HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 12:38 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiND View Post
That’s the article I referred to. Hopefully, it will have the city’s tallest roof. That seems likely.
Why?

Quote:
Also is it possible 175 Park going back to something approaching it's original height?
They would have to resubmit the application, not sure how complicated of a process that is but I think it's fine at its current height especially if this one will be taller.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Why?

They would have to resubmit the application, not sure how complicated of a process that is but I think it's fine at its current height especially if this one will be taller.
Because the City’s tallest roof currently is 1,550’, and this will be around 1,600’.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 4:05 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Because the City’s tallest roof currently is 1,550’, and this will be around 1,600’.
Ah sorry, misread. Exciting stuff.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Ah sorry, misread. Exciting stuff.
I agree.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 1:33 PM
Sydney

A couple of views of this design on the skyline (at the 1450' height shown in the renderings):

Last edited by Xing Lin; May 2, 2024 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Nice! Keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
I wonder when the other side of the street is going to get something big...425 Park should have been so much taller. Shame.

Also is it possible 175 Park going back to something approaching it's original height?

Exactly what are you replacing on the other side? 425 Park Avenue has a small footprint, and was built under the old zoning, which is why they kept the lower structure.

As far as 175 approaching it’s taller height, that would be a minor approval, since the studies were all done for the greater height. But the lower tower has the same sq footage and number of floors as the higher height. I’m not sure why they would push it higher now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 3:08 PM

^ Yeah there's no real practical reason but man screw that. Let me see some human hubris and pride and get that original height back.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:37 PM
Ω

It's so cool to see Midtown NY break that ~700 foot ceiling it had for decades (apart from ESB of course). And so quickly.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
^ Yeah there's no real practical reason but man screw that. Let me see some human hubris and pride and get that original height back.
We could use some of that. I don’t doubt there’s a developer somewhere in the city dreaming up plans to do something like that. But building in New York is such a practical nature, especially considering the costs and time it would take to make it happen. It’s a lot easier to plan for something like that in the middle of nowhere, where there are lots of empty lots to develop, and people actually welcome development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It's so cool to see Midtown NY break that ~700 foot ceiling it had for decades (apart from ESB of course). And so quickly.
Yes, and as I recall just a few years ago when 53W53 was proposed that it was chopped down from 1250 to 1050 ft because the main approval committee persons said the top was unfinished and it should not share the space with the ESB, and other committee and council persons saying it was mid-block. It is a nice addition to the skyline but is now mostly obscured by the taller buildings. It would have been a wonderful skyline enhancer if it was built at 1250 feet.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:11 PM

Hopefully, this statement is accurate!

https://www.globalconstructionreview...-tallest-tower

“… New York City Mayor Eric Adams has unveiled Foster + Partners’ design for a 487m-tall office tower in Manhattan, set to be the second tallest in the city after One World Trade Centre.”

New York mayor unveils city’s second tallest tower
David Rogers

Last edited by ChiND; Apr 29, 2024 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Nice! Keep it going.

Exactly what are you replacing on the other side? 425 Park Avenue has a small footprint, and was built under the old zoning, which is why they kept the lower structure.

I was just asking whether any potential future plots on the other side of the street, whilst at the same time bemoaning an extremely elegant building such as 425 Park wasn't so much taller.

Also agree with the comments about 53W53. Devastating.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Yes, and as I recall just a few years ago when 53W53 was proposed that it was chopped down from 1250 to 1050 ft because the main approval committee persons said the top was unfinished and it should not share the space with the ESB, and other committee and council persons saying it was mid-block. It is a nice addition to the skyline but is now mostly obscured by the taller buildings. It would have been a wonderful skyline enhancer if it was built at 1250 feet.
That was from the lovely Amanda Burden. The tower, as-of-right would have been 1,083 ft. But with the design that required a number of special permits (not a boxy building with setbacks), it needed approval. But you know that it was silly to knock the design, because city planning took the unusual step of “locking in” the design as it was. Minus 200 ft of course. But none ofvthat applies here, or anywhere else in the city for that matter. There are no height limits, andceven if there were, no doubt the mayor would push it beyond.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I was just asking whether any potential future plots on the other side of the street, whilst at the same time bemoaning an extremely elegant building such as 425 Park wasn't so much taller.
The opposite side of Park is either a case of landmarked building, or supersized building that won’t be demolished. 425 Park is really considered to be in the “boutique” office portion of the Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
The opposite side of Park is either a case of landmarked building, or supersized building that won’t be demolished. 425 Park is really considered to be in the “boutique” office portion of the Avenue.
Ah thats a shame.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
425 Park is around 900 ft. Not exactly short. And it precedes the rezoning.

There's a major, full-block development site on the east side of Park between 55th and 56th. That's the most likely next major tower on the east side of the avenue. I believe the site is already demolished and cleared. The developer is some Norwegian firm, I think?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

There's a major, full-block development site on the east side of Park between 55th and 56th. That's the most likely next major tower on the east side of the avenue. I believe the site is already demolished and cleared. The developer is some Norwegian firm, I think?
I don’t think that the site at 55th and Park will be very tall. I don’t think that the site has much square footage. I’d be surprised if it’s 850’. I’d rather see a hotel/condo there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Quote:
I don’t think that the site at 55th and Park will be very tall. I don’t think that the site has much square footage. I’d be surprised if it’s 850’. I’d rather see a hotel/condo there.

That's not really a full block site. It just has frontage, same as 425 Park. To really build large, and take advantage of the Midtown East rezoning, you need a larger footprint.

Meanwhile, you can get an idea from this view how a 1,600 ft 350 Park will loom over the area...

https://youtu.be/8FvjGpIKjCo?si=XS9t1XbeZl8rCE5f

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 1:23 AM

Quote:
That's not really a full block site. It just has frontage, same as 425 Park. To really build large, and take advantage of the Midtown East rezoning, you need a larger footprint.
I agree. This site seems to be similar in size to BP’s site at the old MTA HQ on
Madison. Then again, a roughly 1,000’ tower was initially proposed there.

Last edited by ChiND; Apr 30, 2024 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 7:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I agree. This site seems to be similar in size to BP’s site at the old MTA HQ on
Madison. Then again, a roughly 1,000’ tower was initially proposed there.

This tower will have a footprint (53,000 sf) more than double the 25,000 sf footprint of 343 Madison or 250 Park. Vanderbilt and Roosevelt have footprints of about 43,000 sf. 270 Park, with the entire block, has a footprint of 80,000 sf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals