HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 1:52 PM
Urban Advocate

Doesn't front a highly trafficked enough street IMO, unless you reverse it. I worry about the requirement for 'abundant parking for exclusive use' that would be preventative of an existing downtown location, excluding a new build. Edmonton Motors maybe? Otherwise, my guess is suburban.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:25 PM

Didn't Sunterra used to run an operation somewhere on the west side of Edmonton?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
Doesn't front a highly trafficked enough street IMO, unless you reverse it. I worry about the requirement for 'abundant parking for exclusive use' that would be preventative of an existing downtown location, excluding a new build. Edmonton Motors maybe? Otherwise, my guess is suburban.
They do have a number of urban locations that don't have abundant parking for exclusive use, so I don't think that's a big issue for them.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
They do have a number of urban locations that don't have abundant parking for exclusive use, so I don't think that's a big issue for them.
Well, I'm not sure that Edmonton has the combined density and affluence to pull something off like Hazelton Lanes in Toronto. You just don't need rich people and density, you need rich people living densely.

I remember reading in a story about Whole Food's coming Canadian expansion that they were distinctly disappointed by the performance of that store.

Now if Century Park was built out, that would be a great location.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:05 PM

I'm wondering if Whole Food's rumored Jasper Ave location is the new John Day development @ 123 St

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:11 PM
Urban Advocate

....interesting theory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
In Edmonton, it will be. Guaranteed it will be a driving concern for them when considering location.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:48 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm wondering if Whole Food's rumored Jasper Ave location is the new John Day development @ 123 St
They were trying to land a grocer there...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:30 AM

J. Crew confirms it’s setting up shop at West Edmonton Mall

By Bill Mah, edmontonjournal.com February 23, 2012

Quote:
A West Edmonton Mall location is one of three new Canadian stores J. Crew plans to open this year; the others are Vancouver, also in the spring, and Toronto in the fall. West Edmonton Mall announced the new store last year, but Thursday was the first time J. Crew has confirmed it.

Edmonton will get a 5,657-square-foot store on level two of the mall’s Phase 3 between Banana Republic and H & M. It’s expected to open in May.
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz1nNtGLyn5

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 5:48 PM

Ethan Allen is now open downtown (109 St/105 Ave). They have temporary window signs though, so I hope some nice permanent signage is coming soon.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:31 PM

A little insight on Whole Foods for everyone, since it seems to be 'of the moment' here.

On the Canadian operation:

Yes, the initial performance was poor for the Canadian stores, some of that was execution, some of that was the low dollar, some was a complete lack of brand awareness (the name was just not well known here when they first set up shop, largely before the 'Top Chef' phenomenon. Keep in the mind they did not have border stores in Buffalo or Detroit.

That said, Whole Foods Canada is performing well above its U.S. peers on whole.

The Canadian stores were so successful, that when Whole Foods in the U.S. required capital, right after the financial crisis, they withdrew, I think it was $60,000,000 from the Cdn operations reserves.

The sales are right up there on a per sq ft basis.

In Ontario, Whole Foods has already added 'Square One' a location in the suburb of Mississauga, but is also currently building locations in North York and Markham; and will shortly announce several more.

I don't think Edmonton will have any trouble sustaining one.

The suburban Toronto one (Oakville) draws from as far as Buffalo, N.Y., and Brantford, ON

My understanding (not inside knowledge) is that Whole Foods is intending a fairly rapid build out in Canada now; with the intent of forming one or two Canadian 'regions' with their own distribution centres and offices.

They just need to get to a critical mass of stores to justify the outlay; but it would save them enormous hassles with customs and logistics.

Right now many products for Ontario come through the Michigan warehouse and are approved by the office in Illinois; but then staff at store level have to affix bilingual labels.

I can't say for sure.....

But I may have overheard that the plan is for something like 40 Canadian stores (currently 7 + 2 under construction and 1 in Ottawa announced) just about 1/2 would be in Ontario, but they are probably eyeing Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Winnipeg is more of a question mark for me; simply because it would be a singular market well away from other stores.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:33 PM

Rogers exits video store business
Company to shutter remaining locations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ers-video.html

So I guess that means the location at Jasper Ave/112 St will be up for grabs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:32 PM

^^ Friend of mine who is a Manager for Rogers says the store will downsize and become wireless possibly have a Rogers/Fido store in it's place. I'm curious how they plan on dividing it up tho

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:37 PM

Whatever they do, hopefully it's all front entrances.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:29 PM

Idea for Rogers space:

Bounce/Sonic street level DJ booth. It's a heavy pedestrian area that will increase with the Cactus Club. I haven't noticed if the Bounce is still at Enterprise Square.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:52 PM
So very tired...

^ Bounce moved into the same building as Sonic on Gateway about 6 months ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
A little insight on Whole Foods for everyone, since it seems to be 'of the moment' here.

On the Canadian operation:

Yes, the initial performance was poor for the Canadian stores, some of that was execution, some of that was the low dollar, some was a complete lack of brand awareness (the name was just not well known here when they first set up shop, largely before the 'Top Chef' phenomenon. Keep in the mind they did not have border stores in Buffalo or Detroit.

That said, Whole Foods Canada is performing well above its U.S. peers on whole.

The Canadian stores were so successful, that when Whole Foods in the U.S. required capital, right after the financial crisis, they withdrew, I think it was $60,000,000 from the Cdn operations reserves.

The sales are right up there on a per sq ft basis.

In Ontario, Whole Foods has already added 'Square One' a location in the suburb of Mississauga, but is also currently building locations in North York and Markham; and will shortly announce several more.

I don't think Edmonton will have any trouble sustaining one.

The suburban Toronto one (Oakville) draws from as far as Buffalo, N.Y., and Brantford, ON

My understanding (not inside knowledge) is that Whole Foods is intending a fairly rapid build out in Canada now; with the intent of forming one or two Canadian 'regions' with their own distribution centres and offices.

They just need to get to a critical mass of stores to justify the outlay; but it would save them enormous hassles with customs and logistics.

Right now many products for Ontario come through the Michigan warehouse and are approved by the office in Illinois; but then staff at store level have to affix bilingual labels.

I can't say for sure.....

But I may have overheard that the plan is for something like 40 Canadian stores (currently 7 + 2 under construction and 1 in Ottawa announced) just about 1/2 would be in Ontario, but they are probably eyeing Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Winnipeg is more of a question mark for me; simply because it would be a singular market well away from other stores.
interesting info - glad to see them expanding, the ones here in vancouver are always busy - i believe they are opening another one in the downtown core in a still to be built condo project in yaletown

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^ Bounce moved into the same building as Sonic on Gateway about 6 months ago.
That's too bad as I think these studios that interact with the street are really cool and could help bring more activities to the downtown core if put in the right place. For example I think it could be a great idea if there were a tv or radio station on Rice Howard Way. There would then be room not only for the studios but some of the common area could host little mini concerts of music guests to that station.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
interesting info - glad to see them expanding, the ones here in vancouver are always busy - i believe they are opening another one in the downtown core in a still to be built condo project in yaletown
The one at Cambie/Broadway is an absolute madhouse on weekends. You can barely move around in it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:56 PM

Or perhaps we will get an Urban 90 store first.

Walmart goes small with “Urban 90″ S ...
http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-st...ercentre-11085

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:15 PM
Urban Advocate

Yeah. Google 'Walmart Express'. It is their most recent target market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton