HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 9:57 PM
~Hook'em~

I don't know how anyone could say 6th is declining or dangerous unless they just moved to Austin in the past few years. And I'm pretty sure that is certanly not the case with any of the above posters. Y'all really don't remember in the 80's and 90's how much more dangerous it was? How people would actually take used needles (which could easily be found on the street just about anywhere back then) and go around stabbing random people hoping to spread AIDS. I remember hearing about shootings and such all the time on 6th when I was younger. Stories like the one Kevin posted were pretty common.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:29 AM
Meh

It is true that there are certain areas that you don't go at certain times, that's just smart. But it's also unacceptable. It's like giving up and giving away an area of the city for crime to happen there.

I've been listening to KLBJ's morning show recently (FM, not the AM crap), and Dale Dudley was talking about APD cracking down more on alcohol consumption and being under the influence of it in public. Dale was saying Art Acevedo (who he's friends with) has been cracking down on alcohol and that officers have been arresting more people even if they aren't legally over the limit. KVUE did a story on it where there was a woman who was arrested for public intoxication even though she blew under the limit, .03 I believe. I bring this up because I'm wondering if Art Acevedo isn't stretching the police force thin and pushing their resources to issues that aren't really issues. Dale said that Art's take on it is that it's a safety issue. I also think it's a legality issue. If an officer pulls someone over in Austin who has had a drink, but blows under the limit, and then 5 minutes later runs over and kills a pedestrian, the City could get sued for it. Remember, the City of Austin has had some ugly lawsuits filed against it in recent years and the police have also been walking on eggshells for the last 10 years because of police shootings.

Regarding 6th Street, maybe if the City and bar owners quit concerning themselves with where the wiener stand is they could focus on more pressing issues. Remember the "Best Wurst" cart issue with it blocking the entrances of a few bars/businesses on 6th and they wanted it moved? It just seems like a non-issue, meanwhile, the district is in decline.

My whole point is that APD, the bar owners and the City seem to not have their priorities in line on a few things, and the rise in crime has been the consequence of that.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:33 AM
Meh

And yes, the crime during the 90s was the worst. Austin had its highest ever murder count in 1991 when there were 49 murders that year. Austin was half the size it is now and had twice the number of murders some years. I think we only had 20 or something in 2007 or so.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:50 AM

Just a(n unloaded) question,

Are you sure that Katrina refugees are responsible? I would imagine Austin has long had a gang problem. A dozen or so criminals among tens of thousands Katrina victims pales in comparison to the thousands of gang members scattered around the region.

And yeah, East 6th has gotten unattractive to me, and I am a 22 year old resident of the urban core. I wish the district was more accommodating to live music during weekends while West and North Campus could pick up the college crowds.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
According to a APD friend who works the downtown area most of the bangers are Katrina refugees....Cartel members don't wear red and blue.
I never said there are cartels in Austin. But Austin is strategically vital for cartels to transport drugs to other parts of the country. There was a huge article on this last year in the Statesman when they busted that house in Pfluggerville that had loads of drugs there. It specifically claimed that Austin along with San Antonio were vital to transport the drugs to Houston, Dallas and even Atlanta because of the closeness to the border. The article also claimed that gang crime has been increasing because of this. Typically, cartels make befriend local gangs to distribute drugs.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't know how anyone could say 6th is declining or dangerous unless they just moved to Austin in the past few years. And I'm pretty sure that is certanly not the case with any of the above posters. Y'all really don't remember in the 80's and 90's how much more dangerous it was? How people would actually take used needles (which could easily be found on the street just about anywhere back then) and go around stabbing random people hoping to spread AIDS. I remember hearing about shootings and such all the time on 6th when I was younger. Stories like the one Kevin posted were pretty common.
I've only heard about S. Congress being notorious for that in the 80s and 90s. But all in all, 6th St. still ain't much attractive, regardless of when crime started to rise or not.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:26 AM
Meh

By the way, Dale said the arrest and release percentage is the higher in Travis County than in any other Texas county. He said the arrest and release percentage is 30 percent - and this article confirms that:

http://www.statesman.com/news/states...inglePage=true
Quote:
Travis high in drunken driving arrests, dismissals

By Tony Plohetski and Tyler Sieswerda

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 6:56 p.m. Monday, May 16, 2011
Published: 6:38 p.m. Saturday, May 14, 2011

Travis County has dismissed a higher percentage of drunken driving cases than other major Texas counties in part because prosecutors said police filed weak charges or prosecutors let suspects plead to other crimes.

Officials in 2009 and during the first eight months of 2010 threw out about 30 percent of misdemeanor drunken driving cases, while those in Tarrant County, where the dismissal percentage is lowest among the state's biggest counties, dismissed less than 5 percent during that period.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:44 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I never said there are cartels in Austin. But Austin is strategically vital for cartels to transport drugs to other parts of the country. There was a huge article on this last year in the Statesman when they busted that house in Pfluggerville that had loads of drugs there. It specifically claimed that Austin along with San Antonio were vital to transport the drugs to Houston, Dallas and even Atlanta because of the closeness to the border. The article also claimed that gang crime has been increasing because of this. Typically, cartels make befriend local gangs to distribute drugs.
See, but here's the thing. People love to bash Austin for being a "sanctuary city" and for having a liberal policy on drugs (excuse me?) - but, it's usually the suburbs here that turn up POUNDS of cocaine, heroin and whatever else. Believe me, drug dealers and manufacturers LOVE the advertised image of squeaky clean suburban neighborhoods filled with people who are mostly clueless to the process of making those drugs and the clues/signs to look for it happening. It's funny, though, and actually angers me because those drug houses in Round Rock, Buda and Pflugerville are the ones harboring that stuff, but it's Austin that gets the bad label. The City of Austin and APD have no authority over what's going on in those other cities and towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24
I've only heard about S. Congress being notorious for that in the 80s and 90s.
I've said this before, but a friend of my dad years ago used to own the house where the Great Outdoors is on South Congress. I remember going to her house and seeing prostitutes standing on Congress in front of her house. And this was at like 8 pm in the evening.

By the way, I think the campaign to stomp out prostitution on South Congress during the 90s lead to the rise in crime in other areas of the city - namely in the form of the highest murder rates the city ever saw. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they ran the prostitutes out of there and made the place habitable again, but it came at a cost.

It's funny though that Art Acevedo gets irritated at the idea of APD having to enforce a tougher immigration policy by checking for someone's immigration status when they are being pulled over or checked out for something. His complaint is that it takes police officers off of other cases and turns them into immigration enforcement officers - something that local law enforcement is not officially tasked with doing. He doesn't like that it takes officers away from other crime happening. I find it funny, though, because while he's saying that he's tightening the grip on alcohol related cases and has been doing so for a while. Remember all the stories about the clubs in downtown that were on the list of having the cops called out to them the most? While they're making an issue of that, our crime rate has increased. Violence in downtown for the last 10 years has been largely unheard of besides a few drunk idiots dueling it out. But to hear of someone being shot or being murdered is unheard of. While every other area of the city has had murders happen year after year, downtown and Central Austin have not.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
See, but here's the thing. People love to bash Austin for being a "sanctuary city" and for having a liberal policy on drugs (excuse me?) - but, it's usually the suburbs here that turn up POUNDS of cocaine, heroin and whatever else. Believe me, drug dealers and manufacturers LOVE the advertised image of squeaky clean suburban neighborhoods filled with people who are mostly clueless to the process of making those drugs and the clues/signs to look for it happening. It's funny, though, and actually angers me because those drug houses in Round Rock, Buda and Pflugerville are the ones harboring that stuff, but it's Austin that gets the bad label. The City of Austin and APD have no authority over what's going on in those other cities and towns.
Yeah, I agree. I think its unfortunate in any case. I guess Austin sorta gets labeled just cause those smaller towns are part of Austin's metro.

Anyway, the only reason why I brought it up was because of rise in gang crime. It's true that maybe 6th st. has always had some crime issues but most of the crime were not even gang related. Gang crime in particular has been at a rise in Austin now. That's something that can't be ignored and while APD can't do anything with whats going on in the suburbs there's gotta be some way of avoid the overlap of crime into Austin. I dunno.... I'm not an expert in those things. I just know that I really really hate gang members and I am not ashamed to say it.

I wish the fire department can hose them down and forever get rid of them. And while we have the freedom of expression and all, maybe just for this once make an exception and hose down anyone wearing all red, or all blue. Please oh please make that happen!

Quote:
I've said this before, but a friend of my dad years ago used to own the house where the Great Outdoors is on South Congress. I remember going to her house and seeing prostitutes standing on Congress in front of her house. And this was at like 8 pm in the evening.

By the way, I think the campaign to stomp out prostitution on South Congress during the 90s lead to the rise in crime in other areas of the city - namely in the form of the highest murder rates the city ever saw. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they ran the prostitutes out of there and made the place habitable again, but it came at a cost.

It's funny though that Art Acevedo gets irritated at the idea of APD having to enforce a tougher immigration policy by checking for someone's immigration status when they are being pulled over or checked out for something. His complaint is that it takes police officers off of other cases and turns them into immigration enforcement officers - something that local law enforcement is not officially tasked with doing. He doesn't like that it takes officers away from other crime happening. I find it funny, though, because while he's saying that he's tightening the grip on alcohol related cases and has been doing so for a while. Remember all the stories about the clubs in downtown that were on the list of having the cops called out to them the most? While they're making an issue of that, our crime rate has increased. Violence in downtown for the last 10 years has been largely unheard of besides a few drunk idiots dueling it out. But to hear of someone being shot or being murdered is unheard of. While every other area of the city has had murders happen year after year, downtown and Central Austin have not.
I've heard plenty of stories of S. Congress from the 90's. Do you think that maybe it was because heroin was fairly new and it played a major role in that? I think the 90s was statistically the most crime ridden decade for the US. Was it not? I grew up in Houston in a very bad neighborhood during early 90s and it was very very bad to say the least. I was 8 years old when I saw our dead security guard from the apartments where I lived. He was shot twice in the head, his body lying in a large pool of blood. I will never forget that. That neighborhood is still bad but not as bad as it was in those times. There must be some correlation with the times.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
~Hook'em~

http://www.statesman.com/business/te...e=rss_business

Quote:
Emerging talent shortage is hot topic at Austin tech CEO summit
By Lori Hawkins
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Austin remains a cool place for starting a tech company, but business leaders worry that it could start to run short of talented workers with critical skills.

That was one of the top themes at Thursday's CEO Summit 2011, a daylong gathering of 100 tech company leaders at the Four Seasons Hotel downtown.

The goal of the conference, sponsored by the Austin Technology Council, was to tackle issues tied to Austin's aspirations to grow as a high-tech hub, including workforce development, the availability of capital for startup companies and education.

Coming up with ways to ease Austin's increasingly tight market for some tech talent emerged as one of the most pressing needs. CEOs said skilled engineers and experienced product marketers are hardest to find.

Several ideas emerged for how to expand Austin's tech pool and support startups. One involves organizing a recruiting trip to Silicon Valley in the fall during which Austin CEOs would meet with engineers and marketers one-on-one.

"Instead of waiting for the Chamber of Commerce or others to do that bidding and bring back companies, we could go directly and focus on individuals," said Larry Warnock , CEO of Austin startup Gazzang Inc. and emcee of the summit.

Sarah Smith , who leads the Austin operations of Facebook Inc., suggested that rather than traveling west, companies should bring recruits to Austin to see for themselves what the city has to offer.

"I would change your idea and fly 50 or 60 people here," said Smith, who participated in a panel on Austin's talent challenge. "Once you get people here, they're sold."

The event attracted executives from a wide range of companies, from startups with a dozen employees to Samsung, whose Austin workforce now numbers about 2,000 people.

As a way to foster that sense of community, some attendees proposed creating a startup district similar to San Francisco's South of Market, or SoMa, district, which has incubators for young companies and has been home to upstarts as well as Twitter, Zynga and Yelp.

Suaad Sait, chairman of ReachForce, said a district could provide a central place for helping entrepreneurs network and share ideas.

"I advise a group of three UT students, and they have a really great idea, but they don't know anything about starting a business," Sait said. "A startup district downtown could be a place where you could dock them and others who are at that stage and help them through the next steps."
I have to agree with Ms. Smith's part that I bolded. Once you get people to Austin they never leave. Also, I am a huge fan of all that is going on at the incubators at MSB at UT, but a special district downtown or near Red River or anywhere just south but still close to campus would be really damn cool.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 7:54 PM
Meh

30 years later. 13 people died from the flooding mostly in Central Austin.

My mom remembers the storm. They were at the movie theatre watching Dune. She said it was odd watching a movie which took place in the desert and then coming outside to a flooded city.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...h-1493645.html
Quote:
Remembering the Memorial Day Flood on its 30th anniversary

pdated: 9:16 a.m. Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Published: 6:41 p.m. Monday, May 23, 2011

Thirty years ago today, a massive storm dumped more than 10 inches of rain on parts of the Austin area in four hours, triggering massive flooding. The Memorial Day Flood left 13 people dead, and damage was estimated at more than $35 million.

The event led the city to make major changes in how it prepares for and responds to flooding.

Today, on the flood's anniversary, we're publishing a remembrance by Ed Crew, one of dozens of readers who shared their memories of the flood. On Sunday, we'll feature more of these stories in the print edition.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 10:07 PM

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation...y-1495245.html

Quote:
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad was released from a Texas hospital Tuesday and is expected to make a full recovery after a procedure to open a clogged artery.

Fayyad was admitted to Seton Medical Center Austin on Sunday for chest pains, was treated on Monday and released early Tuesday afternoon, said hospital spokeswoman Adrienne Lallo.

Dr. Kunjan Bhatt, a cardiologist who helped care for Fayyad, said he did not have a heart attack, as the prime minister's spokesman had suggested earlier. Fayyad should make a full recovery, Bhatt said.

The doctor said Fayyad, who has been prime minister since 2007, was hospitalized with chest pains on Sunday and felt more discomfort on Monday during a treadmill test. Doctors suspected he was experiencing the beginning of a possible heart attack and performed an artery-opening angioplasty, inserting a stent, Bhatt said.

"I expect him to make a full recovery and I expect his prognosis to be good," he said, adding that he has advised Fayyad, who was born in 1952 and is a heavy smoker, to quit smoking.

The prime minister's spokesman, Jamal Zakout, has said Fayyad was in Austin to attend the college graduation of his son, Khaled.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 5:14 PM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ice-space.html
Quote:
KXAN seeks larger studio, office space in Austin
Station manager: ‘If we find the right deal, we would move at any time’

Austin Business Journal - by Cody Lyon , ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 3:08pm CDT

Austin NBC affiliate KXAN Television may sell its property just north of downtown and move to another central location.

KXAN General Manager Eric Lassberg said the station has outgrown its studios and offices, and that it would not be feasible to expand the space it has owned at 908 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. since 1965.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:25 PM
Meh

One of the stores we go to, the HEB at South First & William Cannon, has been under renovation for the past 2 months or so.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ion-spree.html
Quote:
HEB is on a renovation spree
10 stores, 10 months and more on way

Austin Business Journal - by Cody Lyon , ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 3:16pm CDT

HEB Grocery Co. LP is shoring up its real estate in Central Texas, investing millions on renovations and store enhancements.

The renovations aren’t just a splash of paint here and there. Walls are getting knocked out, floors are being replaced, and in some locations space is being made for new products that target the demographics of nearby neighborhoods.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 5:10 AM
Meh

About 90 blocks flooded along the creek in Central Austin. Some spots were flooded up to the tree tops along the creek.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
Tales from the Memorial Day flood: Readers relive the danger, loss and heroism of 30 years ago

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 11:12 p.m. Saturday, May 28, 2011
Published: 8:17 p.m. Saturday, May 28, 2011

AUSTIN HISTORY CENTER
The area along West Sixth Street that's now known more for trendy living, dining and shopping was populated by several car dealerships on May 24, 1981. Much of their inventory washed into Shoal Creek as its normal 90-gallons-a-minute flow surged to 6 million gallons a minute.

The deluge came on Memorial Day weekend 1981, when several hours of torrential rain quickly overwhelmed Austin's creeks and storm drains.

Shoal Creek, which has a typical flow of 90 gallons per minute, saw 6 million gallons of water per minute roar down it toward what was then called Town Lake and is now known as Lady Bird Lake. Other creeks saw similar torrents. The May 24, 1981, flood drowned 13 people; an untold number were saved by police officers, firefighters and other public servants and bystanders-turned-rescuers.
Video Link

Memorial Day Flood Stories
We've asked readers to send us their stories from the Memorial Day flood of 1981. Here is a collection of those stories.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-1404008.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:15 PM
on the south side

Just my .02 about the burgers. P.Terrys' is Austin's version of In-N-Out and I love it along with Dans, Frans, Sandy's, Top Notch. Everybody raved when Steak-N-Shake and Five Guys came to town; and they are good burgers.............but with such great local burgers joints I go there very rarely. I've noticed no one mentioned Mighty Fine Burgers. However, they are amazing along with great customer service.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...=breaking_news
Quote:
Company planning 239-employee software center in Austin

By American-Statesman staff | Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 04:33 PM

The Advisory Board, a Washington, D.C..-based company that provides performance improvement services to the education and healthcare industries, is proposing to create a software center in Austin.

The company plans to create 239 jobs over 10 years, with an average salary of $90,000.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 3:12 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...play_canc.html
Quote:
Austin’s fireworks display canceled because of drought

By Claire Osborn | Thursday, June 9, 2011, 02:55 PM

Austin’s annual downtown July 4 fireworks display has been canceled because of drought, along with fireworks displays everywhere else in the county — including Pflugerville, Oak Hil and the Lake Travis area, Travis County fire officials said today.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 12:05 AM
Meh

Yikes!

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...w_hotel_i.html
Quote:
Glass panels fall at W Hotel, injuring four

By Jeremy Schwartz | Saturday, June 11, 2011, 03:05 PM

Two glass panels fell more than 20 stories from balconies at the W Austin Hotel and Residences into the hotel’s pool area Friday evening, injuring four people, the hotel said. The glass panels fell from balcony railings of two unoccupied condominium units on the 24th and 25th floors at about 6:20 p.m., said W Austin General Manager Drew McQuade.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 12:26 AM

Uh-oh....sounds like some sloppy installation work.

My son & DIL plan a weekend stay there next month. I'll warn them to keep a headsup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin