HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Are the "curlies curlies" what I think they are?
Not what I meant but they do have a resemblance. They should disappear from the bus map as they have from life.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Baseline BRT should be the next priority to better serve the public inside the Greenbelt and to provide better overall connectivity. I have said for years that it is the missing link. Nothing better to advertise transit than to have transit moving faster than cars in adjacent lanes. Instead, we have buses stuck in traffic on a key corridor.
That and Carling. I honestly don't understand why we couldn't have bus lanes most of the way down Carling already. Relatively small budget and significant improvements in service. It's pretty much just paint and then you could upgrade stops and signals over time.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Not what I meant but they do have a resemblance. They should disappear from the bus map as they have from life.
I was talking about how OC Transpo buses make a detour to enter a special bus stop zone (and leave it, often waiting for traffic lights), wasting time, instead of simply dropping people off on the side of the straight thoroughfare like they do in other cities.

Not sure what the other meaning might be.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was talking about how OC Transpo buses make a detour to enter a special bus stop zone (and leave it, often waiting for traffic lights), wasting time, instead of simply dropping people off on the side of the straight thoroughfare like they do in other cities.

Not sure what the other meaning might be.
No I mean when a crush load bus turns off the main street to go on some curly route to end up barely past where they started 5 minutes later to get one passenger.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
And yet, we continue to build things which require buses to deviate, change lanes, and turn against traffic, all of which are transit-killers.

Express deviation-avoidance principles need to start being built into policies and infrastructure.
Honestly wish they'd hire somebody like Jarrett Walker to do route rationalization. I'd love to see an outside opinion. And they get to blame some unpopular opinions on the "outsider".

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Honestly wish they'd hire somebody like Jarrett Walker to do route rationalization. I'd love to see an outside opinion. And they get to blame some unpopular opinions on the "outsider".
I just wish we'd build places and things and infrastructure that avoided the necessity for "rationalization" altogether.

Grids work. Setbacks suck. Let's assimilate those lessons.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 7:23 PM

https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/ar...your-feedback/

Link to OC Transpo's customer satisfaction surveys for O-Train and bus service. Available until May 5.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:13 PM

OC Transpo falls short on ridership and revenue compared to budget. Read between the lines if this persists. However, ridership is up compared to the same months last year.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo...2024-1.6842748

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OC Transpo acknowledges need to improve on-time service of buses
A report to the City of Ottawa's transit committee included better performance numbers for the LRT and ParaTranspo.

Ken Warren, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 11, 2024 • Last updated 15 minutes ago • 1 minute read

OC Transpo’s internal review of its own performance shows that plenty of work still needs to be done to improve reliability of bus service within the city.

Overall 26 per cent of buses were unable to meet service standards in 2023, and only 74.5 per cent of buses operating every 16 minutes or less were on time.

The statistics were included in a scorecard delivered Thursday to a city hall transit committee meeting by OC Transpo general manager Rene Amilcar and manager of business and technical support systems Bart Cormier.

A year ago, Ottawa’s beleaguered transportation system initiated a five-year grand plan aimed at improving service in all areas.

That included enhancing safety, providing more timely service of buses and trains on the O-Line rail system and eventually transitioning to a fleet of zero-emission vehicles.

The unreliability of the bus service has been, of course, an on-going headache for commuters. The short-term target for OC Transpo is to reach 85 per cent on-time performance.

Thursday’s report included better numbers from the performance of the LRT and ParaTranspo.

Cormier reported that O-Line service delivery was at 97.1 per cent. The ultimate goal is 99.5 per cent. ParaTranspo reliability was 92.5 per cent, with an aim of hitting 95 per cent.

The transit agency also said there were 1.1 vehicle collisions per 100,000 kilometres driven.

Concerned about the aging fleet of diesel buses, Barrhaven East Coun. Wilson Lo questioned Amilcar about the slower than expected rollout of more zero-emission buses.

Amilcar said OC Transpo continued to explore all technologies, including the possibility of purchasing hydrogen-powered buses in the future.

kwarren@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rvice-of-buses

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

$1M a month revenue shortfall 'not a huge concern' for OC Transpo head
Councillor worries it will keep bleeding money without better hybrid worker options

Arthur White-Crummey · CBC News
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

OC Transpo is starting the year with its fare revenue falling about a million dollars a month below budget, but its general manager says the shortfall is not yet a huge concern.

Ottawa's transit services budget forecast $13.7 million in fare revenue for January and $13.8 million for February, but fares actually accounted for $12.2 million and $12.8 million respectively.

Those estimates were set as OC Transpo struggled to fill a massive hole in its finances, pulling from reserves and cutting jobs.

There's little cash left in the rainy day fund should revenues continue to disappoint in the months ahead.

Renée Amilcar, the city's general manager of transit services, said the main revenue challenge stems from weak sales of adult monthly passes as commuters working hybrid schedules continue to stay home part of the time.

At $3.80 a ride if paying by card, it takes adults about 34 fares to reach their monthly pass price of $128.75.

<more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...loss-1.7171111

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
She did not clarify whether service cuts will be on the table to avoid sinking into a deficit.
I assume this would be additional service cuts beyond what is already proposed.

Of course, we have heard nothing about the estimated impact on ridership (and revenue) with existing proposed service cut.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've noticed that during and post-pandemic most transit agencies (including the STO in my city) bravely maintained most of their pre-pandemic service levels, in spite of ridership never really returning to close to pre-pandemic numbers. I think very large cities like Montreal and Toronto will be reasonably OK (and their ridership has rebounded quite well) but in smaller cities I've been telling myself that eventually something's gonna give. That time is fast approaching. If not already here.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:13 PM

In hindsight, we should have made drastic cuts DURING the pandemic, at least to commuter routes. Line 1 should have run singles only.

The only tricky thing would have been potential loss of drivers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation