HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Hotel Indigo/Holiday Inn Express in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 10:49 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a groundbreaking design on this one. It's a Holiday Inn Express after all. Here's what they put up in Dubai.

http://www.dubaishortstay.com/blog/d...tels-in-dubai/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:36 AM

I believe there will be two hotels, a Holiday Inn Express and a Hotel Indigo built together at this one location with a total of 298 rooms.

Quote:
Holiday Inn Express, East Ninth and Red River streets, 164 rooms, March 2015

Hotel Indigo, East Ninth and Red River streets, 134 rooms, March 2015
http://skift.com/2013/10/06/austins-...st-in-the-u-s/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a groundbreaking design on this one. It's a Holiday Inn Express after all. Here's what they put up in Dubai.

http://www.dubaishortstay.com/blog/d...tels-in-dubai/
http://www.roomstays.com/hotel/977738 is an example of a hotel indigo. I agree that this will probably be a combo and will be far more urban than the dubai pic, however who knows on the actual architecture. The indigo hotel I posted in Nashville isn't bad though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Expert View Post
I believe there will be two hotels, a Holiday Inn Express and a Hotel Indigo built together at this one location with a total of 298 rooms.

http://skift.com/2013/10/06/austins-...st-in-the-u-s/
I'm really confused now. Most of the other articles or documents I've read indicate an eight story building with parking on the first three levels and the rooms on the top 5 floors. I just don't see how they're going to squeeze 298 rooms into 5 floors on a lot that size. That would be 60 rooms per floor.

When news of this project first surfaced back in April, it said one hotel with 180-200 rooms and it would be a $30 million project. The recent link posted by Austin Expert says

Quote:
A $52 million project that will have a 164-room Holiday Inn Express and a 134-room Hotel Indigo, a boutique brand, is due to start in December at Red River and East Ninth streets across from Stubb’s.
At first, I thought maybe when the project was initially announced back in April, it would have been a Holiday Inn Express, but now they decided to upgrade it to a Hotel Indigo (like the Marriott Marquis was upgraded to a J W Marriott.)

But the fact that the project cost estimate has gone from $30 million to $52 million does make it sound like two separate hotels.

But unless they're going to put all the parking underground and/or bought additional land in that block, I still don't see how they'll get 298 rooms in an eight-story building that only takes up half a city block.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:49 AM
Meh

I doubt they can do it with 8 floors. The Marriott at 4th & San Jacinto has two hotels within the building and 261 rooms. That one is 12 floors with all the parking under ground. So that's about 24 rooms per floor. Only half of the building has 12 floors, the other half has 11.

Assuming this hotel followed a similar format, it would need to be 13 to 14 floors to reach that number, and that's if they put all the parking under ground. If not, it could be 18 to 19 floors.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:10 AM

^^^ The Planning Commission recommended a zoning change to DMU CO which would limit the height to 120 feet, but if you watch the actual meeting online,

April 23, 2013 Planning Commission Meeting

the person representing the applicant also noted that the project was in a Capitol View Corridor and wouldn't even be able to go that high. Click on Item C8. The whole thing is just over 15 minutes. The applicant's presentation starts at about the 7:20 mark and at about the 8:10 mark he talks about the Capitol View Corridor.

I got the impression the project couldn't even be 12 floors let alone 13 or 14.

Based on that, I think the info in the article posted by Austin Expert is perhaps wrong. I could see it being a 164-room Holiday Inn Express or a 134-room Hotel Indigo, but not both, unless I'm missing something.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:34 AM

I think it will be a dual brand hotel. The City's emerging projects list which was updated on 09/30 lists this as a 309 room "Holiday Inn Mixed Use Project" of 10 stories with ground floor retail. It takes up a 1/2 block.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2013-10-01.pdf

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I think it will be a dual brand hotel. The City's emerging projects list which was updated on 09/30 lists this as a 309 room "Holiday Inn Mixed Use Project" of 10 stories with ground floor retail. It takes up a 1/2 block.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2013-10-01.pdf
Mixed use means multiple uses. Two hotels would be a single use, actually. This means hotel + retail.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Mixed use means multiple uses. Two hotels would be a single use, actually. This means hotel + retail.
One big DUH on mixed use. You took my post out of the context of this thread. The two hotels at this site that we have been discussing (Holiday Inn Express and Hotel Indigo) have a combined room count close to the 309 listed by the city's emerging project list. That's why I mentioned two hotels.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 8:07 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
One big DUH on mixed use. You took my post out of the context of this thread. The two hotels at this site that we have been discussing (Holiday Inn Express and Hotel Indigo) have a combined room count close to the 309 listed by the city's emerging project list. That's why I mentioned two hotels.
Uh, I wasn't... The comments internal logic and structure pointed toward you meaning that having two hotels was mixed use, so if that wasn't what you meant you needed to be more clear.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I followed the gist of his post quite easily.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Uh, I wasn't... The comments internal logic and structure pointed toward you meaning that having two hotels was mixed use, so if that wasn't what you meant you needed to be more clear.
Your post history is full of knee jerk corrections or attempts to prove people wrong without thinking things through. You even corrected someone in a Midland forum about a comma in the wrong place. JHC.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Your post history is full of knee jerk corrections or attempts to prove people wrong without thinking things through. You even corrected someone in a Midland forum about a comma in the wrong place. JHC.
Yes, yes it is.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes it is.
I still like you, though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes it is.
Great, we agree on something.

On another note, can we change the title of this thread to: IHG Hotel , 10 floors?

IHG is the parent company of Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn. (Having "Holiday Inn" in the title of the thread would be a MAJOR turnoff.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 4:49 AM
Meh

When did it end up being 10 floors?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
When did it end up being 10 floors?
...from the updated Emerging Projects link I posted above. It's C83.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 10:28 PM

...also, the attachment to this permit filing says 10 stories (with 294 rooms.)

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11003700

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:32 PM

Here's a PDF showing the site plan and many other details for this project: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=204299

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Here's a PDF showing the site plan and many other details for this project: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=204299
Reading that, it looks like they are trying to opt out of street level retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin