HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM

I see, they got the sky bridge at the wrong location. Where the green line is, where the current Whole Foods and the future Shoal Creek Walk will be.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It's connecting Shoal Creek Walk to Bowie, not the actually grocery store. At least that's how I understand it. Whole Foods will have offices in both buildings, I believe.
No, the bridge is spanning Bowie Street. It's connecting The Whole Foods grocery/headquarters building on the west side of Bowie Street to the Shoal Creek Walk development on the east side of Bowie Street.

If it were connecting The Bowie to Shoal Creek Walk, the bridge would be spanning 5th Street.

If you look at the documents filed with the city on page 10, it's referred to as the Whole Foods/Shoal Creek Walk Bridge Encroachment Agreement

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Got it. I should have looked at the map more closely. Too many Bowies bouncing around inside my head.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:38 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
It's connecting Shoal Creek Walk to Bowie, not the actually grocery store. At least that's how I understand it. Whole Foods will have offices in both buildings, I believe.
Whole Foods backed out of the Shoal Creek Walk development, that's why they have offices in the Bowie.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 5:45 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Does anybody know why the lights on the Bowie have been turned off for the past 2 nights? I would think they would want them on during SXSW. Even buildings that are rarely lit anymore are lit now including the crown glow on the Austonian.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Transformer explosion reported at downtown high-rise
AUSTIN -- Fire crews are investigating after an electrical transformer reportedly exploded on the 34th floor of a high-rise building downtown, according to the Austin Fire Department.
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...rise/70377580/

AFD lists it as a structure fire on twitter Anyone know how serious this is?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:25 PM
Meh

Well it says they got the fire out. We have a utility pole in our backyard, and years ago the transformer on the pole blew up. There was no fire, but there was a loud boom, and there were pieces of equipment thrown into our yard.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:05 PM

Bowie structure lights were on this morning at dawn.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 11:23 PM

Cool

Posted some photos of the Bowie on my Instagram page. One is a view from the corner apartment, while the other shows the incredible rooftop pool. This building turned out really well, and the last few floors and the dog park/game room lounge area is still under construction. I visited a 1, 2, and 3-bedroom today, and the finishes are very nice. I'd expect residents from the Monarch, just across the way, to give this one a look. It will be interesting to see how new buildings like the Bowie and Northshore eventually price down what used to be Austin's hottest locations. Here's the link to the photos. Haven't figured out how to post them here directly, so hope this works: https://instagram.com/p/0yL-jPHn1N/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 11:33 PM
Meh

To post the photos on the forum you have to use the BBcode. You need to copy the URL image links of each photo and paste them into your post on the forum. Then wrap each image link with this: [img] [/img ]

Just bring in that last bracket so it's flush up against the g. That will make it an active image link and the image will show up on the forum.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
To post the photos on the forum you have to use the BBcode. You need to copy the URL image links of each photo and paste them into your post on the forum. Then wrap each image link with this: [img] [/img ]

Just bring in that last bracket so it's flush up against the g. That will make it an active image link and the image will show up on the forum.
Thanks! Good to know

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Posted some photos of the Bowie on my Instagram page. One is a view from the corner apartment, while the other shows the incredible rooftop pool. This building turned out really well, and the last few floors and the dog park/game room lounge area is still under construction. I visited a 1, 2, and 3-bedroom today, and the finishes are very nice. I'd expect residents from the Monarch, just across the way, to give this one a look. It will be interesting to see how new buildings like the Bowie and Northshore eventually price down what used to be Austin's hottest locations. Here's the link to the photos. Haven't figured out how to post them here directly, so hope this works: https://instagram.com/p/0yL-jPHn1N/
You've got some excellent photos there, and not just of the Bowie. Did you move into the Bowie? That place has some excellent views.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You've got some excellent photos there, and not just of the Bowie. Did you move into the Bowie? That place has some excellent views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Thank you! And I actually go to UT, but my mom was looking at places there today. I lived in the Monarch during high school, so I've been in the heart of construction for awhile. I'm actually looking into living in a studio apartment at the Bowie, as the monthly costs aren't way off from what I'd be looking at in West Campus. It has incredible views! If I end up living there I'll be able to document construction of The Independent because there's a great Birdseye view from the exercise room. Also a note about the Bowie: Whole Foods signed a 12-year lease for two floors of office space, and there are actually two separate ground floor lobbies, one for business and the other residential.

When you think about downtown construction, a lot of the new projects are or are going to be off of 5th Street (IBC Bank, the Bowie, Westin, 5th and West, 5th and Brazos, 5th and Colorado, post office project?) When I was walking around that area today, I noticed that the Gattis Pizza is all boarded up and there is a fence around the lot. Any rumors about that site?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
If I end up living there I'll be able to document construction of The Independent because there's a great Birdseye view from the exercise room.
You might be able to crowdsource half your rent from members of this forum.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
When I was walking around that area today, I noticed that the Gattis Pizza is all boarded up and there is a fence around the lot. Any rumors about that site?
I remember seeing something about it closing and wasn't it mentioned on here a few months back? I don't know what is supposed to happen there but hopefully something cool will rise there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I remember seeing something about it closing and wasn't it mentioned on here a few months back? I don't know what is supposed to happen there but hopefully something cool will rise there.
It has been closed for quite a while. The fence went up sometime between April and June 2014 as seen on Google Streetview drive bys. It even looked closed in the April view before the fence went up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Maybe it will be another Mattress Firm.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's supposed to be a cocktail lounge by the people that own www.vinovinotx.com. There are permits for remodeling, including removing stucco.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 AM

Quote:
It's supposed to be a cocktail lounge by the people that own www.vinovinotx.com. There are permits for remodeling, including removing stucco.
That's cool. I would like to see W. 6th St. develop into a walkable grownup version of 6th St. a la the Warehouse District (with a wall of skyscrapers immediately behind the night clubs on both sides of the street.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 9:33 PM

4-12-2015

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin