HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 9:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Suburban development doesn't seem to be as considerate to the environment. I'd expect more within city limits.
... it's an function of space, not an issue of (necessarily) consideration of the environment.

Because this project is taking up less space than a typical suburban project with the same number of units, we are necessarily destroying less trees when we build this project than when we build the equivalent suburban project.

Thus, building urban is by definition better for the environment than building suburban.

For every dense urban development that occurs, there exists less need to build typical suburban developments of equivalent size. Thus, I will always support these dense centrally located developments regardless of the number of trees they displace or destroy. And I will support them precisely because they are the more environmentally friendly choice.

One exception to this: parks are needed in some places, but this is not one of those places because there is easy access to the greenbelt for this entire corridor.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 9:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^Definitely. I look at our street often and wonder how many trees were bulldozed to make way for it. And even though the developers did a good job of building the houses between the trees, I'm sure some were cut down to make room.
Amen brutha.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
... it's an function of space, not an issue of (necessarily) consideration of the environment.

Because this project is taking up less space than a typical suburban project with the same number of units, we are necessarily destroying less trees when we build this project than when we build the equivalent suburban project.

Thus, building urban is by definition better for the environment than building suburban.

For every dense urban development that occurs, there exists less need to build typical suburban developments of equivalent size. Thus, I will always support these dense centrally located developments regardless of the number of trees they displace or destroy. And I will support them precisely because they are the more environmentally friendly choice.

One exception to this: parks are needed in some places, but this is not one of those places because there is easy access to the greenbelt for this entire corridor.
I was referring to the city about taking the environment into consideration, but I totally agree that dense, urban development is better for the environment than suburban sprawl. Obviously property value plays a huge part too.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:00 PM

It looks like Eskew Place at 3600 S. Lamar has had a name change. It will now be called GreenView.

South Lamar GreenView project unveiled with intense buyer interest
Mar 17, 2015
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal

The article has a rendering.

Here is another rendering from the architect's website:

Kelly Grossman Architects

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:20 PM

Looks very... vehicle oriented. Still good for density.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:37 PM

^^ Is this what's next to Red's Porch? ^^

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:25 PM

^^Yes. You can see the Red's Porch sign in the background of this photo taken about 5 weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 7:26 PM

Left turns into there will be a mess! And so close to the terrible Hobby Lobby/Wheatsfield vs Lamar interchange with the very long light pattern. Will be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

At least they have a center lane in that area, so people turning left into the complex won't block northbound traffic. But it will require friendly southbound drivers during rush hour to get in there.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
Left turns into there will be a mess! And so close to the terrible Hobby Lobby/Wheatsfield vs Lamar interchange with the very long light pattern. Will be interesting.
I can't remember the exact rules but depending on how many units they have they are supposed to have 2 exits. I wonder if they will have an exit into either Red Porch's parking lot (north) or the Retreat At Barton Creek's driveway (south), which is part of a lighted intersection with Pack Saddle Road. It may be that this is too small to require multiple exists. At least they changed the name from Eskew Place to GreenView. I was not a fan of the original name.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:42 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
At least they changed the name from Eskew Place to GreenView. I was not a fan of the original name.
Did anyone here Eskew for your opinion?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Looks very... vehicle oriented. Still good for density.
That was my first impression as well, a feeling of disappointment that there will be more blacktop fronting Lamar. But then I realized that the view from the west side of the complex is a major selling point, so they're probably trying to squeeze as many cars to the front and side(s) as possible.

What's the restaurant in the front? Is it something that's already there?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post

What's the restaurant in the front? Is it something that's already there?
That's where the Golden Corral will be relocating.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
That's where the Golden Corral will be relocating.
I know you're joking but it already relocated to 35.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 5:22 AM
World Traveler

Perhaps the Taco Cabana from by the Pfluger Bridge?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:45 AM
Meh

Greenview Condominums

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:23 AM
World Traveler

So with these renderings from Kevin, one of the differences that stands out to me from an earlier picture from LoneStarMike (on 3/18) is the lack of a restaurant/coffee shop out front on Lamar. I wonder if that's not happening or if it's from a third party and perhaps later. Anyone know? I'd love to see Lamar have retail most of the way down in front of all of these developments as it'd encourage walking. The surface parking lot doesn't help with that, but you know...can't win 'em all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
So with these renderings from Kevin, one of the differences that stands out to me from an earlier picture from LoneStarMike (on 3/18) is the lack of a restaurant/coffee shop out front on Lamar. I wonder if that's not happening or if it's from a third party and perhaps later. Anyone know? I'd love to see Lamar have retail most of the way down in front of all of these developments as it'd encourage walking. The surface parking lot doesn't help with that, but you know...can't win 'em all.

The developer says they plan to build approx 2000 sqft stand alone restaurant space fronting Lamar, and lease/sell it to a local restaurant group/chef. Only problem will be turning left onto Lamar without a light.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Not bad really other than the surface parking, and in this case it makes sense, I think it will be a nice addition.

Man check out the picture with the skyline and the row of VMU's down Lamar. It really is amazing to see just how much it has changed over the last couple of years.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:11 PM

This was mentioned in the recent article in the Austin American Statesman about 70 Rainey:

Quote:
The condo tower is the first Austin project for Sackman Enterprises, but more are on the way, said C.J. Sackman, the 27-year-old director of development for Sackman Enterprises. The company plans at least six projects in Austin over the next several years, Sackman said.

[SNIP]

The firm also has purchased the site on South Lamar Boulevard where the La Feria Mexican restaurant is located. The restaurant will continue to operate until Sackman Enterprises is ready to move forward with an office project there, C.J. Sackman said.
While it's good to see more development along S. Lamar, I'll miss the La Feria neon sign.

That and the Horseshoe Lounge sign are/were some of the best neon along S. Lamar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin