HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 6:12 PM

Christmas 2015

This thread is for showing off our urban Christmas environments. This is not a competition as none can compete with Ville De Québec. Also any other random non urban stuff is welcome as well.

The Distillery Christmas Market
By Maracanadian

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:35 AM

These are from last year, but I don't think people will mind. Christmas time is such a beautiful time in Vancouver!

First few photos of the One Wall Centre lights.

In Westend many people put up beautiful Christmas lights for bypassers and residents nearby to enjoy.

Robson Square ice rink is an annual tradition for many Vancouverites. It is such a beautiful and urban setting to spend some time with your kids.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:28 AM
恭喜发财!

I'm going home for Christmas this year for the first time in 9 years. I'm really looking forward to showing my wife what real Christmas is like, as it's not particularly big in Shanghai (and basically non-existent outside the malls).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:08 PM

It has been three years since I last visited the Vancouver Christmas Markets at Queen Elizabeth Theater plaza, so this year it was time to make a comeback.

I still cannot understand how you have to pay to enter the markets as almost all christmas markets in Europe are free to enter. Back in 2012 the entry was $5, but now they are already charging $8 per person, which I find bordering too much. With the ticket you can come and go as many times as you like during the season, but that should be a given...

Inside it is still very nice and it resembles traditional German christmas markets. I lived in Germany for five years, so I know what I mean by that.

There is a lot to see, try and buy.

Lots of the treats are nice, but again very expensive. A simple bun with sausage was $8 which borders a rip-off. I can get a burger combo for that price elsewhere. Also $6 for a single waffle. Our currency cannot be that weak?

Despite the prices, it was very busy on both times I went there (during week and weekend). People seemed to like it and were not in a hurry to leave. The atmosphere at the markets is great which is a big thing.

For young and also old there is also a merry-go-round to enjoy.

I like christmas markets, so it is a bit shame that the one in Vancouver is having such a rip-off pricing for everything. It is also almost excatly the same every year, so I am not in a hurry to go back.

There was also a plan to have something similar in Olympic Village this christmas, but I suppose that didn't materialize. There is also some kind of Winter Wonderland opening at PNE this weekend, which might be worth checking out...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 12:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

All the normal stuff - Christmas parade, pub crawls, music everywhere, Mummers Festival, etc.

One weird thing... Provincial Airlines and 99.1 HITS FM are pretending to fly a bunch of kids to the North Pole to meet Santa. I assume they'll just circle the airport or something.

Still, would've been exciting as a kid, even if it is a little cruel.

FB

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The ceremony on Signal Hill for the lighting of the star on Cabot Tower. This was yesterday evening.

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada