HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 AM
Meh

Maybe we can have threads based on zip codes? Someone already started one for my zip code actually. Either that or we could have threads for each of the city's planning areas that the city has outlined. Or we could do it by council member districts. That would be good actually, because each thread could then watch the actions of their respective council members and focus on the issues of each district.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 10:07 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Maybe we can have threads based on zip codes? Someone already started one for my zip code actually. Either that or we could have threads for each of the city's planning areas that the city has outlined. Or we could do it by council member districts. That would be good actually, because each thread could then watch the actions of their respective council members and focus on the issues of each district.
I prefer the planning districts and/or corridors with a separate thread for politics.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:07 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I prefer the planning districts and/or corridors with a separate thread for politics.
Zip Codes are more permanent than planning districts or political boundaries, which seem to change every 10 years or so after every census. You can find a map of zip codes easily, which isn't as easy to find for planning or council districts; actually they are really hard to find.

Never-the-less, people from around the world visit this web site, and potentially this forum, do you really want them searching for zip codes, council, or planning districts? Street names I can find, neighborhood names are difficult, and districts are nearly impossible.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:19 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Zip Codes are more permanent than planning districts or political boundaries, which seem to change every 10 years or so after every census. You can find a map of zip codes easily, which isn't as easy to find for planning or council districts; actually they are really hard to find.

Never-the-less, people from around the world visit this web site, and potentially this forum, do you really want them searching for zip codes, council, or planning districts? Street names I can find, neighborhood names are difficult, and districts are nearly impossible.
Corridors are definitely my preferred, fwiw, because they are even more permanent than zip codes (which do change, just not that often).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:01 AM

Here are some permit filings for the addition of a "tower" to an existing hotel in far north Austin. This is a Comfort Inn located on FM 1825 near I-35. I suspect the word "tower" is being used rather loosely.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11289040

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:45 PM
Honored Member

Hill Country, how dare you interrupt my all-time favorite discussion ever on Skyscraperpage with your on-topic post! But you're right, and funny, when you suggest that "tower" is being used loosely. I expect something on the order of 6 to 8 stories. Comfort Inn gonna rock this party!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Hill Country, how dare you interrupt my all-time favorite discussion ever on Skyscraperpage with your on-topic post! But you're right, and funny, when you suggest that "tower" is being used loosely. I expect something on the order of 6 to 8 stories. Comfort Inn gonna rock this party!
The Comfort Inn is in 78660.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:30 PM
Meh

Georgetown's new 7-story hotel has broken ground. News broke on this almost exactly a year ago.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...four-star.html
Quote:
Mega-development underway in Georgetown; Four-star hotel on tap
Feb 19, 2015, 2:49pm CST

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Construction is underway on one of Georgetown's first luxury mixed-use developments, which will include a seven-story four star Sheraton hotel and conference center.

The Summit at Rivery Park project has been in the works for some time, and finally the tax increment financing and development team has moved it first shovel of dirt on a 32-acre site west of I-35 and north of Texas Highway 29.

The 222-room hotel, which will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center, is scheduled to deliver in summer 2016.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Skybridge Lofts - Interesting project that's been going in on N Bluff Road (south of Metropolitan theater). Lots of information and more photos on their site.

http://www.skybridgelofts.com/

Amenities Map: http://www.skybridgelofts.com/images/amenitymap.pdf

All photos are from their site.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:29 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Skybridge Lofts - Interesting project that's been going in on N Bluff Road (south of Metropolitan theater).
Interesting indeed. Their outdoor amenities appear to be fairly top notch for non-sporting purposes, but tennis courts rarely get used anyway so why add more pavement. The jogging trail will probably see a LOT more use as a dog-walking trail. When I first saw the building design I wasn't too keen on it because of the low, flat lines, which I don't care for. But the offsetting and layering makes it interesting. I don't understand why they kept most of it so low-profile, though. They could have preserved more open space and offered better views by going up with the same number of units, or they could have increased density by occupying the same amount of land but building higher. That would make it a lot more visually appealing, IMNSHO.

I question the wisdom of the suspended condos with cars passing underneath. The more exposed you are to outside noise, the more outside noise you'll hear. Hopefully they'll have fairly extreme sound-proofing and insulation at least under those suspended units.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I question the wisdom of the suspended condos with cars passing underneath. The more exposed you are to outside noise, the more outside noise you'll hear. Hopefully they'll have fairly extreme sound-proofing and insulation at least under those suspended units.
This is what I was wondering about as well. I like the look of it, but it better have some really good sound and thermal insulation.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:08 PM
Honored Member

Well, it's a good thing that it's condos so they can have strict rules about noise. Imagine being awakened by the rumble of sub-woofers UNDER YOUR BED at 3 AM!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Well, it's a good thing that it's condos so they can have strict rules about noise. Imagine being awakened by the rumble of sub-woofers UNDER YOUR BED at 3 AM!
That would be awesome!!!!!

Lol I'm kidding.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 11:36 PM
World Traveler

While this is a really interesting concept, architecturally, I wonder what it will look like in ten-twenty years. The rendering, with the wood siding, already looks like the nasty, cheap apartments I lived in during college that were built in the 60s or 70s. At least they upgraded mine to blue carpet at one point.

I'm just curious on how these will age. I always prefer brick or something that, when it ages, looks more mature over time - as opposed to rotting out or needing more paint, etc.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:09 AM

Well, they are going to be condos, so probably owners and the condo board will try to maintain certain standards for the community that a landlord might tend to overlook over time.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
While this is a really interesting concept, architecturally, I wonder what it will look like in ten-twenty years. The rendering, with the wood siding, already looks like the nasty, cheap apartments I lived in during college that were built in the 60s or 70s.
Brick can look pretty nice over time. By the way, this is most likely not true wood and instead a fiber cement type of siding, like this: http://www.jameshardie.com/Products/...ank-Lap-Siding It's much more durable and a bit more expensive than solid wood siding.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 11:12 PM
World Traveler

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I just don't like the endless miles of apartment buildings that don't really last more than a decade aesthetically, as is common in many suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

This is nothing exciting, but I was over at Buffalo Wild Wings on I35 in front of Metropolitan theater last week, and saw something being framed up. I figured it was more restaurants, but it's actually a 4-story Staybridge Suites hotel.

Here's one of the permits I found: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/devrevie...erRSN=11262526

That one doesn't mention Staybridge, but others do if you search for 901 Little Texas.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:29 AM

picture by me,

On 45 west between I35 and Mopac, just south of La Frontera, there is now a pretty cool cluster of buildings that line both sides of the tollway. The two large Emerson buildings are now flanked by a hotel and office building, and on the other side of the tollway, this medical complex. Hillcountry snapped a pic of it when the crane was looming over 45 a while back. The diagonal lines are lit up at night.

Last edited by the Genral; Apr 21, 2015 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:58 AM

The office building on the other side of Emerson is South University. Interesting as South U had interest in the Emerson buildings early on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin