HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 3:40 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
...I say this because Simons apparently has had to adjust their clothing for Edmonton where they are less fashion forward and larger than Quebec people...
Do you have a real source for that??? I only ask because I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine recently who is the design head for a Montreal based fashion manufacturing/retailer - namely do they target product differently for different markets. After she stopped laughing incessantly about how it would be impossible to manufacture for different markets (the price associated with the SCM alone would kill it) she also indicated that their "brand" is their IP and they would never change their IP for any market, they'd rather pull out. Seeing as Edmonton is at best 4% of the overall Canadian market I can't believe that anyone would do this.

Also, according to StatsCanada, Albertans have the same BMI/obesity rates as Ontarians. So if Simons is maker larger clothes, it would be for those fatties in Ontario who would make up a market 4 times larger than the fatties in Alberta.

Sorry, but unless you can back this up with a statement from Simons on this, I'm calling BS on your claim!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 3:51 PM
I am a typical

I heard that when they play The National in Alberta, they add more explosions and naked chicks because Albertans don't pay attention to the TV otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 4:33 PM
Beer me Captain

Really!?!?!? I gotta start watching me dat der National!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 5:06 PM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Do you have a real source for that??? I only ask because I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine recently who is the design head for a Montreal based fashion manufacturing/retailer - namely do they target product differently for different markets. After she stopped laughing incessantly about how it would be impossible to manufacture for different markets (the price associated with the SCM alone would kill it) she also indicated that their "brand" is their IP and they would never change their IP for any market, they'd rather pull out. Seeing as Edmonton is at best 4% of the overall Canadian market I can't believe that anyone would do this.

Also, according to StatsCanada, Albertans have the same BMI/obesity rates as Ontarians. So if Simons is maker larger clothes, it would be for those fatties in Ontario who would make up a market 4 times larger than the fatties in Alberta.

Sorry, but unless you can back this up with a statement from Simons on this, I'm calling BS on your claim!!

From an earlier news article:

"Mr. Simons is making small adjustments for his Edmonton store. It will carry about 10 to 18 per cent more large and extra-large sizes, and that amount fewer small and extra small sizes, after his research found those differences between the Edmonton and Quebec markets."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4778740/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 5:16 PM

So they are not adjusting their sizes, just carrying more of the larger sizes to fit the market, which makes sense.

I imagine (or hope) they are also carrying a bit less of the "Euro-twink" styles that I've seen at the downtown Montreal store. Some of that stuff would be seen as rather outré in Canada outside Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 5:35 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
..."Mr. Simons is making small adjustments for his Edmonton store. It will carry about 10 to 18 per cent more large and extra-large sizes, and that amount fewer small and extra small sizes, after his research found those differences between the Edmonton and Quebec markets."...
Inventory management is completely different than "adjust their clothing for Edmonton where they are less fashion forward and larger than Quebec people" which is what Mike said. They are NOT changing design or manufacturing, just inventory management. And BTW, where does Mr Simon say that people in E-town are less fashion forward?? Or was that just creative license by the author of the post??

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:34 PM

already posted above

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Inventory management is completely different than "adjust their clothing for Edmonton where they are less fashion forward and larger than Quebec people" which is what Mike said. They are NOT changing design or manufacturing, just inventory management. And BTW, where does Mr Simon say that people in E-town are less fashion forward?? Or was that just creative license by the author of the post??
I think they also said they were bringing in more of their rugged clothing items than the funky stuff you see in Quebec.

I never said they made a whole different clothing line. Just they are adjusting the assortment.

Sorry, but you gotta admit. Edmonton is no fashion mecca like Toronto or Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 12:59 AM
I am a typical

Oh, I get it! You're using a store's merchandise assortment to insult a city of 1.3 million people based on their clothing preferences! OK!

They should have stocked the exact same clothing as the Quebec stores, seeing as how Quebec culture and Alberta culture are 100% identical!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Oh, I get it! You're using a store's merchandise assortment to insult a city of 1.3 million people based on their clothing preferences! OK!

They should have stocked the exact same clothing as the Quebec stores, seeing as how Quebec culture and Alberta culture are 100% identical!
No. I am just saying that when a store like that becomes national, it is going to lose some of its uniqueness and coolness as it adapts to other areas.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:12 AM
I am a typical

Right, because there is nothing unique or cool about Alberta, and if there was, Simons certainly isn't the company to find and take advantage of it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:35 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This will be a great addition to the foody landscape in Edmonton. I know the ones in Montreal and Ottawa are doing brisk business.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:20 AM

LOL Mike.

Actually, I think I read somewhere (C2E?) that Simons found Edmonton more fashion forward than people give credit for and that was part of what enticed them about expanding into the Edmonton market (vs Calgary or Vancouver or Winnipeg).

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but they did their research and found Edmonton to be a viable market. No, Edmonton is not Quebec City, but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate fashion at all here. Clearly the store is successful thus far.

People like to scoff at Alberta at any chance they can get. Chalk it up to Eastern smugness (sorry, Central Canadian). There is lots of cool stuff about Quebec and Ontario, I'm willing to concede, I don't get why it's so hard to reciprocate. Recently, I've had to deal with whiney ex-Torontonians complain that our bus system isn't exactly like Toronto's in terms of frequency and expansiveness. Give me a fucking break. At least we don't use tokens.

I love Toronto, Montreal, etc as much as any Ontarian or Quebecois, but the Windsor-Quebec corridor isn't the only place deserving of nice things in this country.

Edit: And fashion meccas? Toronto and Montreal are pretty fashion forward, but I wouldn't exactly call them fashion meccas like New York, LA, London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, and Hong Kong are.

Last edited by ue; Dec 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:29 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
People like to scoff at Alberta at any chance they can get. Chalk it up to Eastern smugness (sorry, Central Canadian).
No, that's just our Mike. Our sweet ol' mike. 2 guys from east of the Manitoba border came to Edmonton's defense, by the way ( I read Molson's response that way.. an olive bar in Edmonton? zomg! )

"Inventory management" sounds pretty lame and euphemistic. an almost passive aggressive knee-jerk reaction by Simons. It reeks of damage control - much like McDonald's putting out a press release about how tasty and "fun" the McRib was after that image of a compressed pork snowmobile tread started to circulate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
No, that's just our Mike. Our sweet ol' mike. 2 guys from east of the Manitoba border came to Edmonton's defense, by the way ( I read Molson's response that way.. an olive bar in Edmonton? zomg! )

"Inventory management" sounds pretty lame and euphemistic. an almost passive aggressive knee-jerk reaction by Simons. It reeks of damage control - much like McDonald's putting out a press release about how tasty and "fun" the McRib was after that image of a compressed pork snowmobile tread started to circulate.
Yeah, if I was Simons I wouldn't have said that publicly. Even if it was true.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
That's also what I thought until I had to work in Quebec City. But no, this is not the case. It's just another myth. Outside Montreal and Toronto, the fashion style of most canadians is pretty much the same everywhere: outdoorsy, comfortable and low.
Can't agree. People in Quebec City certainly don't dress like those in Winnipeg or Hamilton. Or even Ottawa really.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:32 PM

There is no other city in Canada that is more of a fashion mecca than Montreal! It is far above any other Canadian city in terms of having the most fashionable residents, and their shopping is the best as far as I'm concerned as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
There is no other city in Canada that is more of a fashion mecca than Montreal! It is far above any other Canadian city in terms of having the most fashionable residents, and their shopping is the best as far as I'm concerned as well.
Totally agree, but this is bound to provoke some reactions on here!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Simons was never considered a high end store like Nordstroms. If anything it is known for bringing affordable fashion to the masses. Yes some stores do have high end designer names, but overall Simons is all about their house brand which is what makes it unique. I never buy anything at Simons but their house brand, because the other names you can get anywhere.
But Simons' house brand stuff is truly unique, and I always get asked where I get my nice clothing from when I wear Simons clothes. My American co-workers especially find Simons clothing interesting, and always ask where my clothes are from.

I do fear however that as Simons expands to the rest of Canada, they are going to lose some of their cutting edge unique designs. I say this because Simons apparently has had to adjust their clothing for Edmonton where they are less fashion forward and larger than Quebec people. That to me would be boring to have a dumbed down Simons.
Your post about Simons in-house brands reminded me of how people in Quebec are not as big on brand names as people in the rest of Canada or the States. People in Quebec are much more about what a garment looks like than whether it is brand X, Y or Z.

In many cases this does lead them to buy cheap stuff that doesn't last long but they don't seem to care.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada