HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
There are no examples of a diverging stack built anywhere in the world. It was only patented in 2015 as the Double Crossover Merging Interchange.
Your correct that none have been built. Though I do remember an early rendering from the city being a DCMI.. this version is much cheaper and quite effective in my opinion

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:20 PM

The original 7 investigated options:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 6:37 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Electronic signage on ramp from SB Stoney to EB TCH at Winsport this morning says 'Construction Complete, Thank You!'. This pertains to the Bowfort interchange and while construction is essentially complete they are still doing finishing touches on landscaping, signage etc. and naturally the construction speed limit is still 50.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 6:57 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^They still have to install the other half of the "artwork" on the north side too - right ?
Why put a sign up saying "Construction Complete" when the speed limit is still 50?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^They still have to install the other half of the "artwork" on the north side too - right ?
Why put a sign up saying "Construction Complete" when the speed limit is still 50?
Exactly my thoughts too. Technically the interchange is officially open to pretty much all the final traffic movements but until the last piece of equipment is gone from the site, ALL the roadway construction is complete, and the construction signs come down then they shouldn't really be saying it is complete.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:39 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
50kph is vastly better than when the light was there and traffic averaged 5kph.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:04 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ I'm not complaining about the 50km speed limit but they shouldn't have a sign saying "Construction Complete" when it is still a construction zone.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Very cool.
Did you just stumble across that doing some research ?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:55 AM

And 49 years later we still have the legacy of that abomination of an interchange, they'd have been kinder to us if they'd built nothing. Literally the worst piece of road infrastructure I have ever seen, save for maybe some of the stuff in Edmonton. Surely in the 60's they had some idea of what worked and what didn't with roads?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 1:08 AM

On a more positive note, work should be starting soon to help fix that past mistake.

Crowchild Trail Study: short-term recommended plan

The bridge widening is supposed to start in the fall. This will massively improve northbound and southbound traffic flow.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
And 49 years later we still have the legacy of that abomination of an interchange, they'd have been kinder to us if they'd built nothing. Literally the worst piece of road infrastructure I have ever seen, save for maybe some of the stuff in Edmonton. Surely in the 60's they had some idea of what worked and what didn't with roads?
Totally agree. No mention in the article about what happened when the Chief was heading east on Bow and wanted to go south on Crowchild...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Edmonton's roads are also a joke, but there's no single interchange in Edmonton as embarrassing and detrimental to the overall road system as Crow/Bow is to Calgary's. Instead, Edmonton just carries its traffic on surface streets and lacks interchanges, period.
I haven't spent too much time in Edmonton to savour its road delights so I'm glad you don't have anything quite so bad, but there were a few places that had a very similar 'feel' to Calgary's worst examples - lots of the approaches to bridges crossing the river for example, and the interchange of Whitemud and Terwillegar. They might not even necessarily function too badly (I wouldn't know), but they just annoy me with their needless complexity and ramps splitting off everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:51 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
On a more positive note, work should be starting soon to help fix that past mistake.

Crowchild Trail Study: short-term recommended plan

The bridge widening is supposed to start in the fall. This will massively improve northbound and southbound traffic flow.
Yayy!
Such a painfully long timeframe for the full Crowchild 24th NW to 17th SW upgrades though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Getting the mid-range plans for completing Crowchild to freeway spec going would sure be a great 50th birthday present..

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:23 PM

From what I've been told, expect whoever wins the Crowchild work to be starting in late October or early November. It sounds like the schedule is pretty aggressive.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:32 PM
Littering and............

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
From what I've been told, expect whoever wins the Crowchild work to be starting in late October or early November. It sounds like the schedule is pretty aggressive.
Great news!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:37 PM
Near Generational

Wrong thread.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Wrong thread.
How is it the wrong forum?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:49 PM

Nice. $87 million seems like great value for the massive improvement this will bring. I'm glad my commute doesn't involve Crowchild for the next two years though!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Nice. $87 million seems like great value for the massive improvement this will bring. I'm glad my commute doesn't involve Crowchild for the next two years though!
$87 million is definitely a lot less than the inflated amounts John Mar and Druh bandied about the last time in their attempts to kill this project. One thing that I will hate with a passion is the artificially low speed limits they will impose for probably the next three years. This project is going to impact me a lot as the alternate routes are too far away to be useful unless there's also a major accident.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure