HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 9:38 PM

Site today. Piles have been installed on two sides of the site.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:47 PM
BANNED

people at the RARC have to be loving the noise next door. That is luxury living.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:23 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
people at the RARC have to be loving the noise next door. That is luxury living.
They will also have a luxurious new view into someones hotel room too....Mmmmm lovely

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
They will also have a luxurious new view into someones hotel room too....Mmmmm lovely
I recall years ago that there was the possibility of developing both parcels together, but that there was intense fighting between the interested parties that ended up guaranteeing two tall building side by side. The details have faded from memory, but I remember thinking "what a shame" at the time.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I recall years ago that there was the possibility of developing both parcels together, but that there was intense fighting between the interested parties that ended up guaranteeing two tall building side by side. The details have faded from memory, but I remember thinking "what a shame" at the time.
That was the Kling design. Still hope it goes somewhere like 13th and Market.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:04 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Want some history? Here ya go.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=5100

http://philaphilia.blogspot.com/2011...july-14th.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Thanks! Ah, the memories.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Ah, the memories.
Yes, Philadelphia has tons of memories as far as what was there, or what "could have been there". Below is from Wikipedia after you search Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Building. Shortly after the 38 story Skyscraper opened in 1972, about a year or two later, there was a rendering of what was "supposed to be" a twin to the now destroyed skyscraper. (I wish I had kept that Bulletin Newspaper Magazine article.) The rendering had an aerial view of the two structures connected, with the south tower having the same façade as the Northern tower. It also had a helipad as the south tower had. But anyway, Wikipedia confirms that I wasn't dreaming this up.

Here's the quote:

At one point there were plans to build a structure on the south side of One Meridian Plaza that would share one of the elevator banks in the high-rise, but nothing came of the plans mainly due to neither site having the same owner.[3] On the northwest corner of the property is a bronze sculpture called "Triune." Designed by Robert Engman the abstract sculpture was not damaged in the 1991 fire and is still there.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Meridian_Plaza

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Yes, Philadelphia has tons of memories as far as what was there, or what "could have been there". Below is from Wikipedia after you search Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Building. Shortly after the 38 story Skyscraper opened in 1972, about a year or two later, there was a rendering of what was "supposed to be" a twin to the now destroyed skyscraper. (I wish I had kept that Bulletin Newspaper Magazine article.) The rendering had an aerial view of the two structures connected, with the south tower having the same façade as the Northern tower. It also had a helipad as the south tower had. But anyway, Wikipedia confirms that I wasn't dreaming this up.

Here's the quote:

At one point there were plans to build a structure on the south side of One Meridian Plaza that would share one of the elevator banks in the high-rise, but nothing came of the plans mainly due to neither site having the same owner.[3] On the northwest corner of the property is a bronze sculpture called "Triune." Designed by Robert Engman the abstract sculpture was not damaged in the 1991 fire and is still there.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Meridian_Plaza
This is the one that I was thinking of ("Center City Tower"), thanks to the information provided by others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...hiladelphia%29. As you say, there's been so much "coulda beens" -- not just in Philly -- but at this site alone, that it's hard to keep track. Without help, I couldn't get further back than the defunct Waldorf proposal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
This is the one that I was thinking of ("Center City Tower"), thanks to the information provided by others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...hiladelphia%29. As you say, there's been so much "coulda beens" -- not just in Philly -- but at this site alone, that it's hard to keep track. Without help, I couldn't get further back than the defunct Waldorf proposal.
Yeah, Center City Tower is a favorite with almost everyone. Not just because of the 1000 ft. height, but actually looked "futuristic". It reminded me of a skyscraper you might see in the movie "Metropolis". The other ones that stick in my mind is IBX (twin) never built. Also, going back to the late 60's early 70's was a Hyatt Hotel (with a revolving "Jetson's style" restaurant) to be built at 20th & Market. (2000 Market was built instead). AND the last one that was "earth shattering" and it's not clear in mind who the developer was, BUT it actually broke the "Gentlemen's agreement". It stood 49 stories and it "stepped down" when it reached the Parkway. (It was located where 2 Logan Square & the "Former" Four Seasons Restaurant sits. The project was HUGE, with the 49 story portion sitting back farthest away from the Parkway. I believe this was the "start" of the Nimby process in Philly. Not only were they fighting the "Gentlemen's agreement" portion, but of course "The Shadows on the Parkway. That's what started the restricted height limit of what I believe it's 250 ft?
Anyway, back to W and Element show, come on, let's go already!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Center City Tower is a favorite with almost everyone. Not just because of the 1000 ft. height, but actually looked "futuristic". It reminded me of a skyscraper you might see in the movie "Metropolis". The other ones that stick in my mind is IBX (twin) never built. Also, going back to the late 60's early 70's was a Hyatt Hotel (with a revolving "Jetson's style" restaurant) to be built at 20th & Market. (2000 Market was built instead). AND the last one that was "earth shattering" and it's not clear in mind who the developer was, BUT it actually broke the "Gentlemen's agreement". It stood 49 stories and it "stepped down" when it reached the Parkway. (It was located where 2 Logan Square & the "Former" Four Seasons Restaurant sits. The project was HUGE, with the 49 story portion sitting back farthest away from the Parkway. I believe this was the "start" of the Nimby process in Philly. Not only were they fighting the "Gentlemen's agreement" portion, but of course "The Shadows on the Parkway. That's what started the restricted height limit of what I believe it's 250 ft?
Anyway, back to W and Element show, come on, let's go already!
Don't forget Mandeville Place, that was a beauty.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Actually, many, many more. Here's a website that just touches the surface of "never built". It includes other cities as well as Philadelphia's NB.

http://www.google.com/search?q=skysc...Ch17Owrz&dpr=1

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 3:10 PM

This would have solved all of the issues of the "dirt pile".

Proposed way back in 1957, and would have broke the "Gentlemen's Agreement". (From the above website)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:

Proposed way back in 1957, and would have broke the "Gentlemen's Agreement". (From the above website)
Sorry but I don't see a website link except Google images.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 1:53 AM

Quote:

For 1957, wouldn't have been mad'

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I long for the day Mandeville Place comes back into play.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I long for the day Mandeville Place comes back into play.
Yeah, I keep secretly wishing someone picks it up again.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:52 AM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:59 PM

On my way in to work today, from street level it looked like full excavation was finally underway, and I was all like:

But now here we are at lunch time and the progress that I saw has been filled in once again.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
On my way in to work today, from street level it looked like full excavation was finally underway, and I was all like:

But now here we are at lunch time and the progress that I saw has been filled in once again.
Fool you 46 times, shame on you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive