HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:20 AM

Saint Louis Knows Her Place

Saint Louis is in the middle. New York is on one side. San Francisco is on the other side.

Statue of Italian immigrants in front of St. Ambrose on the Hill:

"Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street!" -Joe Garagiola on growing up on the same street as Yogi Berra on the Hill.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra about a restaurant on the Hill he worked in as a young man, Ruggeri's.

From the movie, Meet Me in St. Louis:

Mr. Neely: [about St. Louis] It's a grand old town.
Tootie Smith: It isn't a town, Mr. Neely. It's a city. It's the only city that has a world's fair. My favorite. Wasn't I lucky to be born in my favorite city?

The apartment building in the background is called Montclair on the Park.
Masters & Johnson Institute was located on the first floor of this building. Masters & Johnson, Sexologists, from the 1950s to the 1990s:

"I found St. Louisans cold, smug, complacent, intolerant, stupid and provincial," he told the Post-Dispatch, adding, "I hate the place."
-Tennessee Williams.
His family moved to St. Louis from the south when he was young. They lived in a Central West End apartment building now known as The Glass Menagerie Building.

I lived on this block in my youth:

It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London.
- T.S. Eliot, born in St. Louis 1888 (Thanks Masterwood)

Said of Al Hirschfeld "There are just two forms of fame on Broadway: seeing your name in lights, and more significantly, to be drawn by Hirschfeld."
Al Hirschfeld, born on Kensington Avenue, St. Louis 1903

Speaking of Broadway, actor Kevin Kline was born in St. Louis in 1947. The St. Louis version of the Tony Awards are called the Kevin Kline Awards.

Saint Louis City Hall:

Old City Hospital turned condo:

Betty Grable was born on Lafayette Avenue and moved to the Forest Park Hotel in the Central West End in 1920.

*New* Old North St. Louis:

Shrine of St. Joseph - site of the midwest's only Vatican approved miracle:

"The first time I ever saw St. Louis, I could have bought it for six million dollars, and it was the mistake of my life that I did not do it."
- Mark Twain

Known as Magic Chef Mansion because it was built by owner of Magic Chef Stove Company:

Actress, Agnes Moorehead grew up in St. Louis. Her father was a Presbytarian minister. (I don't which church)

Westminster Presbytarian Church:

Speaking of witchy, spooky people, Vincent Price was born into a prominent St. Louis family and grew up near Forest Park.

"In the U.S., you have to be a deviant or die of boredom." - William S. Burroughs, born in 1914 into a wealthy St. Louis family.

This is the third set from my trip to St. Louis last month. I am running out of favored pics, so I tried to make it a little more interesting by adding quotes & triva.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Expat; Aug 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 7:09 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

What's the neighborhood in about 9 through 16? It looks like something straight out of out-city Detroit.

Never get tired of seeing St. Louis, and it looks like the weather was good for you. My favorite skyline shot:

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:25 AM

Great tour - I enjoyed the local insights!

That's one hell of a piece of Victoriana.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 11:17 AM

Beautiful thread, somptuous stock of prewar architecture in a fine shape, it seems like it could hardly be better. Downtown just looks a bit too shy, it needs more highrises. So pray for the damn economy to get better, for now it's messed up by the freaks of the financial sector that want their easy jackpots as fast as they can. Damnit, today speculators get all rewards, brave entrepreneurs and hard workers can die... Sorry about my moods but I'm fed up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 11:21 AM

Nice church in 17.....Quirky house in 82.
And could chillout all day in no.58.....again thanks.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
Red brick mama.

Great set! The quotes and tidbits were as cool as the photos!

LMich-- the neighborhoods you are inquiring about are located in the southwest section of the city (the "newest" parts of St. Louis City-- St. Louis Hills, Southampton, Lindenwood Heights, etc). They do resemble Detroit neighborhoods, but there is one glaring difference-- there is hardly a driveway to be found even in these "modern" neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 1:49 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Sometimes I feel like a spoiled brat, having been born in such a cool city.

mousqet-- St. Louis has never been a city of tall towers and it probably never will be. It has long been customary for no building to exceed the height of the Arch (630 ft), and I think it would look pretty stupid if such an iconic landmark were dwarfed by surrounding buildings. The truth is, the city has a very impressive stock of 12-25 story buildings (and a number of much taller ones), which are found all over the place and especially in the Central Corridor, stretching from downtown through Midtown to the Central West End to Skinker/DeMun to Clayton. This is such a distinctive city. There is only one St. Louis. Expat, you done us proud!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 1:53 PM

Lmich - that skyline view was taken from the north. Actually, it is only a partial skyline view.

Bedhead - That pavilion is one of many ornate structures in amazing Tower Grove Park.

Mousquet - I agree, St. Louis could use a little more sparkle in it's skyline. Though I prefer the layers of STL neighborhoods over a city that is all skyline and little else. I think Jive describes the situation well in his post above.

Toyota - the quirky building in 82 is called the Park House. Built in 1860s as a police station. Now used as offices for Lafayette Square Park & police substation. Lafayette Square Park is the oldest park in the city dating from 1838 in it's present form. Before that, it was the St. Louis Common when the city was French. The common dates back to the 1700s. I don't know if this property was every in private hands.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 2:10 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Lafayette Park is the oldest public park west of the Mississippi!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:17 PM

I know what Mousquet is saying. I do think anything over 630 ft would look strange, but about 20 well placed modern hi rises (400-500 ft tall) would compliment the historic structures very well. I think downtown St. Louis was on the verge of a mini boom before the recession, but it will definitely be booming when the economy recovers.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:34 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Great thread as always...

Personally I would have no problem with a pretty low height restriction like DC if it would mean more horizontal lowrise infill. There's plenty of gaps to the west of the CBD. similarly scaled or a little taller mixed use buildings to what is there would look fantastic. Obviously the area around Union Station would be a good redevelopment location once the ghastly I-64 spur is removed. It's walkable to the metrolink station in US.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:57 PM
zzzzzzzz

what a great looking city! And excellent photos as well

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 12:05 AM

Impressive photo tour, St. Louis looks great.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:39 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I'm loving the quotes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 3:51 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Expat, you're on fire! these are phenomenal! really drawn to 4, 29 and 88 in particular. where did you take 81? i can't place it... have to agree that i'm loving the quotes as well. and i'll tell ya what; if i ever meet that tennessee williams sonofab*tch i'll provincial him right in his fat mouth!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:15 AM

I must say that I'm really beginning to buy into the hype... STL indeed has the kind of charm that goes well beyond the brick, but the brick reinforces the charm. Great photos.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 5:18 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
and i'll tell ya what; if i ever meet that tennessee williams sonofab*tch i'll provincial him right in his fat mouth!
aww...

he did choke to death...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
Expat, you're on fire! these are phenomenal! really drawn to 4, 29 and 88 in particular. where did you take 81? i can't place it... have to agree that i'm loving the quotes as well. and i'll tell ya what; if i ever meet that tennessee williams sonofab*tch i'll provincial him right in his fat mouth!
The building in Pic 81 is on Lafayette Avenue west of Jefferson.

Tennessee Williams was a brilliant, but bitter old queen. Another piece of trivia, he was admitted into Barnes Hospital psych ward in 1969 and is buried in Calvary Cemetary.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 3:47 PM

Another amazing thread Expat!!! Your welcome on the T.S. Eliot qoute.

Another fact of Tennessee Williams was that he wanted to be buried at sea, but the leaders of St. Louis went against his wishes and buried him in the city

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood View Post
Another amazing thread Expat!!! Your welcome on the T.S. Eliot qoute.

Another fact of Tennessee Williams was that he wanted to be buried at sea, but the leaders of St. Louis went against his wishes and buried him in the city
Ha! Way to get him back for his smart mouth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos