HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Paggi House is staying according to the Emerging Projects info.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...s_jan_2013.pdf
Update from the Austin Chronicle:

Paggi House Closed; Garrido's Sold
Two popular eateries close for good this weekend
By Virginia B. Wood, 6:00PM, Sat. May. 24

Quote:
The Paggi House, located in an historic plantation home overlooking Downtown, is being swallowed by a condo development on two sides. That construction begins soon. Rather than carry on with no parking lot and without the use of their patio seating option, the owners opted to go out on a high note with a final dinner service on Friday, May 23 and a private party tonight.

In an email today, Paggi House managing partner Jeffrey Blatt told us, "It is with great sadness that Paggi House is closing. The house is almost 200 years old and it has been a pleasure to share so many nice moments of happiness at this grand location. We always treated the location with the respect and dignity it deserved. But progress in development just caught up to this restaurant. It has been special to be involved with this project. I am proud that we have been allowed to close with dignity."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:48 AM

Here's a nice video of the project from Rhodes Partners:

http://vimeo.com/69972988

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 4:11 AM

That was pretty awesome. I'm ready for this one to start. When is that damn Cabana going to be demolished?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
That was pretty awesome. I'm ready for this one to start. When is that damn Cabana going to be demolished?
That one Taco Cabana is the reason I don't eat at any of them anymore. It's disgusting and just plain filthy.

By my count this site has had three, possibly four different developers, and the most recent start date is 2015. So that dump will probably be open for a few more months.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 4:07 PM

I wonder how long it will be until the Taco Bell, Enterprise, and Jack in the Box sites are redeveloped.
Although I have a somewhat troubling addiction to Taco Bell, it seems that the Enterprise would be the one business worth saving. I can see a major advantage for them, and for tourists (and residents who don't own cars, but maybe need one for the day), to be in that central location. I wonder if maybe they could rent out spaces in the parking garage of whatever is eventually built there. But I suppose they would be SOL during construction.

Sorry for the musings, that have nothing to do with the project at hand.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadingpa View Post
I wonder how long it will be until the Taco Bell, Enterprise, and Jack in the Box sites are redeveloped.
Although I have a somewhat troubling addiction to Taco Bell, it seems that the Enterprise would be the one business worth saving. I can see a major advantage for them, and for tourists (and residents who don't own cars, but maybe need one for the day), to be in that central location. I wonder if maybe they could rent out spaces in the parking garage of whatever is eventually built there. But I suppose they would be SOL during construction.

Sorry for the musings, that have nothing to do with the project at hand.
I'm for keeping fast food and convenient restaurants such as the ones you mentioned plus others like McDonalds, Subway..., as an inexpensive and universally recognized place to grab a meal wherever I travel. While we should encourage visitors to try our local fare, I think its good form to not to run out all the national chains, but perhaps incorporate them somehow so visitors can grab that Big Mac when the urge arises. I hit plenty of upscale restaurants in England when I had business there, was nice to have the KFC option when I wanted something cheap I could count on. Last time I was at Disney World at the Yacht Club,
I would have taken down Mickey, Minnie, and the whole bunch for just one fast food option. There were none.
My two cents for keeping named brand fast food dt.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 6:07 PM

I completely agree with keeping low-cost national brands. As someone who isn't making that big tech money (yet, hopefully...) I find myself patronizing these options pretty frequently.
I have always wondered why they don't incorporate these establishments into the new developments. I would bet that it has a lot to do with the higher rents of ground level retail in mixed use buildings. It could also be that the hassle of fitting the specific needs of these restaurants (drive-thru, amount of seating, specific branding) is too much for both parties to deal with. And like I mentioned before, the fact that they would have to shut down for several years, on some occasions, during construction. Most of the new fast food places are built in a very short time period, so I'm sure a major construction time frame is not attractive to the franchisees.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:36 PM

It appears the last rendering of this project was just that - a rendering. If they are not sure what to do with the property they at least better not let the site plan expire. A project like this probably won't get the necessary variances again with the current city council.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...n-home-on.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It appears the last rendering of this project was just that - a rendering. If they are not sure what to do with the property they at least better not let the site plan expire. A project like this probably won't get the necessary variances again with the current city council.

Indeed. Something like this will DEFINITELY not fly with the new council. I really liked the design for this...would be a shame if they can't get their ducks in a row.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post

It's a PUD. PUD's don't expire.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Indeed. Something like this will DEFINITELY not fly with the new council. I really liked the design for this...would be a shame if they can't get their ducks in a row.
I really hope you're wrong about the new council. I presume your view is based on the assumption that representatives of districts are more likely to listen to the whining reasonable objections of neighborhood groups and preservationists. That may be the case, but I don't think it's yet safe to assume that the council won't be friendly to the big picture goals for a more dense and vertical urban core, of which that corner is surely a part. At least from my perspective it is.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I really hope you're wrong about the new council. I presume your view is based on the assumption that representatives of districts are more likely to listen to the whining reasonable objections of neighborhood groups and preservationists. That may be the case, but I don't think it's yet safe to assume that the council won't be friendly to the big picture goals for a more dense and vertical urban core, of which that corner is surely a part. At least from my perspective it is.
I hope I'm wrong too, but even in the previous era people (and some council members) were up in arms because taco cabana held a special place in their hearts

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:02 PM
Meh

Taco Cabana isn't horrible. I mean, if you must eat fast food it's better than most, but yeah, that's a bad use for that lot.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:16 AM

I just stopped at Taco Cabana and they have a sign on the door informing that Today 2/27 will be the last day that they are open for business and to visit their other locations. I asked the kid working the resister what was going on and he said they were going to tear it down and put up condos. Maybe this will happen after all.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I just stopped at Taco Cabana and they have a sign on the door informing that Today 2/27 will be the last day that they are open for business and to visit their other locations. I asked the kid working the resister what was going on and he said they were going to tear it down and put up condos. Maybe this will happen after all.
Awesome update.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:43 AM
Meh

Cool. Did you get any tacos?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:54 AM

Wholly Cow and the S. Lamar TC both closing this weekend. That's progress in my book.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:06 AM

Fuck yeah! One of my favorite projects. Any day a drive-through is torn down to build VMU is a good day.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cool. Did you get any tacos?
They should buy some tacos and put them in a museum (perhaps built into the first floor of the condos?) to save some of the history of what used to be South Lamar...so much history and culture just disappearing before our very eyes...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
They should buy some tacos and put them in a museum (perhaps built into the first floor of the condos?) to save some of the history of what used to be South Lamar...so much history and culture just disappearing before our very eyes...
lol, I do hope that's sarcasm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin