HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 8:52 AM
Meh

It looks like they'll start digging soon.

Soil retention tieback plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...k%20_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 9:48 PM

This is going to fill the gap between the Monarch and Seven nicely from the pedestrian bridge view. I'm pretty sure Aspen Heights will also be on the Western edge of the Capitol View Corridor as well, giving us a a pretty interesting irregular wall of buildings leading to the Capitol.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 12:25 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
This is going to fill the gap between the Monarch and Seven nicely from the pedestrian bridge view. I'm pretty sure Aspen Heights will also be on the Western edge of the Capitol View Corridor as well, giving us a a pretty interesting irregular wall of buildings leading to the Capitol.

I've often been interested in how the CVC's are going to be realized once buildings pop up all around them - it'll be a really neat affect, I think.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post

Don't forget about The Independent. I believe it'll butt up against the eastern edge of that CVC.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 10:36 PM

Eventually, the view of the capitol from this spot will seem so much like serendipity that it will be stunning. It will seem like an accident but at the same time too perfect to be an accident. It will seem impossible to believe that so much planning and regulation could possibly have been undertaken to guarantee such a view, especially in Texas. And yet there it will be. In all its glory.

I really do envy the people who will look upon this view when it's all built with no knowledge of the capital view corridors. Especially at dusk, when the lighting is just right. Ignorance will be blissful in this situation.

What I hope is that it makes a Texan out of some people. I hope it strikes an emotional cord so strongly that it changes the very core of who they are and they become Texans from that point forward; devoted to this entire state and its people and committed to ushering us into a future of reason and progress.

I think it just might.

The Texas legislature actually got something right in this case. Texas's self-love will have finally paid off. We'll have finally created something special, and one-of-a-kind.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 10:50 PM
Meh

The Seaholm lowrise still bugs me, though. I would have been ok with that part of the development not happening, or at least shrinking the footprint, moving it to the northern half of the lot and stacking it. The rest of the lot where the building is could have been a plaza.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:57 PM

^ The entire area could have been a transportation hub for the proposed Lonestar rail along those tracks.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 8:35 PM

There's a big sign that I read today on Lamar says that their sales center will open in April.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 5:46 AM

Has anyone been by the site lately to check on the progress? Hopefully it's not taking a ZaZa during site prep.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Has anyone been by the site lately to check on the progress? Hopefully it's not taking a ZaZa during site prep.
I was wondering this as well, but I think this one is on much more solid ground regardless.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I was wondering this as well, but I think this one is on much more solid ground regardless.
I agree. The developers of 5th & West seem to be very low key with their sales strategy compared to other projects.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:06 AM

Quote:
It doesn't look drastically different then it did a month ago to be honest. Then again, the last time I walked by was like a week ago. I'll try to swing by the site this week, and I'll give you an update.

I think 500 West 2nd is a good example of a project that really just went from site prep to digging in a short period of time. I like that better because there aren't these lull periods where it feels like something could fall through any minute. They are advertising this on a big billboard off Lamar, so it seems like it's still on. I'm surprised the hole hasn't started though.

It'll feel really good when Waller, the Independent, 70 Rainey, 99 Trinity, Proper, and this one all get cranes up. Hopefully that'll happen within a year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:37 AM

The 5th & West Sales office opens in April (last I heard) which means it could be open now. I would think they would want to show off the site as being well under way for sales instead of showing some dirt that was moved around last month.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The 5th & West Sales office opens in April (last I heard) which means it could be open now. I would think they would want to show off the site as being well under way for sales instead of showing some dirt that was moved around last month.
I think they have been focusing on utility work in West Avenue rather than on the site itself.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 2:59 AM

The sales office opens next week. The competition among all the new condo towers is definitely going to be heating up.

https://www.facebook.com/fifthandwest

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:37 AM
Member since 2001

I'm eagerly awaiting Waller Park Place's new renderings... Even without a true 700' tower, downtown Austin is going to look pretty darn cool!!! However, I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Should Waller not exceed 700', it may me a decade or so before we see one.

In the mean time, we should see more infill towers like Fifth&West...which are can be quite sexy themselves.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:54 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I don't consider 5th and West an infill tower. It'll be a pretty substantial tower in it's own right at 459' and within the top ten tallest including everything currently under construction and if everything else currently in the pipeline gets built (only Fairmont, The Independent, Waller Park Place's two tallest, and 99 Trinity would be taller):

#1/2 - Waller Park Place #1 ~700
#1/2 - Independent ~685 (there's some question as to if the mechanical structure on top is included in this figure)
#3 - Austonian, 683'
#4 - Fairmont, 595' (this would move to #10 if we're discounting the spire... at 456')
#5 - 360, 581'
#6 - Waller Park Place #2 (I think given the floor count it'll probably end up here)
#7 - Frost, 515'
#8 - W, 478'
#9 - 99 Trinity, 467'
#10 - 5th & West, 458'

Crazy to think that it's possible that all but two (Frost and 360) of our top ten will have been finished in 2010 or later if all the current proposals get built, and half of them are not even built yet.

Last edited by wwmiv; Apr 14, 2015 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 9:13 PM
Member since 2001

Sorry...what I meant was that over the coming years, we will more than likely see more towers in the 300'-500' range "filling-in" voids within the current skyline.

Going forward, I believe new towers with rooflines topping 500' will be few and far between (on a time scale). Even rarer yet would be tower proposals exceeding 600' in height.

After this cycle of tower construction, I do not foresee a tower proposal in excess of 700'-750' for possibly a decade or so. I hope I am really wrong, however.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:14 PM

Fifth & West condos open sales offices designed by Austin architect Michael Hsu

Quote:
By Jan Buchholz
April 16 2015

Austin architect extraordinaire Michael Hsu designed the new sales center for Fifth & West, the 39-story condo tower under construction on the western fringe of downtown. The center opened April 13 at 507 West Avenue in a retrofitted 3,000-square-foot building that dates back to 1940.

“What is exceptional about the first floor of the sales office is that every material used in the build-out is the same material that will be used at Fifth & West,” said Riverside Resources spokesman Scott Dunaway.

Austin-based Riverside Resources is the developer of Fifth & West, which now is fully funded.

Rogers O’Brien Construction is the general contractor at Fifth & West. Currently, utilities are being relocated at the site. Excavation for the underground parking garage should begin within 30 days and vertical construction is expected to begin in October. Riverside Resources is aiming for completion in fall 2017.
http://m.bizjournals.com/austin/blog...signed-by.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:47 AM

April 16, 2015

A whole lotta nothing going on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin