HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:36 PM

30th Floor One Liberty Place

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:12 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Lowermanhattan.info

*The following information was last updated on May 27, 2011.

Quote:
-Facade installation is now above floor 37
-Tower steel is now above floor 66
-Concrete is now being installed
-Spray-on fireproofing underway
-Elevator shaft fit-out
-Multiple cranes on site for steel and concrete installation
-Both the south and north cores are now being erected as the structure rises
-"Cocoon" safety system now in place around upper perimeter, to rise with structure
-Utility installation and tie-ins
-Crews are coordinating substructure construction while maintaining PATH service

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Another amazing photo. I was looking at one pic from the previous photo that had one of the waterfalls in it. The thing is looking amazing. It looks like they're adding the names around the edge? maybe someone in nyc can confirm that. It's just so exciting to see how good everything is looking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at it keeps looking better and better, more people will come back to the wtc towers. So we can get 2 and 3 past ground level!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:28 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
Another amazing photo. I was looking at one pic from the previous photo that had one of the waterfalls in it. The thing is looking amazing. It looks like they're adding the names around the edge? maybe someone in nyc can confirm that. It's just so exciting to see how good everything is looking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at it keeps looking better and better, more people will come back to the wtc towers. So we can get 2 and 3 past ground level!
Yes, they are indeed

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
June 7, 2011 - sorry about the reflections

this is the pic of the waterfalls. I always thought it would be so cool to have those awesome blue lights that were used after 9/11, built in around the fountain for nighttime. But I would imagine the cost of running those everynight would be enormous.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are indeed
thanks!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
Khurram Parvaz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrolig/...n/photostream/
Awesome picture unfortunately the owner has blocked it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrolig/...n/photostream/
Awesome picture unfortunately the owner has blocked it.
wow, that is amazing! Very cool pic!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 12:21 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 12:42 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:01 AM
Grand is Golden!

Another rendering that I did. This one is more of a night-time scene.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:52 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
What a picture !!! Stunning !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 2:37 AM

Hey guys, if anyone knows anyone who may be interested in pledging towards my 1WTC time-lapse project, I would be eternally grateful if you could refer them to the following link. The project is almost fully funded but if I don't get the small amount required in the next 4 days, I don't get any of it and the project won't be able to go ahead. There are handsome rewards in return for dontations.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-center-tower

Thanks for indulging my shameless self-promotion

Photo from tonight, fireworks near Brooklyn Bridge.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 4:38 PM

Ew, what???!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

$1M hole in the wall

Conde blows dough on 1 WTC cooking vent

Conde Nast spent millions when it hired Frank Gehry to design its cafeteria in its current headquarters at 4 Times Square -- but the big bucks spent on its upcoming move to 1 World Trade Center will be used for something a little bit different.

The glitzy publishing giant is spending up to $1 million for a huge ventilation shaft that will poke through the façade of the north face of the glass tower at 1 WTC so that the Condé Nast cafeteria can have its own exhaust outlet, rather than tie in to the central flue used by the rest of the tenants that will run up the center of the building.

It was said to be the source of contentious negotiations between the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and the publishing empire headed by the billionaire Chairman S.I. Newhouse, Jr.

At one point, Newhouse and Chief Operating Officer John Bellando, who was handling the negotiations, threatened to walk away from the project.

The reason for the rhubarb was that the city building codes had been tightened up and would require far more inspections and cleaning of the venting system to prevent a fire hazard. A vent running straight to the outside would not have the same costly requirements.

The new Condé cafeteria is expected to take up at least half a floor in the new building and may also house test kitchens for Bon Appétit and the Gourmet Cookbook. The press was given a preview of the still-active construction site at the signing ceremony last month. The southerly view will overlook the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial and command striking views of New York harbor and the Statue of Liberty.

Originally, Condé Nast wanted to blast through the shortest distance and out the southern wall, which some sources felt would have marred the aesthetics of the sheer glass façade overlooking the memorial.

The vent will be huge, about one story high and up to 25 feet wide, and would be visible from the ground. Sources said that originally PA Executive Director Chris Ward was going to nix the special exhaust vent, but eventually agreed to let Condé Nast have a special vent. However, it had to be on the north side, which will point toward Midtown.

"There was quite a bit of back and forth," said one insider.

Last month, Condé signed a $1.9 billion, 25-year lease for 1 million square feet to house over 3,000 employees. The Durst Organization, which owns the present Condé Nast headquarters building in Times Square, also bought a 10 percent stake in 1 WTC and pres sured the PA to bow to Condé's demands.

Ward low-keyed the be hind-the-scenes debate but acknowledged, "In order to accommodate them, we altered the ventilation system." Asked for the cost, he estimated "a couple of hundred thousand, maybe a million. It was all handled in the lease."

The design of the panel was open to debate. Originally, the plan was to just poke through and cover it with an unsightly metal grate. "It would have looked like something that you picked up at Home Depot," grumbled one source.

Now, the new system will have glass panels specially cut to allow air to pass through to louvers connected to a vent in back of the glass.

But one source said that now that the PA has caved in to one tenant's demands, the worry is that other future tenants will start demanding similar concessions. The Chinese trade group that was the first tenant has so far expressed no problem with connection to the central flue system.

"Hopefully, it won't evolve into multiple acne spots all over the building's façade," said one insider.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1OtV3Lk6k

Last edited by 599GTO; Jun 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Here's what the NYTimes had to say about this alteration on May 17th when news broke about Conde Nast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
May 17, 2011
NY Times

Condé Nast Will Be Anchor of 1 World Trade Center

By CHARLES V. BAGLI

The new cafeteria has yet to be designed, but it was an issue during lease negotiations, because no one wanted greasy louvers spewing kitchen exhaust from the exterior of ground zero’s signature tower. Architects were brought in to address the problem, ultimately by setting the louvers back behind the curtain wall so they would not be visible from the outside.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/ny...r.html?_r=1&hp
This definitely concerns me Even though it will only be visible from the north side which obscures the view, it's going to look awful on windy, winter days.

Last edited by Don098; Jun 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:19 PM

NY never ceases to amaze me on how it really no longer cares about aesthetics in architecture....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:44 PM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Do we know what floor the vent is meant to be on? If it is low enough, it might be obscured by 7WTC.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:17 PM
Twin Towers crusader

This is horrible! It'll look like as if 1WTC was smoking a cigarette
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive