HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 9:56 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
No, it says that it could be. If the current developer couldn't make the numbers work with the denial of tax credits, it seems pretty unlikely that another developer would be willing to take up the project. Maybe there's another use of the building that would qualify for tax credits, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen with it anytime soon. If they can't make a deal work for a hotel two blocks from the Alamo, I'm not optimistic there'll be a developer willing to take this on (Weston Urban and Greystreet, our two downtown messiahs, have pretty full plates right now). Now, in a year or two when things get rolling with the Frost tower and the Kress redevelopment, things may look different.

Well, I say some developer will quickly snatch that building up and develop it.
The article says that the building had inquiries from numerous developers out of town and surrounding areas. It will happen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post

Yes, it sure does!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:33 PM

In re: to low attendance to UTSA games. Here is my take on it.
I think the reason there is low attendance at the Runners games has to be the media. Sure there are many Longhorn, Aggie, and Cowboys (ugh) fans but the media does not help. The Runners games always get little coverage. The Runners were all over the front page, sports sectpm, TV when they played their first game but it seems like they disappeared into oblivion after that. Recently there were results of bunch of high school and colleges games but the Runners got one picture buried in the last pages and no results but to go on-line for info.

I think the TV sportscaster have done more harm by getting all excited over a team some 300 miles away than for the team here in SA. They have played big college teams like Arizona, Arizona State, OK State, etc. but instead of spending time and encouraging the people from SA to go support the Runners, they go all ga-ga over teams that have no SA connection. I say "SHAME" on the San Antonio media for not supporting the local college. The runners will be playing the Aggies soon but I bet the sportscaster will spending more time covering the Aggies than the Runners.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:45 PM

If the Alamodome gets a make-over, I hope they add more brightness to it. Especially the four pillars holding the roof. Surely they could make them stand out more. I'm not talking about florescent pink but something that will make it stand out. Likewise the inside. The cement color at the four ends of the inside make it look cheap. Adorn it with marble tile or even some frescos or tile with a bit of San Antonio history.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:02 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Alamo redevelopment plan includes shutting down traffic, creating museum, visitor center
By Myra Arthur - Anchor/Reporter
www.ksat.com
Posted: 6:55 PM, November 30, 2016
Updated: 7:07 PM, November 30, 2016
http://www.ksat.com/news/alamo-redev...isitors-center

Quote:
In the works for seven months now, the plan also includes shutting down traffic on Alamo Street from Houston Street to Market Street and on Crockett Street from the Menger Hotel to Losoya Street.

The project would create a more structured entrance for Alamo visitors.

"We need to create some logic and order," said George Skarmeas with PDP. "People get in and out from all different directions. They have no sense of place. They come in from the north, the west (and) the south."

Moving the Cenotaph several blocks south of the Alamo is also part of the plan.
The Cenotaph marks the site where the remains of defenders of the Alamo were burned.
The project also aims to restore and preserve the nearly 300-year-old building.
"Simply put, the building is deteriorating before our very eyes," Skarmeas said.
One modern-day accommodation challenging the Alamo's structure: air conditioning.
Skarmeas said it’s forcing moisture through the building in a pattern that would not naturally occur.
It's just one of the challenges facing the preservation of the building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:42 PM
James

I saw this. This sounds amazing on paper.

But i can see some people obsessed with traditions of the tree lighting and battle of flowers not liking this at all.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

But i can see some people obsessed with traditions of the tree lighting and battle of flowers not liking this at all.
They'll just HAVE to get over the traditions. The "traditions" will go on as usual at other locations.
The history of the Alamo must be preserved and respected.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:53 PM

Sounds fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

Not sure why the Cenotaph needs to move though. Especially as far as several blocks away.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 PM

I like almost everything about their plans. Too bad about all the ceremonies and celebrations that happen there, but I guess Main Plaza will suffice for most things, although it will probably have to be re-landscaped. Love the idea of turning the gardens into a public park.

The cenotaph is a big phallic symbol of white supremacy right in the middle of the plaza, which does not accurately portray any part of the Alamo's story, not even the battle. It's an embarrassment to historians. I can fully understand moving it far away.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 7:51 PM

The cenotaph is a big phallic symbol of white supremacy right in the middle of the plaza, which does not accurately portray any part of the Alamo's story, not even the battle. It's an embarrassment to historians. I can fully understand moving it far away.
Spoiler

The Cenotaph is pretty much a grave marker, nothing more, nothing less. If you see a penis or the KKK, then you're doing it wrong.

That said, if it has to move, San Fernando Cathedral area would be nice, as that's supposedly where the remains are held.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Spoiler

The Cenotaph is pretty much a grave marker, nothing more, nothing less. If you see a penis or the KKK, then you're doing it wrong.
Potato/potahto. But it's not a grave marker, it's an “empty tomb” commemorating the sacrifice of war dead buried elsewhere. And it happens to be sixty feet tall.

Here's an article about the cenotaph that's interesting.
http://www.expressnews.com/150years/...te-6284377.php

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 8:42 AM

Already read that article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Potato/potahto. But it's not a grave marker, it's an “empty tomb” commemorating the sacrifice of war dead buried elsewhere. And it happens to be sixty feet tall.

Already read that article, and it in no way provides evidence of your assertions.

That said, the 802' structure would have been nice.

What are your erudite thoughts on the San Jacinto Monument?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

BTW, I said "pretty much", as that is supposedly where the bodied were burned. I'm sure you just missed that, but like you said, tomato, tomahto.

Last edited by Restless 1; Dec 4, 2016 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
BTW, I said "pretty much", as that is supposedly where the bodied were burned. I'm sure you just missed that, but like you said, tomato, tomahto.
Actually, I said potato/potahto.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 8:40 PM

I was just wondering, has the Lotus Urban Homes on S. Presa been built or are they still going to get built? I haven't been back in SA to see about this.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
I was just wondering, has the Lotus Urban Homes on S. Presa been built or are they still going to get built? I haven't been back in SA to see about this.
The site is being prepped.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 12:22 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Downtown apartment complex begins construction in February
By Richard Webner
www.expressnews.com
December 23, 2016
http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...photo-12090512

Quote:
The five-story, 338-unit complex will occupy the entire city block at the northwest corner of Main Avenue and Oil Guilbeau Street, just north of King William and two blocks west of the River Walk, said Brad Miller, president of Encore Multi-Family. It will be priced at the top end of the market, with rents of about $2 a square foot, he said.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:40 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

From that article (intriguing):

Quote:
More developments are likely coming to the neighborhood, though. A $120 million new federal courthouse is being planned for an empty lot at the corner of Nueva Street and Santa Rosa Avenue. The city and county are looking for developers willing to build on more than 7 acres of land they own a few blocks to the north; one development team has submitted plans to build multifamily, offices, retail and a 15-story hotel on the properties.
I assume they're talking about the site of the old City Hall Annex building that's parking/a vacant lot right now between Dolorosa and Nueva and the old County jail/parking lot on Laredo that's being demolished soon.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:45 PM

Site prep has begun for the new townhomes on Guadalupe next to San Pedro Creek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio