Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'mystery' name:

I K R O N R N I L N S

'mystery location.

Transportation themed, amusement park.

eBay (no longer listed)
The address is on the bus: 3640 So Crenshaw Boulevard. Here's an advert from the December 21st, 1946 issue of Billboard:

books.google.com

And this article is from the March 27th, 1948 issue.

books.google.com

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:19 PM
I Like Turtles!

Unhappy Holidays

Reposted from Deranged LA Crimes.com, Dec. 21, 2018

The holidays are a time for family, and Sarah Marquez and her two-year-old son, Eric, were looking forward to Christmas 1953 with more enthusiasm than ever. Eric was too young to recall his parents ever living together, they separated when he was an infant, but if all went well on December 18th, the family would be reunited.

December 18th came—Sarah gathered up Eric and they left her parents home at 208 West 97th Street to join her husband Reginald at his apartment at 15732 ½ Paramount Boulevard. Sarah and Reginald filled their arms with tree ornaments, toy trains and other gifts designed to make Eric giddy with delight.

The get-together went well at first, then Reginald began drinking. Beer cans and liquor bottles piled up on the floor and Reginald’s mood turned ugly. Sarah tried to salvage the day, but it was impossible to reason with her husband. Unable to take Reginald’s bad temper any longer, Sarah drew Eric to her and demanded Reginald take them back to her parents’ home.

When they arrived at her door Reginald forced his way in and grabbed a knife from the kitchen. He waved the knife around and made threats terrifying enough to send her running for the bathroom. She locked the door and waited for him to go.

Reginald refused to leave. Instead he calmed and persuaded Sarah to come out so they could patch things up. The attempt at reconciliation lasted only until Reginald saw a photograph of Sarah with another man, a mutual friend of theirs. The photo was taken during the period of their separation, but Reginald was not mollified. He became abusive and tore the photo into shreds. He grabbed another knife and chased her around the house threatening to kill her. Sarah ran for the bedroom and slammed the door shut behind her. In a blind rage, Reginald beat his fists against the door and then broke the knife against it. He managed to force the door open and they took their struggle to the living room sofa.

In desperation Sarah grabbed at the cushions. She fumbled around and found the .32 caliber automatic pistol Reginald gave her when he returned from the war. She fired six shots. Two of the slugs smashed into Reginald’s stomach and killed him. The other four rounds ricocheted around the room, fortunately none of them struck Eric who cowered in his crib.

Police from the Los Angeles Police Department’s 77th Division took Sarah to jail.

Eric’s maternal grandparents took Eric. The little boy had a lot of questions his grandparents didn’t want to answer, so they let him open his presents a few days early.

NOTE: The Los Angeles Times did not report any further on the case. It is likely that Reginald’s death was considered self-defense.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

LA Times 4/9/1989 via ProQuest via CSULB Library
Marla's Memory Lane, circa 1989, was owned by actress Marla Gibbs who appeared on "The Jeffersons" and also recently in the All in the Family/Jeffersons live reboot on ABC.

https://www.seeing-stars.com/Dine/Marlas.shtml

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:01 AM

Quote:
mystery location.

At first I thought this slide might be of Kiddie Land on the southeast corner of Beverly & La Cienega Blvds.

"3 Kodachrome Slide 1947 Los Angeles KIDDIE RIDES Amusement Park LATL TROLLEY BUS."

Ebay

But in this 2nd slide one of our favorite subjects on NLA shows up in the upper left hand corner. ...A Gas-o-Meter!

Ebay

If I'm not mistaken, the closest gas-o-meter to Kiddie Land was up in Hollywood near one of the older studios.

Then this 3rd slide popped up and LO and BEHOLD...A straight-on view of the Gas-o-Meter.

Ebay

Wowza!............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ The LARy trolley car is extremely cool as well.

So if this small amusement park isn't Kiddie Land, what is it?

Remember folks; the slides are dated 1947.

Hey Guys! Remember this amusement park we pondered over back in May?
Could this be the "newly discovered" Tinker Town on Crenshaw? The double decker bus sure looks the same.

Was there a gas-o-meter down by Crenshaw?

Last edited by FredH; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:40 PM

Gasometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Hey Guys! Remember this amusement park we pondered over back in May?
Could this be the "newly discovered" Tinker Town on Crenshaw? The double decker bus sure looks the same.

Was there a gas-o-meter down on Crenshaw?
I believe Tinker Town was located on Crenshaw between Obama Blvd (Rodeo Road) and Exposition Blvd on the site of the Crenshaw Expo Line station being built. The Gasometer was located around 12th Avenue and Exposition Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:57 PM

Here's a 1947 aerial with Tinker Town just where bighen described. You can also see the gasometer. I've inset an enlargement of the Tinker Town area, although it's still quite blurry.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:22 PM

Excellent!

And we (FredH) recognized the 3 Kodachrome slides as being Tinkertown too. Yjat's so cool!

Pacific Electric Monthly Maganzine. / 1951

I wonder what eventually happened to Mr. Tibbett's wooden models?

If you're wondering: ...Ygat's is "that's" in Russian.
.....................................................................................................................................................................(no it isn't) ha ha

update:

Here's a close up of proud Mr. Tibbetts with his one-of-a-kind models.

DETAIL

This man was a treasure.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 8, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:49 PM

By 1952 Tinkertown appears to have moved down a block from it's location in HossC's 1947 aerial to give it an address at 3730 Crenshaw Blvd.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu - axj-1952_4k_166

It stayed there until 1957 when they had to move out to make way for the Holiday Bowl alley.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Shin Nichibei - 23 August 1957

loc.gov/pictures

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jul 8, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:25 AM

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/NVnFCI.jpg
My grandfather Harold had this picture in his work shop/Office.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The address is on the bus: 3640 So Crenshaw Boulevard. Here's an advert from the December 21st, 1946 issue of Billboard:

]
The individual 1946 Sale price of those various cool miniature rides are steep for that year. I hope he got it but I wonder whatever became of them.

Those little vehicles each cost more than a new low-end Cadillac of that year.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:50 AM

Could this possibly be a stereoview that we haven't seen?

I'm pretty sure I would have remembered the little boy looking down Broadway from the top of the Broadway Tunnel.

eBay

Hmmm...judging by the wrought iron railing maybe the boy isn't at the top.

He's either at location 1 or 2 [below]

WATER AND POWER

Note the same billboards in both images.

A closer look.

DETAIL

I think he's only halfway to the top...standing on the middle landing................................(but he seems too high up to be that location)

You can bid on it HERE

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:29 PM

E.R. - I think the kid may be standing on this ledge. Standing here would put him higher up and put the larger railing pole to his left.

Water and Power

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 7:16 PM

I agree with FredH. Here's a head-on view of the tunnel from after Broadway was lowered. The angle of the railing to the left of the child coupled with angle of the tracks means he must be at the top. I ruled out position "2" because although the railing slopes the right way, there appears to be a protruding balcony in the second image which isn't seen in the original picture.

silentlocations.com

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Could this possibly be a stereoview that we haven't seen?

I'm pretty sure I would have remembered the little boy looking down Broadway from the top of the Broadway Tunnel.

eBay

Hmmm...judging by the wrought iron railing maybe the boy isn't at the top.

He's either at location 1 or 2 [below]

WATER AND POWER
That's a very cool stereoview, e_r. I don't think we've seen the Broadway Tunnel stairway that close-up before.

The Broadway Tunnel stairway was built by the Bailey Ornamental Iron Company of 110 Ord Street, as seen in the lower left corner of this ad
from LeBerthon's Our Architecture: Morgan & Walls, John Parkinson, Hunt & Eager (1904).

In that ad, the horizontal beam seen in the second photo above just below the 2 has BAILEY ORNAMENTAL IRON CO written on it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:23 PM

I'll have to agree with you guys. The boy is probably standing at the top of the tunnel. (on the west side) ...Maybe the boy lived in one of those houses.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
...Maybe the boy lived in one of those houses.
And maybe he bumped into or had some run-ins ... with Claire and Clio.

"You go away! I was here first."

"You better scram little boy ... or we'll beat you up. This is our photo opportunity!"

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:46 AM

Garden of Allah Hotel, Sunset Blvd, circa 1940s(?)

After collecting and researching photos of the Garden of Allah Hotel for over 10 years I'd have thought I would have already seen every photo of the joint out there. But along comes this one. It's odd that there are no cars and no people in sight - where the hell was everybody??? - so it's hard to date it. All I have to go on is the tree out front of the main building. In earlier photos it's not very big but in this one it obscures most of the building so I'm going to guess late 1940s. If anybody can narrow it down for me, I'd love to hear from you.

For fun, I had someone on Fiverr color it for me:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:02 PM

The following two photographs just showed up on eBay

It shows the Vermont Ave. Sears Store nearing completion.

"1936 Sears Roebuck Los Angeles Photo Vermont Slauson Store Addition JJ Newberry"

eBay

This must be the back of the same building.

eBay

I don't know if the building is still standing.

I don't have time to look it up. (have an errand have to run)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:25 PM

This store at 5820 S Vermont was built in 1927, with building permits in February and March. They both say that the building was set back to allow for widening of Slauson. A neon sign was added in 1955. I couldn't see a demo permit, but the building was torn down sometime in the 1970s, and replaced by smaller stores in 1981.

Here's another construction photo I found.

LAPL

I'm not sure why Photobucket are watermarking my images since I pay them for hosting, but nothing they do surprises me any more!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 7:06 PM

That's quite a tower!

Did it have a purpose?..other than aesthetics.

I'd be very upset if imageshack (the host site I use) started putting watermarks on my photographs.
A lot of my photographs already have watermarks. ...Adding another one would ruin the pic.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos