ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i hate when i run outa bricks i knew i shoulda orderd more when i did

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:06 AM
MPLSXCHI

Help rj001's models get to london!

Quote:
Most recently, my exposure has helped me receive an invitation to display my models in London this December. The event, known as BRICK 2015, will be held at ExCel in London from December 9th through 13th. While the event committee is providing for my lodging and airfare, I am currently working with my university, Illinois Institute of Technology, to seek fundraising for the cost of shipping the models to the show and back. The total estimated amount is about $5,500. I am, therefore, reaching out in hopes that others may be able to help sponsor me for this expense. In total, I will be bringing my entire collection of 43 models as the UK crowd has never experienced a display quite like mine. No amount is too small, as every bit helps. Maybe think of it as if you're agreeing to help send one model at a time with donations of $130 (about 1/43 of the total cost).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on/description

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 6:04 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Thanks for sharing that! Just now noticed. I will, of course, have a couple new LONDON models to reveal around that time. To hold you over, here's my latest, debuting at BrickUniverse Dallas this weekend!

JP Morgan Chase Tower, Dallas

Click the picture to see more!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:46 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I'm a little late to the Lego party, also a brand-spanking new member so this is my first post. I made this a little over a year ago and while it's not as large a scale as most of the MOC's in the thread, this seemed like the best place to post it. This is Philadelphia built out of 20k+ LEGO pieces, also called Legodelphia.

I started with the block where Liberty One and Two are located and worked my way out, essentially stopping when I got to the river on each side and when I was far enough north and south that the buildings no longer warranted being built at this scale (residential areas, etc). I did however want to include other landmarks not within the area of the main model so I built four satellite models to represent the three stadiums and the art museum.

I went with all white/clear for the buildings so the form would speak for itself (also, colors would just kinda muddy up the look at this scale) and black for the base for contrast to the model itself. It's not to perfect scale but it's close enough for a Lego micro build.

Every block is removable and the main model base splits into four sections. The black display base splits into two sections, and the whole thing can be transported in cases I build to hold them all securely.

Here are some more shots of various details around the model.

City Hall, looking up Broad Street.

Rittenhouse Square.

The Amtrak and regional rail line, looking east.

Downtown aerial view, Comcast Building, Liberty place, Centre Square, Penn Center, BNY Mellon, Logan Square, etc.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 10:17 PM

Holy Crap! That's cool.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 2:13 AM
I am a typical

Very nice.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 4:26 PM

Stunning Doc!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 3:07 AM

When some towers being built around Philly are done are you going to build them into there spots? I would be right on top of that.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:56 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labridniv View Post
When some towers being built around Philly are done are you going to build them into there spots? I would be right on top of that.
That was definitely the original plan and it's something I'd love to be doing as promptly as possible - unfortunately having that many Lego pieces readily available is not something my current living situation and schedule permits. But generally yes, I will be adding the new Comcast ITC, 1900 Arch, 1919 Market, etc. to their respective blocks as they are completed - any new construction that's an actual new structure will be added in the future.

Someone suggested building new buildings in a different color to show the progress of how the city changes over time but since that's not the purpose of the model, as cool as the idea is, I'll stick with white. Plus I have a good amount of white/clear left over from the build in storage somewhere so it just makes more sense to continue building in the same, uniform color(s).

Although it seems that a lot of the other new construction is west of the Schuylkill river, which is where my model ends, so those University City area buildings won't be included as they're off the map, so to speak.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:55 AM
Meh

That's great. I like the way the single color helps to emphasize the density.

I have a similar scaled model of my city, and I'm actually wanting to scale it up a bit since I've run into some constraints here and there. I'm also wanting to come up with a better base plan. Something module like what you've done looks doable. Right now I'm using 15x15 base plates, and that just doesn't work very well.

Do you have anymore photos that show how each base plate locks into/onto their base?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:02 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's great. I like the way the single color helps to emphasize the density.

I have a similar scaled model of my city, and I'm actually wanting to scale it up a bit since I've run into some constraints here and there. I'm also wanting to come up with a better base plan. Something module like what you've done looks doable. Right now I'm using 15x15 base plates, and that just doesn't work very well.

Do you have anymore photos that show how each base plate locks into/onto their base?
Nothing showing the exact mechanism, but it's pretty straight forward. Each block is one plate layer, one tile layer, then the actual structures on top of that, so the base sections have 2-unit height recessions with tiles beneath so the blocks stay put at the proper height but don't lock into place. Where the base sections are split, there's are opening along all of one side to the square recessions as the roads are all a single unit wide, with the exception of Broad St running up the middle which is two.

Here's the second of four sections, this one is where the majority of the downtown area sits including Liberty Place, Centre Square, Penn Center, Logan Square, etc.

And here it is again with most of the blocks for that section completed and in their proper locations.

After I took those pictures, I removed 2 of the four plates from each recess since it was kind of a waste to use that many for each, only needed two to hold the blocks up.

Here's another image of the first three sections done and the last one mid-build. At this point, the tiles that the blocks rest upon are level with the plates between block areas where the roads are built up two more units.

You can see the difference between that fourth section and the second one in the first image I posted by all the extra features that are build into the base itself. On the other end, I built a few blocks directly into the base because of the angle of the shape along the river.

And here's the digital model of the entire base (I built it in color first to help locate blocks from this 'distance' haha).

Then here's the digital model of the black display base.

This is where I was glad that I saved those extra tiles from the four base section recesses - those 2x2's weren't sufficient to hold the full sections up and they were getting stuck on the begs, so I added a ton more for them to sit on top of, mainly along the edges and in the middle so they could slide back and forth during assembly.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:28 AM

London Model #1

The Shard

Click the image to read more about this fantastic skyscraper and the design process for my model!

This model will debut next weekend in LONDON at BRICK 2015. Tickets for the event can be found here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:52 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
The Shard
Nice! It looks like it was a very challenging model to construct with the various slight angles in the design.

1ajs:
Why did you fill in some of your window openings with those bricks with the sideways studs? Are they going to be boarded up windows?

Doctor Octoroc:
Your Philly skyline model is quite impressive. I like how its monochromatic nature allows the observer to concentrate on the form and shapes without any distraction. I see that you have (probably repeatedly) hit the pick-a-brick wall at your local LEGO store!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow, that Philadelphia model is amazing. Wish I had the time, money and skill to do that.

Love the Shard too. Nice work, gentlemen!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 2:55 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Doctor Octoroc:
Your Philly skyline model is quite impressive. I like how its monochromatic nature allows the observer to concentrate on the form and shapes without any distraction. I see that you have (probably repeatedly) hit the pick-a-brick wall at your local LEGO store!
I certainly did. They don't have much variation unfortunately, so I was only able to get about a dozen of the piece types directly from the stores in my area - mainly the clear 2x1 plates and a few sizes of bricks but the selection is so random I opted to order the majority of pieces from various sellers on bricklink.com rather than making constant trips to see what they had in stock at the time. They change it out every 2 or 3 months and at that rate it would have taken a decade to build if I was depending on them for pieces. I actually started with the Architecture Studio but ran out of certain pieces after a few blocks then hit eBay for some lots that came in handy but once I found Bricklink, that's all I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Wow, that Philadelphia model is amazing. Wish I had the time, money and skill to do that.
So do I - I mean, again. I broke the bank on this one haha.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:09 AM

London Model #2

Does it even need an introduciton?!

Palace of Westminster, London

Click the name above to read more!

This model will debut next weekend in LONDON at BRICK 2015! Tickets for the event can be found here.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:27 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Daaaaaaaayyyuuuuummmm. That is some fine work, sir. I've always admired the larger scaled builds but lack the funds and space to do any myself. One giant model is enough for me haha.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 10:56 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Rocco:
Nice model of the Houses of Parliament! Quite a bit more complete that the LEGO architecture set.

The color of the River Thames does not like too inviting though!

Possible new LEGO architecture sets: skylines!
NYC, Berlin, and Venice.

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/201...dmarks/419985/

Supposedly available January 1st, 2016.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:51 AM
I am a typical

The New York one looks kinda shitty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art