HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
They cut the simple wire mesh, got in and vandalized all the bikes and stole one. The camera outside at the station did not show the shelter in view or a good view of it. I think its changed now to be safer at least at Plaza Saltio where my indecent happened.
I'm not being sarcastic, but how does one vandalize a bike?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:07 PM
Meh

I left my bike on the rack for the afternoon/evening one day when I was in high school, and came back to find that someone had stolen the seat. They left the seat post, but twisted the seat off and took it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I left my bike on the rack for the afternoon/evening one day when I was in high school, and came back to find that someone had stolen the seat. They left the seat post, but twisted the seat off and took it.
I bet that was an awkward and possibly painful ride back home.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I've had that happen too. Damn hoodlums! I expect some security or protection at bike shelters.
Hopefully none of us rode home afterwards.:haha

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 11:57 PM
World Traveler

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/leander-cedar-park/capital-metro-to-expand-lakeline-park-and-ride-facility/

Little victories. They're expanding Lakeline Station (pretty much doubling the parking capacity) and possibly adding rails to increase frequency.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:14 PM

How about this? Opinions?

Zilker Park views to be altered by MoPac project

http://www.sosalliance.org/app-news/...costs-how-much

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

That sound like a good plan to me. There are not a lot of options to increase MOPAC capacity.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:28 AM
World Traveler

I agree. I think Save Our Springs and other groups like this are vital to ensure Austin grows in a healthy way, but that page is simply a one-sided "I don't really like this" argument that lacks any real evidence going against this plan. They are just trying to put the transportation guys in a bad light. I can understand the frustrations, but we all have to admit that something needs to change with Mopac. Sacrifices will have to be made all around or nothing will happen.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 1:08 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It won't really change any views that much.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 AM

I feel like a lot of opposition to highways like 45 SW and MoPac South is, at this point... I really feel like the construction is pretty inevitable, and I'd really like to see groups like SOS work with CAMPO and CTRMA to make these projects have as little negative impact as possible, rather than wholesale, unconditional opposition.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:50 AM

My view of SOS is that they are unrealistic environmental Nazis. Their mission statement, if they have one, probably sounds pretty good. But their actions are not helpful in the long run. They would have much more local support if they would offer up helpful compromises or alternatives rather than hating everything. Traffic has gotten to the point where I think most of the local population doesn't care so much about the environment if it means roads won't get built/expanded.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:51 AM
World Traveler

I agree. Bottom line: something needs to change. Let's take steps forward rather than sit and argue. The majority of folks are more concerned with getting from location A to location B than ensuring the protection of a salamander, for instance. However, I do appreciate consideration of the environment in the process. To use that as an excuse to bring everything to a screeching halt is simply wrong and not helpful to anyone.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:15 PM
Honored Member

This is a depressing page to read. The general consensus of those weighing in seems to be that "we have to do something about traffic, so forget about preserving beauty, who cares about animal habitat, screw the aquifers and Barton Springs, the only thing that matters is jamming more cars onto our highways." It's defeatist, this willingness to sacrifice Austin's natural treasures to developers and automobiles. One reason that some people think SOS is too extremist is that it takes time to seriously study how the aquifer works, to see how development has already done a great deal of harm. If we're willing to just throw in the towel and give up on saving Barton Springs then a lot of money can be made by selling off land and loosening restrictions in the recharge zone, so I'm sure there are many people who would be in favor of doing just that. I am definitely not one of them.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:27 PM

i agree terrible idea

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
The general consensus of those weighing in seems to be that "we have to do something about traffic, so forget about preserving beauty, who cares about animal habitat, screw the aquifers and Barton Springs, the only thing that matters is jamming more cars onto our highways."
Where's your evidence that the proposed additional lanes (and in particular, the elevated section above where there are already lanes) does _anything_ to the aquifers or barton springs?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

SOS claim that "Our toll road agency somehow can't be bothered to post this information on their "Mopac South" website. " is a complete lie.

http://www.mopacsouth.com/voh/docs/A...ds_Feb2015.pdf

page 29

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The problem with any road is it's imperious cover and that of course means any rain water that falls on it will wash away. The water collects along the stretch of road, builds up volume and speed. It also picks up other fluids such as oil along the way.

It's easy to see the effects of what covering large amounts of land does to area creeks. At one time creeks like Shoal, Bouldin, Williamson, Waller, Onion, Slaughter ect... (mostly named creeks south of the river because those are the ones I know best but you can add to the list), had water in them throughout the year except during prolonged droughts. As the city grew around them, water runoff became more intense and damaging stripping the natural riparian plantlife which was important in slowing the water down. today most of these creeks lay dry. Even after recent rains, they are quick to drain out. We know so much more now than we did 50 to 100 years ago and there are ways to repair some of the damage by replanting native riparian species. Other measures include catching fast running water from drains and sewers into rain gardens.

This is going to be a fundamental struggle for a long time. To find the balance between human need and environmental need will take understanding and effort.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:40 PM
Meh

I'm not sure adding lanes to an existing highway would, but if it was proven it would damage the environment and their habitats, I wouldn't be for it. I end up at Barton Springs (on the greenbelt) to go swimming several times each summer/fall. I would really hate it if it became polluted so that you couldn't go swimming there anymore. We have Williamson Creek in our neighborhood, and I've gone exploring it some, and there are parts of it that are nasty. Lots of trash and litter washed into it from the street, and it stinks (and not a natural creek smell either). It's a shame, because my parents grew up in this neighborhood, and they went swimming in it back when it was still clean and flowing.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The problem with any road is it's imperious cover and that of course means any rain water that falls on it will wash away. The water collects along the stretch of road, builds up volume and speed. It also picks up other fluids such as oil along the way.

It's easy to see the effects of what covering large amounts of land does to area creeks. At one time creeks like Shoal, Bouldin, Williamson, Waller, Onion, Slaughter ect... (mostly named creeks south of the river because those are the ones I know best but you can add to the list), had water in them throughout the year except during prolonged droughts. As the city grew around them, water runoff became more intense and damaging stripping the natural riparian plantlife which was important in slowing the water down. today most of these creeks lay dry. Even after recent rains, they are quick to drain out. We know so much more now than we did 50 to 100 years ago and there are ways to repair some of the damage by replanting native riparian species. Other measures include catching fast running water from drains and sewers into rain gardens.

This is going to be a fundamental struggle for a long time. To find the balance between human need and environmental need will take understanding and effort.
That is all true, however, thanks to the Save our Springs ordinance any new project built in the aquifer recharge zone must have no more than 35% impervious cover and is required to have 100% runoff recapture.* For buildings, highways, parking, etc. this means you have to direct the water to what's called a containment pond or detention pond. "Pond" isn't the best descriptor since most of these never actually hold water, they filter it. You see them all over. Skateboarders love them. They are those concrete-walled, sunken areas that are next to parking lots, major highways, apartments and office buildings that usually have grass growing in the bottom. Underneath that grass is a filtration system that includes gravel, sand, mesh and other miscellaney, and the filtered water is then directed to the sewer.

These ponds don't filter the runoff into 100% clean water, of course, but they mitigate the pollutants. In other words, you don't poison the land and water as quickly as you would without runoff recapture. In other parts of town your required runoff recapture is much lower. Sometimes as low as 25%. To get to 100% recapture and 35% impervious cover, you have to have a lot of extra land to set aside as greenbelt just to build your project. It's why you don't see many massive surface parking lots over the recharge zone, except for Barton Creek Mall, which when built was what spurred SOS to be created to fight for the Save our Springs law in the first place.

There is a part of the SOS ordinance that says any project that had a valid development permit in place before the bill passed is 'grandfathered' and can be built under the same conditions as originally approved. That's how many of these projects are getting around the aquifer protections. The land owners and developers just keep renewing their development permits until they get the funds together to build the project, or find a buyer willing to do it.

*And before anyone brings it up...it is not physically possible to have 100% runoff recapture in the real world, but the law has a set of criteria that defines 100% recapture and as long as a developer can prove to the city that they meet the criteria their permit will be approved.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 12:04 AM

I appreciate all the concerns about nature and what have you, but another good reason to be opposed to a huge increase in capacity on Mopac coupled with building the Highway 45 connector road at the south end of Mopac to IH35 is that Mopac will become quite congested with through truck traffic and also with out of town auto traffic hoping to scoot around Austin and avoid IH35. It will become a new traffic nightmare. Through traffic from IH35 needs to be diverted to the toll roads to the east of the city rather than up the Mopac corridor. I might support a single toll lane in each direction like the ones being built on north Mopac. Four new toll lanes plus the Highway 45 connector is asking for trouble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin