HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well since the one looks like its preventing the other from falling I hereby call this new building Fainting Partner.
Or "Partner can you spare a shove"...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 7:18 PM

Hopefully, they won't lower that sky-walk by ten stories so we end up with other types of partners...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 7:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
This will look great on the skyline.

This looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
I like it. its different and IMHO better then the previous design. Perhaps 1 or 2 more towers can rise on the site? Great news Manhattan give BKLYN an run for its money.
Perhaps they will be able to develop the rest of the sites...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/08/...-side-parcels/

JDS angling to buy Solow’s remaining East Side parcels

August 2, 2013

Quote:
Michael Stern’s JDS Development is in talks to buy Sheldon Solow’s remaining two parcels of land on the East Side of Manhattan, having earlier purchased one of the parcels for $172.5 million, the New York Times reported.

In 2000, Solow paid Consolidated Edison about $600 million for the three land parcels overlooking the East River, on First Avenue between 35th and 36th streets. JDS intends to build a 49-story tower and a 40-story tower on the recently-purchased site, which can be built “as of right,” because they are the same size in Solow’s initial plan, according to the Times.

The developer broke ground last month at the project, which is set to include 800 rental units. Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group is handling the leasing.

“This is a large-scale site, one of the largest residential developments to hit Midtown East in a very long time,” Stern said, “so it is important not to miss the mark and to push the envelope.”

The plans for the project call for 20 percent of the apartments to be affordable, and also include a public elementary school, Stern told the Times. The two copper-colored buildings will boast amenities such as a boxing gym and a squash court, and will bend and connect to each other via a sky bridge.

The school is already built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:47 PM

The skybridge is a nice idea but the two towers it's attached to are too plain to the point of being unattractive.

I've always envisioned something like the Petronas towers would have made the east side skyline looked amazing.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 10:00 PM

If you're gonna insist on having the south tower kink northward, then do the opposite...or something close enough to it...for the other. IOW, the kinks should maybe meet together to create an X-shaped thing. And do something more with the rooftop elements. They just sit there and stare at you.
Aside from the cladding, skybridge and cool pool, I still see rather uninspired, if not outright lazy architecture.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 3:35 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well since the one looks like its preventing the other from falling I hereby call this new building Fainting Partner.
fainting partner towers - i love it!

i wonder what 20% affordable housing means within high end rentals bldgs like these? i guess those will be for mere millionaires.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/67612

SHoP Architects’ Dancing Towers Break Ground on First Avenue in New York

August 2, 2013
Nicole Anderson

Quote:
After a decade-long wait, construction commenced in late July on a pair of conjoined rental towers designed by SHoP Architects on an empty parcel on First Avenue between 35th and 36th Streets. The New York Times reported that the two copper buildings, consisting of 800 units and reaching up to 49 and 40 stories, will be connected by a sky bridge. The luxury development will boast high-end amenities and facilities such as indoor lap pool, rooftop deck with infinity pool, fitness center, squash court, and film screening room.

These dancing towers will be a visual departure for this area around Turtle Bay, which is home to a cluster of hospitals and medical centers and bereft of much new contemporary architecture. Vishaan Chakrabarti, a partner at SHoP Architects, told the Times that the copper veiled facades were inspired from Richard Serra’s twisted sheet metal sculptures. Also in the works is a privately-operated park and an elementary school if City Planning gives the developer JDS Development the green light.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 12:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

Hell yeah, this is really getting built. Those twin towers sure look good.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 3:24 PM

I see that the blowup at post #47 shows the taller one bent as well.
What the hell....I guess it's better than one that it and one that's not.
The closeup of the copper facade is helpful as well; but the placement of the sky bridge will have to take some getting used to IMO.
I do hope that the real thing impresses more. I'm willing to give it a try.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 8:51 PM
New Yorker for life

http://instagram.com/p/cg8zBPDEkF/

Quote:
Our newest addition to the NYC skyline! We are proud to be working with JDS and such a great team! #shoparchitects

http://www.shoparc.com/content/our-n...uch-great-team

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 9:35 PM

Funny (in an odd way of course); but the daytime render shows the taller tower at somewhat more of a bend than the evening one. Is it that in the latter shot, I'm looking straight on and the angles are more pronounced from a catty-corner perspective in the other?
PS I'm lining up the taller tower with the edge of my screen and the evening one hardy shows that bend. Maybe an earlier mash-up?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 9:45 PM
testify

a beautiful tower on the skyline, but definitely could use a podium with some sort of street level activity, that part of first ave needs more commercial activity and liveliness.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
a beautiful tower on the skyline, but definitely could use a podium with some sort of street level activity, that part of first ave needs more commercial activity and liveliness.
There's a new school on the other side. There will probably be a little local retail on the site, but the waterfront side needs no commercial presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Is it that in the latter shot, I'm looking straight on and the angles are more pronounced from a catty-corner perspective in the other?
You've answered it.

Last permist...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
FILING FOR SUPPORT EXCAVATION, IN CONJUNCTION WITH NEW BUILDING #121331059 AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS FILED HEREWITH

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
FILING TO DRIVE TEST PILES IN CONJUNCTION WITH NB 121331059

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 4:27 PM

Thx NYGuy for the answer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 5:31 PM

I am the only person that doesn't like them. The angles they are bending at makes them too weird..........

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 6:15 PM

At least, though, the bends aren't too extreme and they mirror each other. The slight variance at which the latter seems to be happening is nice.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 6:15 PM
Come As You Are

Looks like twin towers ready to collapse at any second. Who thought this would be a good idea for NYC?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 4:57 PM

I remember when this development was supposed to have a couple of 250 meter towers. This is def better than nothing though.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:21 PM

looks like something you'd find in Seoul. No complaints from here though, the East side seems to be becoming a home to newer architecture
like this for example

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
I remember when this development was supposed to have a couple of 250 meter towers. This is def better than nothing though.
This is only a portion of the site, shown on the left in these old plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the East side seems to be becoming a home to newer architecture
like this for example

[http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...7th_nyc_02.jpg
That design itself has been changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive