HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I agree with wwmiv and the reason why I agree with him is because I have black friends that live off Burton Dr. and that is exactly how they felt when the layout was presented. They did feel like they were separated from The Mueller development. I wasn't going to post anything at first but after so many came in against the idea, I had to come in and tell it how it is. Many blacks do feel segragated from Mueller. I heard this right from the very beginning.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:01 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I agree with wwmiv and the reason why I agree with him is because I have black friends that live off Burton Dr. and that is exactly how they felt when the layout was presented. They did feel like they were separated from The Mueller development. I wasn't going to post anything at first but after so many came in against the idea, I had to come in and tell it how it is. Many blacks do feel segragated from Mueller. I heard this right from the very beginning.
Amen.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:21 PM

I'm glad some people are agreeing with my criticism of parks. Austinites tend to have this unconscious inclination toward believing that parks are always a positive thing. But sometimes what they really do is spread a city out (suburbanizing it) and create cultural buffers and barriers. I think we should apply our critical thinking skills to all developments. Parks shouldn't get a free pass just because they're green and leafy.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:39 PM

It looks like some of the Town Center district is going to start soon, since they've started working toward extending and intersecting Robert Browning and Aldrich.

I definitely notice the isolating effect from the greenways when I'm in the area, and I'm hoping that when Zach Scott and Tilley become through streets, and Mueller Blvd and Berkman are fully divided they'll mitigate the feeling of isolation somewhat.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 7:36 PM

Dirt is being turned and stakes are in the ground at the Mueller Town Center.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:13 AM

Streets update: Sorin between Berkman and Tilley, Vaughan and Tilley to Zach Scott, and possibly segments of Zach Scott and Nitschke (I didn't see that far north) will probably be paved within the next two weeks. The eastern side of Berkman from McCurdy to Zach Scott is still a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
Streets update: Sorin between Berkman and Tilley, Vaughan and Tilley to Zach Scott, and possibly segments of Zach Scott and Nitschke (I didn't see that far north) will probably be paved within the next two weeks. The eastern side of Berkman from McCurdy to Zach Scott is still a hole in the ground.
Thanks for the update. Do you happen to know if there are still plans to extend Tilley north all the way to 51st?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:04 PM

I'd assume so, especially with the bikeway on the street, but I'm guessing we won't see anything on that front until the phase between the Mueller Market District and Zach Scott east of Berkman is worked on

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:31 AM

Mueller was featured on NPR Thursday:

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/12/385474...r-urban-utopia

and will be again on Friday. I hope this is ok, given that it isn't a Photo Update.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 4:06 AM

It's unfortunate that they pinpointed on the residents and not the design of the community.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:14 PM

Alright so, Zach Scott is paved and it looks like they've built out a veloway similar to Tilley Street. Personally I'd like them to redo the Western portion of Zach Scott similarly, but I'm not expecting they will.

I'm looking forward to seeing Berkman built out to Zach Scott, and it looks like the segment from Sorin to Zach Scott is ready for paving, but I'm willing to bet that they won't pave it until the segment from Sorin to McCurdy is ready, though they could surprise me.

Anyway, I'll be out of the country from the 12th to the 21st so I'll check it out on the 11th and the 22nd.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:40 PM

This has been rumored for a while, but the Alamo Drafthouse Mueller is finally official.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqibtalib View Post
This has been rumored for a while, but the Alamo Drafthouse Mueller is finally official.

Woooo!!!

Awesome news! I work right by there so is will be just a hop, skip, and a jump for my coworkers and I to go see movies after work now. This is amazing.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:41 PM

It looks like some of the utilities like the manholes south of Sorin on the stretch of Berkman are like a foot or two higher than they should be, but most of the street looks ready for paving. Any idea how they're gonna fix that?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:16 AM

I dunno. I went by there today. Didn't notice that. But I did notice that that stretch of Berkman looks ready for paving. I drove all around there, up to Zach Scott Street. Made me feel giddy. They're going full steam ahead, man. So many homes being built. It's going to be amazing once it's all built and settled and stuff (i.e. when the trees are all full). No idea when that will be. Maybe 2020? But I think people underestimate how significant Mueller is. It's going to be a big place. And very compact.

Any idea what they're doing on Barbara Jordan? They sure are moving a lot of dirt around.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:19 PM

I'll run by and get some photos of what I'm talking about. It looks like old infrastructure that has been installed for years serving the control tower that isn't at the same level as the road.

As for Barbara Jordan I have no idea, what part? East or West of Mueller Blvd?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 12:13 AM

East of Mueller Blvd.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:31 AM

I did notice that today. If I were to hazard a guess, going off the map I'd say it's slated to be commercial.

Sorry about the quality, my camera battery was dead so I had to use my phone, but this is what I'm talking about in terms of the manholes and I guess water access being like a foot above where they should be.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
I did notice that today. If I were to hazard a guess, going off the map I'd say it's slated to be commercial.

Sorry about the quality, my camera battery was dead so I had to use my phone, but this is what I'm talking about in terms of the manholes and I guess water access being like a foot above where they should be.

Those look just like the famous "Round Rock".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 7:13 AM
World Traveler

Speed bumps, perhaps?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin