor, The Viper Room and aahs! The latter has closed and sits vacant.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Since I was looking at this today, look at what's planned if you turned around 180° from the above image.

Plus Development Group

The left side is residential, which is supposed to include some low income housing, ?, and the right side is a hotel.

Currently on that block is Terner's Liquor, The Viper Room and aahs! The latter has closed and sits vacant.
It looks like the right side melted and fell over onto the left side.

Interesting commentary on bad architectur:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAh_W9hZ1C4&t=802s

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 11:09 PM

Here's an interesting business card from the 1920s.

eBay LINK
...............................................................................................................Harry E. Herndon. ....810 S. Olive....

What makes this card exceptional is that the flipside is a photograph.

No doubt the car is a Stutz-Bearcat since Mr. Stutz is mentioned on the front of the card.

. . .and if I remember correctly, Stutz-Bearcats were very popular with the movie colony. I wonder if the two young ladies are silent film stars!

I'm also curious about that estate in the background.

Not that long ago I posted another business card with a photograph on the back. You can revisit it HERE

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I believe this is the completed "model drive in market". It's seen here at the opening of the Citizen's National Trust & Savings Bank on March 29, 1930. I originally posted a smaller detail view in the final part of my roundup of Citizens Trust & Savings Bank branches.

Detail of picture in Huntington Digital Library

The same post also includes this night shot complete with arrow.

USC Digital Library

Leimert Park evokes similarities of this unidentified drive in market. Numerous SoCal earmarks. Note tower above "Harold's."

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b3/4f/b8/b...rs-mercury.jpg

Gratuitous

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...irca_1930s.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/712/21...9d3c5862_b.jpg

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
While looking for pictures of Wilshire the other day, I stumbled upon this sad picture. Does anyone know the background to this story?

Suicide victim, 26 February 1958. John J. Vandenburgh Junior -- 39 years (jumped from sixth floor of Prudential Building).; Caption slip reads: "Photographer: Paegel. Date: 1958-02-26. Reporter: Thackrey. Assignment: Leaper. These are the mortal remains of John J. Vandenburgh, Jr., 39, who was a statistical analyst for Wilton Becket & Assoc. From sixth floor of Prudential Buliding, 5657 Wilshire."

USC Digital Library

For search purposes: Mullen Bluett and Coulters.

Another glimpse of Coulters and Mullen Bluett. Note, the absence of Lee Tower in the background.

https://i.redd.it/pahbsil1m8w21.jpg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
[...]
I was going through my old files and rediscovered additional negatives from this set. I would have made positive images but, for some reason, the option is missing on my computer. (I used to be able to do it)

oldfile

A closer look.

The building next to the station (in the distance on the right) will hopefully help us determine which of Sheriff Paul's addresses is correct.

oldfile

A closer look.

If anyone is having a slow Sunday feel free to change the images to positive.

Your wish is my command, e_r!:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos