HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:09 PM

Wow! Cool! Will it take up the entire space? That area is already a traffic nightmare at 5:00. What are they going to do when this is built and Seaholm is up and running? BTW - The Athena deal, ehhhhh........

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Wow! Cool! Will it take up the entire space? That area is already a traffic nightmare at 5:00. What are they going to do when this is built and Seaholm is up and running? BTW - The Athena deal, ehhhhh........
The expansion of the grid should help traffic absorb. I expect a few new lights on CC... it will become more of a downtown street than a through fare...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Will it take up the entire space?
Block 1 won't take up the entire space. It will only take up 1 corner of the space. There are 4 buildings in total but work is only starting on Block 1 for right now. Here is a diagram:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:05 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Block 1 won't take up the entire space. It will only take up 1 corner of the space. There are 4 buildings in total but work is only starting on Block 1 for right now. Here is a diagram:

Quick question.... Who in the world numbered the blocks? It makes no sense lol. Just wondering why there's block 1 next to block 185 and block 23 above block 1????

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:18 AM

Lots and Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Quick question.... Who in the world numbered the blocks? It makes no sense lol. Just wondering why there's block 1 next to block 185 and block 23 above block 1????
Its actually a very interesting part of the downtown story! First of all, you will need to take a look at this map: https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map0928.jpg

When the original city plan was created they set aside those areas necessary for civic use, and then neatly numbered every block downtown for auction (179 in all). However, they neglected to number ALL the blocks, only the ones for sale. This worked fine until it was necessary to add a new block or sell a public one later on. They added some blocks south of Water Ave., so they are 180, 181, 182, etc. Then the four block Penitentiary at the end of Shoal Creek was auctioned off as blocks 185, 186, 187, 188. Then they added two more blocks at the end of Red River as 189 and 190.

At this point someone realized that this was confusing and ruining the entire point of numbering everything, so they changed style. When the U.S. Armory block sold, between blocks 11 and 12, they called it Block 12A. When the Northeast Public Square, between 113 and 114, sold they renamed it Block 113A. Confused yet? Just wait. When the Court House / Jail sold, between block 26 and 27, guess what they called it? "Old Court House Block".

At least it started with good intentions.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:20 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

well at least it goes with the spirit of keeping Austin weird.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 9:53 PM

GreenWater & Seaholm Projects Overview

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:08 PM
Meh

Awesome. It's actually happening.

I posted a thread for it in the main section, too:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209871

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 12:45 AM

Now if we could only move the electric substation or whatever that is, we could plant another tower in its place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:48 PM

That was quick. Google Maps now shows planned extensions of West 2nd Street, Nueces Street, and West Avenue.

Cool to visualize the massive transformation for the entire area.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:31 PM

Google usually only does this when the building of a road is imminent, so that tells me we should see these finished pretty soon. Actually, the map shows the road by Seaholm as completed. I didn't realize that was the case.

There's still one planned road extension that isn't showing up there; the 3rd St. extension to West Ave. I'm thinking they'll wait until the ECC building is destroyed before they start work on that one, though. It will be nice to see those palm trees that are currently at that dead end get chopped down. Heheh.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Google usually only does this when the building of a road is imminent, so that tells me we should see these finished pretty soon. Actually, the map shows the road by Seaholm as completed. I didn't realize that was the case.

There's still one planned road extension that isn't showing up there; the 3rd St. extension to West Ave. I'm thinking they'll wait until the ECC building is destroyed before they start work on that one, though. It will be nice to see those palm trees that are currently at that dead end get chopped down. Heheh.
3rd to West isn't going to be for cars. That's just been in renderings, but never an actual approved plan. As far as I know, it'll remain as is. They better not tear down that ped bridge. Having that at the base of my building is perfect for cyclists and pedestrians who want easy and safe access to the trail.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
3rd to West isn't going to be for cars. That's just been in renderings, but never an actual approved plan. As far as I know, it'll remain as is. They better not tear down that ped bridge. Having that at the base of my building is perfect for cyclists and pedestrians who want easy and safe access to the trail.
Pretty sure it is, bud. Why would it be in all the (very detailed) renderings if it wasn't being built? You gotta think that the developer of the ECC project would want that road built. Why would the City of Austin not connect that road when it's easily doable? Because a few residents of the 360 don't want them to? Building it benefits all Austinites and helps better intergrate the area with the rest of the city.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:17 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

They'll probably replace the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:32 AM

I found this but I can't figure out what "construction of an alternate (one-way) 3rd St. from Seaholm to West Avenue" is supposed to mean. Per the below map, are they splitting 3rd Street in two just north of the Seaholm development? And is that to line it up with the 3rd Street across the creek? I'm confused.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That looks like what they're planning. They are adding that eastbound part of 3rd by Seaholm so it lines up with the train tracks going over Shoal Creek. Westbound 3rd will end at Shoal Creek, and pick back up past West Ave.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:09 AM

I can't be the only one that thinks that's weird and not a good plan.

To me, it seems like they could easily make it a two-way road since they own the ECC property and could make part of it a road.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:48 AM

Quote:
I can't be the only one that thinks that's weird and not a good plan.

To me, it seems like they could easily make it a two-way road since they own the ECC property and could make part of it a road.
na, dude. It isn't happening at this time....and anything eliminating or reducing alternative transportation options is NOT a good idea for downtown Austin.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:21 PM

I didn't say it was happening at this time, in the literal sense; just that it's planned. The fact that they are splitting 3rd St. north of Seaholm seems to be pretty good evidence that it's in the works.

And how is building a road eliminating or reducing transportation options? To me, it seems like it's only adding options. Try to think beyond your own narrow self-interest.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:35 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think the eastbound road could be added alongside the pedestrian/bike bridge. If so, it wouldn't reduce alternative transportation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin