Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
only one "problem..."

www.researchgate.net
I get it, it's in a Mediterranean climate which is pretty temperate all year long. Still doesn't justify such a high cost over a massive area. I could understand isolated areas like SF, LA, San Diego, Seattle and so on as these are ideal climates and strong and vibrant economies. SF and SV are expensive because there are tons of high paying jobs to drive up costs. I was approached for a job in Menlo Park that paid 3x what I got here.

New York, DC, Boston, South Florida, etc. have some of the shittiest climates in the US and they are god awful expensive. Like California, it's the human component rather than the natural that has driven up costs so much.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Corners View Post
Haven’t you heard? They survey every person who has left the state and 100% of people have said it is cost of living and the state of politics. Yeah. Not one said “job transfer” or “family reasons” or anything like that. Not one. Even the children cited the outrageous taxes on candy and politicians more interested in serving Wall Street than Sesame Street.
Lol.
No, Obadno knows hundreds of thousands of people. He's popular.

When I think of people desperate to move, I think of Somalia or something.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
There's no sales tax on candy in California.

Here you go:
I was shocked when I found out that many "business friendly" states tax groceries and social security while they maintain low corporate tax rates. Talk about ass backwards, putting the tax burden on those least able to afford it...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:14 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Hey, it looks like there's a living human being left in Chicago! But how?

How did you survive the swarms of flying bullets in the parking lot at Costco? The sniper fire at the birthday party? The submarines firing at beach-goers when it gets really humid? You must, I imagine, have been targeted by at least one armed gang for entrenched gunfire and woke politics? That's how it works, I know. I watch Fox Nooz. #Troof

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Ironically, what Obadno may be cheering - Californians flooding to Texas - maybe the death knell of the current iteration of the R party. Once Texas becomes solidly blue next decade the path to any sort of R victory at the national level becomes almost impossible.
According to the last senate vote, native Texans are more Democratic than those that have moved into Texas. Texas may be becoming more blue but people are lazily giving the transplants credit for this.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:47 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Don't worry about those fools. People who cheer for the destruction of California to "own the libs" are largely morons who couldn't even spell California. Also, as more people flee CA to other states, the better the odds are of those recipient states becoming blue. See Arizona and Nevada for evidence of this in action.

I will admit that I really hate the political crap I constantly read about coming out of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and of course Alabama. I can't understand why people would want to live in states with such hateful and backwards political climates. But I would never, ever wish harm or damage to those states. When hurricanes or tornadoes strike those places, I've never considered withholding donations just because their politicians and the majority of the state's population has political views radically different than my own. It's sick to see the other side be so hateful towards California, but not surprising. Just remember, the vast majority of people aren't on those extremes, and try to filter out that shit as best you can. Don't let it get to you.

For the sake of just continuing the political conversation to a minimal extent, is it actually a good thing that people from bluer states are moving to the redder Southern states? Even if California, New York, Illinois, and a few other “liberal states are in the top ten most populated in the country, the national representation still steers in favor for red states, especially for the Senate where it doesn’t matter how big your state is, what mainly matters is how many states share similar views to your own state.

Many of these liberal states are already safely blue as can be and if people in these states want the rest of the nation to follow their way, why not move to a red state or at least a swing state that’s cheaper and participate in government there in order for the “good” policies of the blue states to be disseminated to the rest of the country? You guys don’t necessarily have to move to Mississippi Alabama (although that would do it eventually).

Keep coming to Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, Arizona, Nevada, and any other state with a large population and a chance to be blue, or at least a balanced purple. I know California is the best, but the US is still big enough for you progressive folks. As long as everything is centralized in this country, not even secession will save you with hostile neighbors still in the outskirts

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
According to the last senate vote, native Texans are more Democratic than those that have moved into Texas. Texas may be becoming more blue but people are lazily giving the transplants credit for this.
I don't know about that. Most native Texans I know around me tend to lean right where as transplants tend to be more moderate or lean left. The Democratic leaning native Texans are a relic of a bygone era...the ones who put Mark White and Ann Richards into office decades ago. In fact, the few moderate/ left leaning native Texans I do know of are in their late 60's and above. People my age are pretty conservative. My wife's family are all native Texan and while they are not super conservative, they are reliable Republican and here I come along from NY with a Beto sticker on my car...

As for Californians in Texas...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I don't know about that. Most native Texans I know around me tend to lean right where as transplants tend to be more moderate or lean left. The Democratic leaning native Texans are a relic of a bygone era...the ones who put Mark White and Ann Richards into office decades ago. In fact, the few moderate/ left leaning native Texans I do know of are in their late 60's and above. People my age are pretty conservative. My wife's family are all native Texan and while they are not super conservative, they are reliable Republican and here I come along from NY with a Beto sticker on my car...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...it-poll-shows/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...orn-texas-did/

Last edited by Cory; Nov 5, 2019 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post

LOL. Payback. When Texas actively pays CA companies to relocate to Texas, you can only complain so much when Californians also come to fill those jobs. That’s a fair trade-off.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Less about native Texans or transplants and more from incoming immigrants and the growing population of liberal cities (Houston, Austin etc), that will make Texas blue (and create national democratic hegemony).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Ironically, what Obadno may be cheering - Californians flooding to Texas - maybe the death knell of the current iteration of the R party. Once Texas becomes solidly blue next decade the path to any sort of R victory at the national level becomes almost impossible.
A purple Texas of 50+ million (apparently that's the forecasts) would be the ultimate swing state. National politicians wouldn't need to campaign anywhere but there.

The Future Presidential Candidates' Map of the United States:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
What? Who dreams of going to Texas or Arizona?
Or Georgia? I've never of anything like that in my life.

Sure, buddy. California and NYC are dead. Ok. To think people stil don't dream about entertainment, tech and Wall Street/Fashion careers but Arizona, Texas and Florida (or whatever) instead....I mean...go for it.
I might be late responding to this post but I think everyone needs to sit back and be considerate of other's opinions.

I know two people from my gf's small town who moved to LA. One is a small time actor and the other is a white rapper lol. They most certainly dreamed of California in the most stereotypical way possible. They both have been there since 2009 though, so something is going good for them.

Now, who dreams of moving to Texas? Plenty of people. Some people actually like the state. I am one of them. Sure, for an urbanist I am not thrilled with the state. But I get a certain feeling in the state I get in no other place. It's probably because I am a conservative/libertarian...I don't know. But if thats the case, that means there are 50% of Americans who feel the same way I do.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
As long as California has fantastic weather and scenery, the best public university system on the planet, and remains the innovation center of the planet and the gateway to the Pacific Rim, it will remain extremely desirable.
Extremely desirable for those who can afford it...which is becoming fewer people every year it seems.

I know on this site we assume everyone is upper-middle-class(or some 'marginalized POC'), go on vacations every year, and view having access to non-stop flights around the world as a priority. That's not most people. Wasn't there a study that came out showing most Americans couldn't afford a 400 dollar emergency?

Yeah, California isn't desirable for those people. I desire an 80th floor condo overlooking Central Park....but reality hits.

Last edited by jtown,man; Nov 5, 2019 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. They deserve what they get, tbh.
They think their culture war has no consquences. Sorry, but it does. Their ugliness won't be forgotten.
This isn't a current events thread...but how small is your bubble?

I have literally HUNDREDS of saved facebook/instagram new stories of liberals either using violence, being horrible, race hoax crimes etc etc.

I fully know that liberals could produce the same crap(different, but same...if ya get me) showing conservatives being horrible people. The difference? I know both have shitty people. You believe you "side" is better than the other. That's an issue.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:07 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Over 300 on facebook alone. Sure, some are just funny memes or not political but most are. I probably have 15 examples of people getting beat up for MAGA hats. And that's not even the issue, the comments are. Liberals agree with this. I just reread an NYT article from when the 5 Dallas PD officers were killed a few years ago. Find that one and read the comments. The first 30 or so comments agree with the killings. One guy(who was black) said he noticed black people stood taller the next day on the street because of this "martyr."

People really think insanity is only an issue with "them." No, its everywhere. I don't save articles showing conservatives as nuts. Why? My best friend, who is a raging liberal, does that for me lol

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
This isn't a current events thread...but how small is your bubble?

I have literally HUNDREDS of saved facebook/instagram new stories of liberals either using violence, being horrible, race hoax crimes etc etc.

I fully know that liberals could produce the same crap(different, but same...if ya get me) showing conservatives being horrible people. The difference? I know both have shitty people. You believe you "side" is better than the other. That's an issue.
Are you kidding?
This whole thing started because obadno
(Like trillions of others conservatives)
Think their way is better .

I try to stay out of the political nonsense but
I saw enough wildfire cheering, and just got fed up with it.
Sad too.

I don't see Californians going on social media
And rooting for hurricanes and saying it's God's plan
To destroy you and all other kinds of crap.

There are many red States doing just horrible in every way possible but I don't see liberals going out of their way to talk crap.
So why do conservatives? What is this pressing need?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding?
This whole thing started because obadno
(Like trillions of others conservatives)
Think their way is better .

I try to stay out of the political nonsense but

I saw enough wildfire cheering, and it's just
Predictable at this point.
Sad too.

I don't see Californians going on social media
And rooting for hurricanes and saying it's God's plan
To destroy you and all other kinds of crap.
Dude, at the end of the day what percentage of conservatives do you think are cheering wildfires? Twitter and facebook etc. brings out the worst in humans. Gotta keep things in perspective. I've seen "cheering" about the hurricane hitting Texas last year. Whatever. There is always going to be some insane people. Or people that just say stupid shit on the internet because yeah, their immature.

Of course you don't see that, your bias is blinding you. How many Christians are out there praying that California is destroyed by God's plan? Really? lol

If there was a huge fire in Alabama how many liberals would say insane things about it? The majority? Absolutely not. But enough to get some traction on Twitter.

You're creating a strawman on this forum that doesn't exist here. No one on SSP wants California to be destroyed by anything. We might want it to succeed, but no harm to anyone, so I don't see how a select few people are being figured into this conversation so prominently.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Except that maybe the people flooding out of California to Texas and other states are mostly CA Republicans fed up with the solid Democrat state its become? I'm politically independent, leaning Dem., but most of the people I know who've left Cali have been people who think the state has become not only too expensive and too high tax, but also too blue liberal. CA used to regularly elect Republican politicians--Reagan, Wilson, Schwartzneggar etc. No more. The Republicans seem to have left for the red states. Even Orange County, once a Republican stronghold, now votes Democrat. Many of the people coming into CA seem to be foreign immigrants who usually vote Democrat and poor people from other states who come to CA for the generous social safety net, including free medical care. Rich leave CA because of the high taxes. So paradoxically, ex Californians, mostly Republican, may make their new states more RED Republican???

But the main reason people leave is economics, not traffic, or environment, or politics. Coastal CA has become essentially unaffordable for those making less than $75,000 a year, especially if they want to buy a house or condo and save for reteirement. All the rest is secondary. My parents bought a big house in the San Fernando Valley for $25,000 in 1971 on a combined salary of $15,000. Today that same house sells for over $1 million, more than 10 times the average annual income. Housing prices have simply increased far more than average incomes. It is almost impossible for a middle class person to live well in CA, unless you were fortunate enough to inherit a house from your parents, or inherit a large nest egg.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 5, 2019 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:17 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
What a totally normal, not-psycho thing to do!

Your comment totally belongs in "City Discussions!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions