HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:53 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I support density. I can see the benefits in it. But for me personally, it's not my thing.

Maybe I'm a bit anti-social. Where I grew up, I was just outside the city limits on 3 acres. We had neighbors, but were so secluded, I didn't know any of them. Living in a neighborhood is a serious adjustment for me. Actually having neighbors to interact with...haha. I enjoy my elbow room.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
...I was taking my first walk on the boardwalk. .... I went from Lakeshore Blvd to Congress and back,...

It was very interesting to see how much the skyline changes as your viewing angle changes. ... But I got a much stronger sense of the subtle variations that occur even by just walking 50 feet in either direction on the trail. Entire buildings becoming hidden or revealed, and those that you can see interact differently with one another. It's fantastic,....
This is the beauty of having public land surrounding public water. We all can enjoy the vistas. The boardwalk and public parks surrounding water is not very common in Texas. We have a gem here in Austin; the ability to interact with our downtown and skyline from many different public vantage points.

I want to reinforce your comment about the buildings "interacting differently with one another" from viewing points just a few feet apart. This is why it is essential -as many have commented on- that buildings need to "borrow" color and texture from their neighboring buildings in order to create a pleasing whole; that being the skyline.

I too spent time in California; 15 years in the LA area. Though their skyline is impressive with many great individual buildings, it is very discordant. Many "trophy" towers that do not relate to their neighbors, with ugly corporate signage on them to boot.

Bravo developers in Austin. You have heard our comments and improved your developments....and helped create a terrific skyline for all in Austin to enjoy.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:29 PM

Parking News! From today's City Council meeting, Item 54

Quote:
Council Resolution 20131024-058 directed the City Manager to develop a proposed ordinance to allow metered
parking spaces within a certain distance of a business to count towards the minimum parking required by Chapter 25-
6 of the Land Development Code. The proposed amendment recommends that on-street parking spaces used to
satisfy on-site parking requirements will include metered parking spaces within a distance of 250 feet of the site on a
public street. It is the staff recommendation that for metered parking spaces to be counted toward the minimum offstreet
parking requirements, such spaces should only be applicable for non-residential uses.

The rationale behind the use of metered parking spaces is to promote continuous and frequent turnover in a given
time period for numerous users throughout the day for the benefit of businesses in an appropriate area. For
residential uses (mid-rise and high-rise apartments, condominiums, townhomes), the parking turnover may be longer
in duration and in some cases the residents of these unit types may still acquire additional vehicles.
Edit:
City has postponed action
Quote:
54 Conduct a public hearing and consider an ordinance amending City Code Chapter 25-6 to allow metered parking spaces to be counted towards the minimum off-street parking required for non-residential uses.
AT ITS 4 PM TIME CERTAIN A REQUEST WILL BE MADE TO POSTPONE TO NOVEMBER 6, 2014

Last edited by jngreenlee; Oct 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Updated city action

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:25 AM
Love Austin

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 10:46 AM

Nice. The view from the Seven is one of the best views downtown.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:41 PM

Does anyone know what is planned for the Dog & Duck property?

http://m.bizjournals.com/austin/blog...nths-away.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:06 AM

Rainey Rising.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:25 AM

I can even see a white crane in the far distance from what looks like the Airport? I'm assuming.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I can even see a white crane in the far distance from what looks like the Airport? I'm assuming.
I love how SSP people can spot such things.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I love how SSP people can spot such things.
Thanks for the compliment Hill Country. Honestly I have horrible vision so my glasses that I wear helps improve my vision slightly. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 3 in which I can easily zoom in & out of a picture, so it makes it alot easier to see far away distances as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Thanks for the compliment Hill Country. Honestly I have horrible vision so my glasses that I wear helps improve my vision slightly. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 3 in which I can easily zoom in & out of a picture, so it makes it alot easier to see far away distances as well.
What I didn't say was that I can see two cranes on the horizon. You're slacking.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:14 AM

Quote:
What I didn't say was that I can see two cranes on the horizon. You're slacking.
Lol that I am.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:03 PM

Anyone have info on what the owners of the Dog and Duck site have planned?
Closing on the 31st is quick and makes me "guess" they might have plans already.

Last edited by MichaelB; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Anyone have info on what will the owners of the Dog and Duck site have planned?
Closing on the 31st is quick and makes me "guess" they might have plans already.
Not sure what is going up on this site, but something is. Checked the tax records. An entity named Headington Armory Partners owns 4 of the 6 parcels on that block. If you do a permit search for those 4 addresses, there are multiple demolition permits requested for each parcel. The addresses for the below parcels are:

407 West 18th - Parcel 199818
412 West 17th - Parcel 199816
406 West 17th - Parcel 199819 (Dog & Duck)
1708 Guadalupe - Parcel 199813

Source: TravisCAD.org

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:34 PM

What I dislike and don't understand is why more bars don't agree to sell their property in exchange for a long-term lease as the ground-floor retail of a future high- or mid-rise development. Maybe it's the developers who are against that idea but I think Austinites would have more respect and less antipathy for developers if they didn't displace their favorite watering holes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:11 PM

^ I've always felt the same way. My guess is that the lease is higher than what they were paying in most cases. So I think there should be incentives from the city to make that a reality. The only place I can think of where this has already happened is the pub on north burnet and a few stores where the Alamo Drafthouse is on S. Lamar.

Last edited by nixcity; Oct 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Not sure what is going up on this site, but something is. Checked the tax records. An entity named Headington Armory Partners owns 4 of the 6 parcels on that block. If you do a permit search for those 4 addresses, there are multiple demolition permits requested for each parcel. The addresses for the below parcels are:

407 West 18th - Parcel 199818
412 West 17th - Parcel 199816
406 West 17th - Parcel 199819 (Dog & Duck)
1708 Guadalupe - Parcel 199813

Source: TravisCAD.org
AH! thanks. folks have been trying to put together that block for years. Looks like someone is suceeding.!
thats a full block and not in the CVC
I Just PRAY it is not more student housing.!!!!!!

Update:
A little digging:

"Headington Armory Partners" = Timothy Headington. ie, billionaire texas oil man Tim Headington. Who... owns Headington Hotel group..... which developed the Joule and Lumen in Dallas.
Wish/pray/hope.... this will still be the hotel that was talked about years ago when they started buying this property.
BTW... he was key in making sure the Travis house was not designated historic so it could be torn down.
These are the folks that have been trying to put together this block for years!
Fingers crossed for someting good and with loosing D&D in the hood.... and not just a sell off! And I'll say again... and please god no more student housing! LOL!

Last edited by MichaelB; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 PM
Meh

Quote:
I totally missed that. I was staring at the control tower. By the way, I was by the airport last week and there was only one crane up. There had been three at one point. That garage is looking impressive from 71. I'm looking forward to checking out the views from the top. It should be pretty good.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
What I dislike and don't understand is why more bars don't agree to sell their property in exchange for a long-term lease as the ground-floor retail of a future high- or mid-rise development. Maybe it's the developers who are against that idea but I think Austinites would have more respect and less antipathy for developers if they didn't displace their favorite watering holes.
Most bars, like the Dog and Duck, don't own the land (and often the buildings) that they are located on, so they don't have the means to cash out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:28 AM

Some eye candy.

I really do wonder how exactly they'll light Colorado Tower. Not here for it blocking Frost with no night time lighting.

I'm enjoying the Bowie's lighting, but it'd be really cool if it would change colors !

Cute!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin