HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 11:29 PM

Microbrewery and Thirty-Two Apartments Planned for Callowhill Street
Quote:
We were in the market for some cases of beer today, and found ourselves at Franklin Beverage on the 1800 block of Callowhill Street (they take American Express, by the way). Before we made our way inside, we noticed a faded zoning notice next door at 1823 Callowhill St., the former home of the Children's Crisis Treatment Center.

According to the zoning notice, developers have plans to demolish this building and replace it with a five-story structure with ground-floor commercial and thirty-two apartments above. The project will also include ten parking spots.

Putting aside our amazement that this thing somehow didn't appear on our radar until now, we decided to do some digging to get some more information. According to public record, the City owns the property. But clearly a developer has purchased the property from the City. And wouldn't you know it, at a PAID meeting about a year and a half ago, the City agreed that it would sell the property to Orens Brothers. At that meeting, the developers indicated that they had an LOI from Callowhill Craft Brewing for a microbrewery and possible restaurant, which would be a cool addition to the neighborhood. They met with LSNA at the beginning of the year, ultimately getting community support and ZBA approval in February.

Once this project gets underway, it will mark another large project for this immediate area. The Granary sprung up a couple years ago just to the west. To the north, Museum Towers II is under construction. Sadly, the large vacant lot immediately to the east continues to sit undeveloped.
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...lowhill-street

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
There is a thread for this here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216750

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Microbrewery and Thirty-Two Apartments Planned for Callowhill Street

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...lowhill-street
A comment following the article suggests that the project may be dead.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
That's not quite the case. The commenter doesn't appear to have any inside info but rather is just making an assumption based on the lack of info / activity. Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

Orens Bros has a pretty strong track record.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think this is dead either. The person who commented seems to have no insider information or knowledge. The notice was only posted a few months ago. It came sometimes take a while to get financing, get an architect/renderings, general contractor, etc.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think this is dead either. The person who commented seems to have no insider information or knowledge. The notice was only posted a few months ago. It came sometimes take a while to get financing, get an architect/renderings, general contractor, etc.
I think the point was that nothing has happened since February. It seems stalled at the least. The building is empty and has been for a while after the nonprofit moved to delaware Ave offices. Orens Bros has definitely been off the radar for some time now, not sure why. They did some high profile stuff in CC before the recession but aside from rehabbing the vacant apt complex in west philly Ive not heard much from them lately- and they typically haven't done new construction, only rehabs.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:45 PM
BANNED

Looks like toll bros is in trouble on this one.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...hill-playhouse

This is why they need to build a normal high rise in Philly and stop with these 4 story small projects in rowhome neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:40 AM

Construction Begins for Ortlieb Square Residential Project

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...evelopment.php

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post

This is why they need to build a normal high rise in Philly and stop with these 4 story small projects in rowhome neighborhoods.
This article should be titled:

"Residents of the ugliest homes in Society Hill fight to preserve surface parking lot"

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 2:22 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

More Atlantic City news, but Stockton University's growing incredibly quickly. Quickly enough that they need to take over motels to house students:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/c...2c94b580c.html

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This article should be titled:

"Residents of the ugliest homes in Society Hill fight to preserve surface parking lot"
Haha that's what I was thinking too.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:59 PM

Plan at 401 Race Seemingly Moving Forward

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...moving-forward

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Plan at 401 Race Seemingly Moving Forward

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...moving-forward
"Hooray," but "GAAAAARGH!" Sums it up nicely. I'm glad it's being built, I don't think it's awful, but it is incredibly uninspired for such a prominent site.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
"Hooray," but "GAAAAARGH!" Sums it up nicely. I'm glad it's being built, I don't think it's awful, but it is incredibly uninspired for such a prominent site.
Correct. If this was being built north of Vine Street or in Northern Liberties or on Washington Ave or something, I would be all for it. But in this location, and with the 13 story hotel that was once proposed here, I'm a little hesitant about it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Correct. If this was being built north of Vine Street or in Northern Liberties or on Washington Ave or something, I would be all for it. But in this location, and with the 13 story hotel that was once proposed here, I'm a little hesitant about it.
The hotel proposal was great. The view of the bridge and Independence Mall would have been amazing, especially if they would have built some sort of a rooftop bar or restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:59 PM
BANNED

I think that hotel proposal was a recession victim. It can join the long list of nice proposals that died in recession. It wasnt coming back either way.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post

Find me a neighborhood group that does NOT think they live in a "rowhome neighborhood."

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:42 PM

Why is Toll even bothering to develop 17 units? seems tiny for them

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:59 PM

It has more density than the rowhomes at front and walnut being built. Also it's farther from a subway stop and right up against a highway in a more socially dead area. Imo for old city standards it's on par. Why should we expect towers here when we can't even manage to put them on market in this area. I would say it's a causality of old city height / density preservation bs.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:38 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It has more density than the rowhomes at front and walnut being built. Also it's farther from a subway stop and right up against a highway in a more socially dead area. Imo for old city standards it's on par. Why should we expect towers here when we can't even manage to put them on market in this area. I would say it's a causality of old city height / density preservation bs.
Too bad those OCCA BANANAs didn't get deep-sixed sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Why is Toll even bothering to develop 17 units? seems tiny for them
Actually, that's...a really good question. There are enough vacant lots, and sizable ones too, for them to find places to do 50+ unit developments. And they're rumored to have interest in Festival Pier and at Broad & Washington, too, to boot. For instance, that Patriot lot at 23rd & Arch in Logan Square? That would the perfect Toll Brothers play.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development