Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
That's great. I like the way the single color helps to emphasize the density.
I have a similar scaled model of my city, and I'm actually wanting to scale it up a bit since I've run into some constraints here and there. I'm also wanting to come up with a better base plan. Something module like what you've done looks doable. Right now I'm using 15x15 base plates, and that just doesn't work very well.
Do you have anymore photos that show how each base plate locks into/onto their base?
Nothing showing the exact mechanism, but it's pretty straight forward. Each block is one plate layer, one tile layer, then the actual structures on top of that, so the base sections have 2-unit height recessions with tiles beneath so the blocks stay put at the proper height but don't lock into place. Where the base sections are split, there's are opening along all of one side to the square recessions as the roads are all a single unit wide, with the exception of Broad St running up the middle which is two.
Here's the second of four sections, this one is where the majority of the downtown area sits including Liberty Place, Centre Square, Penn Center, Logan Square, etc.
And here it is again with most of the blocks for that section completed and in their proper locations.
After I took those pictures, I removed 2 of the four plates from each recess since it was kind of a waste to use that many for each, only needed two to hold the blocks up.
Here's another image of the first three sections done and the last one mid-build. At this point, the tiles that the blocks rest upon are level with the plates between block areas where the roads are built up two more units.
You can see the difference between that fourth section and the second one in the first image I posted by all the extra features that are build into the base itself. On the other end, I built a few blocks directly into the base because of the angle of the shape along the river.
And here's the digital model of the entire base (I built it in color first to help locate blocks from this 'distance' haha).
Then here's the digital model of the black display base.
This is where I was glad that I saved those extra tiles from the four base section recesses - those 2x2's weren't sufficient to hold the full sections up and they were getting stuck on the begs, so I added a ton more for them to sit on top of, mainly along the edges and in the middle so they could slide back and forth during assembly.