HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 7:44 PM

Neo Art Deco 60-70-80 stories tall?

Hello all I'm new too the forum here. I'm wondering for a personal project how possible is the creation of a neo-art deco skyscraper nowadays according to the idea of the cost of the builders, the masonery work since its to be built of stone, engineering restrictions , building codes of the los angeles and other major cities, etc. I am a great fan of the art deco skyscrapers of the past and wish to be a architect but my math is not the stuff of dreams my greatest skills are really just the design of the structure itself I will try to submit drawings if i can soon but before I do I hope this is the right place to put this. thanks all!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:23 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

AH!

A man after my own heart with love of the grand glorious Art Deco kings!
A warm welcome then from this Curmudgeon to the forum.

Now then an answere to your question main question. There IS out there an insidious, ever growing diseases out there called "BCB" syndrome. AKA, Bleeding Cheap Bastards!

Truth be told kid, there is nothing keeping a firm from building another 40 Wall Street or even another ESB, except bloody cheap people! The Art, style and detail of an Art Deco masterpiece seem to have no room in todays world of thin skeletal glass boxes.
In terms of building one, with modern materials, the structure would be amazingly solid. But there is no love for such art these days. Such detail takes time and money, and no one seems to have much to spare. Of course you are also up against bastards who think that a building that looks like a melted blob is considered "High Art".

Now then, don't let all THAT harden your heart kid. We NEED dreamers like you out there, we can't all be Curmudgeons after all. So I Deeply hope to see more from you, post your all you want, let your mind and heart go boy and draw and doodle We could use more art, even if it is never built.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:15 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The reason new art deco towers are so rare is mostly aescthetic preference, followed by cost. It is not an engineering issue for the structure.

Indeed, there are neo-deco towers popping up here and there.

The Pinnaccle, Guangzhou:

Pingan IFC also looks like what a deco tower would look like if the style had continued developing.

In that vein, Tour Verre is inspired by the setback zoning that created the classic deco form.

What's hard to tell from the external view is if these new towers have the ornate internal decorations that the classic deco towers have.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:56 AM

There hasn't been any new Art Deco buildings built in the United States since 1950. So it hasn't happened for 62 years. It's going to be hard to build or design a new Art Deco building because it hasn't been used for such a long time. It's a lot like building and designing traditional buildings. It will not be 100% accurate and it might not look the way you want it to look.

We might see buildings in the style of Art Deco, but they might only be steel, concrete, and glass. It won't be the old stone and glass. However I will not say there isn't an 100% chance of it not happening since the Metropolitan Life North Building is still waiting for someone to bring her back from her dormancy.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 2:13 AM

lovely tower imo. i love the style(a big fan) and am one that wishes it would make a moderate comeback. only if such towers where tasteful such as this one though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There hasn't been any new Art Deco buildings built in the United States since 1950. So it hasn't happened for 62 years.
This is absolutely untrue. Right off the top of my head, there's the Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis. Built in 1988, at 57 stories.

Source: www.hines.com

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:17 AM

These were proposed but canceled in Downtown LA a few years back.

(Photo credit: http://www.robertsonpartners.net/)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

OH! That is lovely!
I followed the image back to the companies website and they have quite a few Concepts drawn up, not sure what to make of all them, but many are simply lovely, the design company seems to go out of its way to try and create historical architecture, which simply warms my heart, BRAVO!
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 9:25 PM

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies and the pictures one that defiantly struck me was the wells fargo center and those two towers and the other which I assume is being constructed in asia. its nice that the style can be brought back. I have made some drawings will try to post once my scanner is brought back from death I do realize the setback design is hard to do when poeple nowadays want space then style anyone knows how much those buildings cost to build ballpark figures if possible will try to keep in touch thanks all especially the first poster! p:s i checked the website for robertsons and those concepts struck me the same idea I'm going for hope they actually build one atleastly!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 12:03 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDecorium View Post
Thank you all for the replies and the pictures one that defiantly struck me was the wells fargo center and those two towers and the other which I assume is being constructed in asia. its nice that the style can be brought back. I have made some drawings will try to post once my scanner is brought back from death I do realize the setback design is hard to do when poeple nowadays want space then style anyone knows how much those buildings cost to build ballpark figures if possible will try to keep in touch thanks all especially the first poster! p:s i checked the website for robertsons and those concepts struck me the same idea I'm going for hope they actually build one atleastly!
I do indeed look forward to seeing your sketches, as well as many others here. Art Deco is a sorely missed art, so seeing some new kid taking up the mantle is a wonderful thing.

Back in my youth I even did some Art Deco designs of my own that I might enjoy to see your thoughts on.

So again, welcome aboard, and good to have you.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 4:09 PM

What was that building that was planned for Houston in the mid-80s, but never built? Clones were built in Chicago and Philadelphia - it was contemporary Deco.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:33 PM

I think the building that would have looked Art Deco and would have had been a good replacement for the loss of the Singer Building would have been South Ferry Plaza. Proposed in the 1990's. It was cancelled for financial reasons. Very sad and disappointing.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149328

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ferry_Plaza

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:19 PM

None of these examples are Neo Art Deco. Most are postmodern designs vaguely inspired by certain elements of Art Deco. Even that design in LA is a rehash of Neoclassicism, not Art Deco.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post
This is absolutely untrue. Right off the top of my head, there's the Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis. Built in 1988, at 57 stories.
Also Bell Atlantic Tower (aka Verizon Tower) in Philly. Built in 1991, 55 stories.

Also, One Liberty Place and Two Liberty Place could be considered to be a contemporary take on deco. Apparently Helmut Jahn used the Chrysler building as a reference when designing One Liberty Place.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:10 PM
International

I am surprised that has no been mention of the NBC Tower in Chicago!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/setholiver1/6659725849/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
None of these examples are Neo Art Deco. Most are postmodern designs vaguely inspired by certain elements of Art Deco. Even that design in LA is a rehash of Neoclassicism, not Art Deco.
I agree that the LA design does look more like Neoclassicism than Art Deco. That said, I don't know how you can call the Wells Fargo Center "vaguely inspired by" Art Deco. It has more in common aesthetically with Art Deco than postmodernism.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
These were proposed but canceled in Downtown LA a few years back.

(Photo credit: http://www.robertsonpartners.net/)
What a shame, these are beautiful. However, they are more neo Beaux Arts than neo deco.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:56 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
What a shame, these are beautiful. However, they are more neo Beaux Arts than neo deco.
Very true, very impressive all the same.
It is good to see other examples of Art Deco that HAVE been made in recent time, I am not sure if there are others on the drawing table.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:44 PM

One and Two Liberty Plaza (Phila.) are derivatives of the never-built Jahn tower in Houston from the mid-80s. There's another one in Chicago that's a lot like them and they are all derived from the Chrysler bldg.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 10:19 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Speaking of One and Two Liberty from Philly, what about BNY Mellon Center in Philadelphia, built in 1990, 53-stories tall? That, to me, screams art-deco. Its base looks like something you'd see erected in the 1930s, especially with the setbacks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering