HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 8:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Also goes to show that the ubiquitous Yellow Cab "takeover" came much later than what most people think... really not until the 1970s did the icon of the solid yellow NYC Checker cab become a thing. That image is '64.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 8:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ it was never a total takeover. we still have an old school cab service that serves staten, red top. no yellows here.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:37 AM

The teal and orange matches Toronto’s largest cab company:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:45 AM

Any Bus Terminal expansion should take into account forcing operators like Megabus/Bolt Bus/Fung Wah/Peter Pan/Greyhound type operators to do business in it too and banning their curbside operations elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/port...n-of-cash.html

Port Authority Bus Terminal replacement gets $65M infusion of cash

Jul. 05, 2023

Quote:
There are no bulldozers, cranes and platoons of orange-vested construction crews working on the two massive buildings on 42nd Street between Seventh and Ninth avenues. But engineers, planners and architects are at work and the Port Authority’s board pumped another $65 million into the project to keep them working.

Of the $65 million approved on June 22, $49 million is added to a contract with WSP, hired in 2017 for the first phase of design, engineering work and to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement, Rick Cotton, Port Authority executive director told reporters last week.

.....The new design is a ground-up replacement, introduced in January, that would include a five-story bus terminal, a close to 1-million square-feet of bus storage and staging building between 9th and 10th avenues, and a bigger set of ramps directly to and from the Lincoln Tunnel. It would provide five floors for buses and 160 passenger gates.

The new terminal design also includes infrastructure for future construction of four high-rise towers over portions of the new bus terminal that could help fund it, through sale of air rights and payments in lieu of taxes shared by the city with the authority.
Quote:
The added funding “will keep everybody at work,” Cotton said.

“This is a complicated project, there have been other fund provided in the run up,” he said. “WSP was one of the early consultant s hired to work on the planning on the preparation of the environmental review.”

No date is projected when the draft environmental impact statement could be completed, a spokesperson said Friday. That document would trigger another round of public hearings about what that analysis says, a response and possible modifications to the plans before it is submitted to the FTA for a decision.

.....Last August, the authority hired Foster + Partners and A. Epstein and Sons International, Inc., as an architectural design team, for the bus terminal which are still at work.

“We have very high aspirations,” Cotton said. “We want it to be an architectural gem, we want it to be highly functional in it’s capacity to handle buses.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

via brad hoylman email — the register eventbrite link didn’t work, but fyi:

Updates on the Midtown Bus Terminal

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will be hosting a Community Information Session on the proposed replacement of the existing midtown bus terminal on Tuesday, February 6, 2024, from 6:00PM-8:00PM. The session will be held in person and via live stream to update the community on the proposed plans for a new Main Terminal, Storage and Staging Facility, and associated ramp infrastructure. Advance registration is required due to limited seating available for the in-person option. To register for in-person or livestream link click here.

more pabt plan info:
https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals...cess-pabt.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
via brad hoylman email — the register eventbrite link didn’t work, but fyi:

Updates on the Midtown Bus Terminal

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will be hosting a Community Information Session on the proposed replacement of the existing midtown bus terminal on Tuesday, February 6, 2024, from 6:00PM-8:00PM. The session will be held in person and via live stream to update the community on the proposed plans for a new Main Terminal, Storage and Staging Facility, and associated ramp infrastructure. Advance registration is required due to limited seating available for the in-person option. To register for in-person or livestream link click here.

more pabt plan info:
https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals...cess-pabt.html

There's nothing else to update on, so I presume they will have more detailed plans on what the actual terminal will look like.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:43 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/n...placement.html

A Look at the $10 Billion Design for a New Port Authority Bus Terminal
The Port Authority unveiled a revised design for a replacement of the much-reviled transit hub, which opened in 1950.

By Patrick McGeehan
Feb. 1, 2024

Quote:
It has taken a full decade to conceive, but a $10 billion transformation of New York City’s dreary main bus terminal may get rolling in the next few months.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the terminal, unveiled an updated design for its replacement on Thursday. Instead of the dismal, brick hulk that has darkened two full blocks of Midtown Manhattan for over 70 years, there would be a bright, modern transit hub topped by two office towers.

Construction is expected to take eight years, he said, meaning the project could be completed by 2032. Planning was delayed at least a year by the coronavirus pandemic.

A previous design that had included building towers on Port Authority property near the terminal has been scaled back. The revised plan calls for fewer new buildings, with office towers that could be more than 60 stories tall on Eighth Avenue at the corners of 40th and 42nd Streets. Payments from the developers of those buildings would help cover the cost of the project, Mr. Cotton said.
Quote:
The project would be built in two four-year phases.

The first would involve constructing a separate building west of the terminal to serve as a storage and staging area for buses, as well as ramps to connect the terminal directly to the Lincoln Tunnel. The second phase would consist of building the new terminal where the old one now stands without disrupting the flow of buses that stream in and out of the city at rush hours.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Replace that clock with a giant Mondaine and we're set.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

I've had a chance to sift through some of the documents. I know I will probably regret posting this, but let me just say that both the massing and the heights given and shown for the two office towers are for the DEIS study purposes only. We are at best a decade away from either of the towers being built. A long way out from even seeing a developer selected.

But what we do know is the size of the towers, so you can draw some conclusions from that. You have a 3 MSF zoned tower and a 2 MSF zoned tower, with typical mechanical space making the sizes considerably larger. Add to that the fact that the towers will be elevated over the bus terminal, and you get even more of an idea.

Anyway, some reading and graphics to go along with the new plan.

I imagine when we get to see the full renderings of what they are planning, we will be blown away. Over the next decade, both Penn Station and the Port Authority are going to be rebuilt. And it's about time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:48 AM
Show me the blueprints

Obviously this is colossal and a lot to take in. I don't mean to bury the lead so to speak with the tower potential on 8th but I'd really like to know why the "Dyer Deck-Overs" are being planned as awkward mid block green space and not just additional air right development. I mean if you are going to invest in bridging over an open cut like the Lincoln Tunnel Expy and the eastern portal plaza why not build structures? Is this a safety thing?

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the fact the historic North Tunnel portal will be obliterated. I think it's rather grand pre-war auto/civic architecture and wish there was another solution for the ramp structure that didn't require it to be plopped right on top. But if it does it does I guess. I would also like to know why some of those plan outlines show that ramp structure exposed and others enclosed. I am assuming it will be enclosed.

This whole plan does have the potential to look, and just as importantly, operate amazing. I can only hope the same level of architectural treatment is given to the auxiliary structures exteriors as is the main terminal.

One thing is for sure, this thing is going to be massive. That 9th avenue bridge structure is going to be awe inspiring to look at. And when these towers come online, even if they don't reach these max allowed sizes, should look incredible as part of the complex.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 8:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:50 PM
New Yorker for life

A little more reading and thoughts on the development of the new bus terminal and towers.

The bus terminal itself will rise to 160 ft+. That's 16 stories in some cases. It will be a massive structure.

The skyscrapers above will be set back from the street.

Street level retail will go a long way to activating the streets along this massive building, great considering the various residential developments being built around it.

A look at the breakdown of the various levels inside the terminal.

I would prefer it if the deck over lot 10 were extended over to 10th Avenue to get the full block park.

A look at a couple of conceptual renderings, not the Foster renderings we have seen.

One thing about this terminal, as I mentioned earlier, it will be 160 ft+, more than twice the height of the current terminal.

To put that into perspective, it will be higher than the first setback of the McGraw Hill Building, wrapping around from 8th Avenue to 11th Avenue.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

These threads should be merged until PABT future towers are actual proposals. PABT rebuild coverage doesn't need two separate threads with the same info.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 5:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Obviously this is colossal and a lot to take in. I don't mean to bury the lead so to speak with the tower potential on 8th but I'd really like to know why the "Dyer Deck-Overs" are being planned as awkward mid block green space and not just additional air right development. I mean if you are going to invest in bridging over an open cut like the Lincoln Tunnel Expy and the eastern portal plaza why not build structures? Is this a safety thing?
Air rights transfer probably. Keeping the Dyer decks as open space allows the PABT towers to get bigger. Purely from a transport perspective, it does make some sense to concentrate new development closer to the PABT-Times Square subway hub and not 1.5 long blocks west.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
These threads should be merged until PABT future towers are actual proposals.
They're already proposals. They don't have designs, but they are certainly proposals. The same can be said for many other proposals.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 9:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

more —

Transit
‘Frankenstein, meet Cinderella’: Inside the $10 billion vision to replace the notorious Port Authority Bus Terminal

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on February 1, 2024

The Port Authority on Thursday unveiled an ambitious $10 billion proposal to tear down its decrepit, maligned 73-year-old bus terminal and replace it a new one geared toward the commuter needs of the 21st century.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/port-au...ruction-plans/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development