HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
The service life of a wood utility pole in Los Angeles is quite long. Forty to eighty years is common.

Many factors feed into the pole life: Street widening, change of service, car impacts, the need and the winner is of course decay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Los Angeles MTA # 3148, PCC Narrow Gauge Streetcar, Last Day, March 30, 1963." -no location given.

negative found this evening on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item51c9348810

__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This is Vernon. The "Kaiser Refractories and Chemicals Div" was at 4555 Pacific Boulevard in CDs from the 60s. The red numbers on the side of the building in the GSV (bisected by the telephone pole) are "4555"

GSV
Utility poles!
They catch my attention too.
The pole appearing to be highest in E_Rs photo, just above the streetcar may still be there in Lorendoc's photo after only 50+ years.
Not quite as remarkable as the existent poles E_R's house photo which is a decade or two earlier older.

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 26, 2015 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 2:31 AM

Speaking of poles. Please give me a pass for re-posting this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
The mystery of the Mesmer Flagpole.

"The first real civic flagpole - other than up on Fort Moore - which was erected in front of the US Hotel in support of the Union cause in 1864" - Brady Westwater

http://lacowboy.blogspot.com/2014/10...-who-took.html

I'm sure that many here are aware of the more or less recent renovation of LA Hall of Justice.
In front the building there used to be two flagpoles. One was the very old wooden "Mesmer" flag pole with a bronze historic marker at its base. It has disappeared.

I have been informed unofficially, off-the-record that it was NOT on the historic resources list when Public Works did the renovation.

Louis Mesmer has been brought here several times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
On the LAPL Record page* for that pic of the Temple Block I posted yesterday, I noted that in the Summary, it says, "On the left is the United States Hotel." Initially, I dismissed this as an inaccuracy, as the building shown at the SE corner of Main and Market there (with the tall flag pole in front) is clearly NOT the U.S. Hotel I am familiar with.

LAPL

However, I distinctly recall that the Nuestro Pueblo column of April 27, 1939, which lamented the razing of the hotel, said it was built "before the Civil War." Yet, photos of the ornate Victorian structure I know as the U.S. Hotel clearly show the year "1886" on the front as the date of its erection. This apparent inconsistency has always bugged me.

LAPL/Herald-Examiner Collection

Now, I think the LAPL Record page was correct, after all – that the building shown at Main and Market in the first photo is, in fact, the original United States Hotel. (I wish I could see the signage clearer, so I could be 100% certain.) If it is, that would be an exciting revelation to me! (Heh, I'm weird, go fig.) ^^ Anyway, I know there had to be a United States Hotel at least as early as 1863, as it is mentioned in the obituary of Louis Mesmer, who apparently bought the hotel in that year (and whose name appears on the facade of the 1886 structure). So I guess that really is the original U.S. Hotel in the older photo. Yay!

I'm also now curious if descendants of Louis Mesmer were somehow connected with the Mesmer City mentioned in this post. (Mesmer's not a very common surname, you have to admit.) Who knows? I sure don't.

*(A shame we apparently can't link to those LAPL Record pages directly.)

-Scott

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

In case anyone is wondering about the location of Apablasa/Apablaza Street, it was one of the streets lost when Union Station was built. It can be seen here on the 1921 Baist map. Alameda is the street across the top.

www.historicmapworks.com
Huntington Digital Library has a big group of photos that I think are from the same set Godzilla posted. I think they're all areas that vanished when Union Station was built.

We have some familiar streets like Aliso. This is 327-335:

HDL

As well as Marchesssault. This is 309-313:

Then we have some less familiar streets, such as Ogier Street. Here's 318-326:

347-351 Ogier:

These next two were taken at 738-742 & 824 Date Street, respectively:

717-721 Avila Street:

Finally, Bauchet Street, which I find particularly alluring for some reason. All pics are taken in the 300 & 400 blocks:

What are those mini oil-derrick-looking contraptions on the roof of the house at left, below (also at right in the photo above)?

I found a few of the streets in question. Avila, Bauchet, and Date all appear on the map below. No sign of Ogier Street though.

Historic Map Works

Just so you can get your bearings, the street at far left is Macy Street.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:15 AM

Very interesting Tetsu. -thanks for posting those amazing photographs.

Until recently, there's been a law that Los Angeles skyscrapers had to have flat tops to accommodate
helicopters in case of a emergency.

...but I find it hard to believe that the Statler Hilton once had a heliport,
especially with it's relatively small roof-top.

ebay

8 minutes from LAX!

Statler Hotel model. Jan. 1949, 1,350 rooms

old file of mine

So I'm asking you fellow NLAers, did the Statler ever have a heliport? *

edit*

OK, I see that there was a place for a heliport. -but was it ever functional? (I've never come across a photograph showing a helicopter landing there)

lapl

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:37 AM

Utility Poles & Ogier Street

Apparently the LADWP cannot keep up with their pole replacement schedule. They're 87,000 behind: http://www.dailynews.com/business/20...their-lifespan One fell over across the street from me and hung there at a crazy angle, held by nothing more than the wires, until a crew showed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
I found a few of the streets in question. Avila, Bauchet, and Date all appear on the map below. No sign of Ogier Street though.

Historic Map Works
Ogier Street is there on your map Tetsu, but it's hard to see. It ran between Date & Alvia. Bauchet's elbow is pointing at it. I cheated & looked it up: http://stevemorse.org/census/changes...esChanges2.htm

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:24 AM

Here's an order (permission?) for 6 utility poles, April 6th 1910.

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:23 AM

The Glorietta Tract was north of Sunset & east of Western. Harvard Dr was named "Crown Ave" until annexation in 1907 (PT&T must have been using an old map). "Prospect", as we all know, became Hollywood Blvd. What's the fourth street name?

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Mas Chop Suey.
1933 - Apablasa and Alameda Streets.

In case anyone is wondering about the location of Apablasa/Apablaza Street, it was one of the streets lost when Union Station was built. It can be seen here on the 1921 Baist map. Alameda is the street across the top.

www.historicmapworks.com
The very precise Baist map of Chinatown added by HossC allows me to improve my post #13 441 (page 673). The last scene (at about 18 minutes) of the movie (we can see it on YouTube) Mandarin Mix up by Stan Laurel (1924) was shot in front of the fourth building (on the Baist map starting from Alameda Street) on the right. Below Cayetano Street. As appropriate in Old Chinatown, Stan Laurel's car is a Laundry too (photo above) but pulled by a horse.

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Jan 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Until recently, there's been a law that Los Angeles skyscrapers had to have flat tops to accommodate

ebay

8 minutes from LAX!

So I'm asking you fellow NLAers, did the Statler ever have a heliport?
I found this clipping in the October 7, 1960 edition of the Independent from Long Beach. It says that plans for a private heliport on the Statler Hilton were approved, but I haven't found any evidence that the idea progressed any further.

www.newspapers.com

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:18 PM

I enjoyed the pictures of Ogier, Date, Avila and Bauchet Streets, Tetsu. I posted some aerial shots showing the disappearance of the houses on nearby Rosabelle, Elizabeth and Augusta Streets in post #23816.

------------

Woodpeckers aren't the only things that trouble utility poles, 24-year-old Annie Jenkins decided to climb one in 1959. OK, it's a lamppost, but the caption calls it a "utility pole".

eBay

It looks like Annie Jenkins picked a lamppost outside the Newsreel Theatre (AKA. the Tower Theatre). Here's a better picture of the Newsreel Theatre with Comet's hot dog stand in the corner.

cinematreasures.org

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

Thanks Hoss for checking the correct name and address for Mr. Foote.

That Doug guy is really wiping the egg off his face now. As usual, all the world can see that he's made another of his infamous and erroneous statements. When will he ever learn....
I see that the elusive Mr. Foote worked for Robert Marsh and Company. They were the real estate concern who developed Mt. Washington around 1909.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

After a quick Google, redfin.com, zillow.com and trulia.com all agree on a build date of 1907 for 1807 S Bonnie Brae, i.e. a year after the known date for the blacksmith.
The County Assessor's office confirms the 1907 build date

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Blacksmith 1906.

ebay

reverse

H. H. Walter, Blacksmith
1807 S. Bonnie Brae
Los Angeles Cal.
Court No. 880

Here is 1807 S. Bonnie Brae today.

GSV

Is there any way to find out if this house dates back to 1906? -the time of the blacksmith?

__
Henry H. Walter, born in Indiana in 1951, is found in the 1900 Census as residing at 1735 Iowa St. There is no house with that number currently but it may have been taken out by the 405.

Maybe the blacksmith shop was on the lot prior to the house being built. Or..the lot was originally larger. There is a period building at the back of the lot next door, very close to the current property line, which has an original door wide enough to have been a blacksmith shop, possibly entered from the alley. This structure has a center chimney, not usual for a house, but common for a blacksmith since a forge would be in the center of a structure. The Assessor has the small building off the alley built in 1890 and then altered in 1904. Just possible.....

The property was part of the Wiesendanger City Tract which Mr Wiesendanger started subdividing around 1902. The small building off the alley predates that.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Very interesting Tetsu. -thanks for posting those amazing photographs.

ebay

8 minutes from LAX!

Statler Hotel model. Jan. 1949, 1,350 rooms

old file of mine

So I'm asking you fellow NLAers, did the Statler ever have a heliport? *

edit*

OK, I see that there was a place for a heliport. -but was it ever functional? (I've never come across a photograph showing a helicopter landing there)

lapl
There is no rating number painted on the flat surface which might indicate that it was never used. The numbers with a circle painted around them rate the weight and/or size of helicopter that could safely land there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:07 PM

I didn't know that oldstuff. -very interesting-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
Couldn't help but notice the Victorian house just up the street at the NE corner of Echo Park Avenue & Ewing Street.

GSV

I especially like the unusual 'flares' at the bottom corners of the gable. Gives it an almost Oriental feel. I'd be willing to bet it's a later Victorian house, late 1890's or maybe even early-early 1900's.
I noticed this house too Tetsu...glad u posted the GSV.

It reminds me a bit of this Victorian on S. Vermont at 27th Street. It has somewhat of a 'flare' at the bottom of the roof as well.

GSV

It's bookended by two fixer uppers.

GSV

Fixer-upper #1 (to the north)

GSV

Fixer-upper #2 (to the south)

GSV

I'd like to personally tear off that enclosed 'porch'.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:34 PM

Since we're discussing heliports.

Remember, downtown Los Angeles once had BIG plans for helicopter transportation.

Here's a post from our NLA inaugural year 2009.

Quote:
Below: An audacious plan for a helicopter terminal attached to Union Station.
(notice the 4 tiny helicopters on the roof....this place is immense)

1960s

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/10511/rec/8

Below: Dated April 4th, 1965.

usc digital archive

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Since we're discussing heliports.

Remember, downtown Los Angeles once had BIG plans for helicopter transportation.

Here's a post from our inaugural year 2009.
This, of course, was before oil cost more than $25 a barrel.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:13 PM

BELOW:

I forgot I had this !

This 1960s map might possibly have the Statler Hilton as one of L.A. Airways heliports. I t has the same 8 minute travel time as advertised on my vintage matchbook.
(of course, numerous other spots downtown would be 8 minutes as well)

ebay, from a couple months ago

I didn't realize the L.A. Airways Helicopter System had such extensive routes.

ebay

As most of you know, all this came to an end after several horrific crashes....such as flight 417 to Disneyland that killed 23 people.

Flight 417 accident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang...ays_Flight_417
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Maybe the blacksmith shop was on the lot prior to the house being built. Or..the lot was originally larger. There is a period building at the back of the lot next door, very close to the current property line, which has an original door wide enough to have been a blacksmith shop, possibly entered from the alley. This structure has a center chimney, not usual for a house, but common for a blacksmith since a forge would be in the center of a structure. The Assessor has the small building off the alley built in 1890 and then altered in 1904. Just possible.....

The property was part of the Wiesendanger City Tract which Mr Wiesendanger started subdividing around 1902. The small building off the alley predates that.
Is this the building you're referring to oldstuff?

GAV (google_alley_view)

below: To me, it looks like it's on the same lot as 1807 S. Bonnie Brae.

-that's 1807 on the left. (both have the same color scheme too)

If this smaller building with the central flue was built in 1890 like oldstuff said, it could have possibly been the blacksmiths shop.

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize the L.A. Airways Helicopter System had such extensive routes.

ebay
I found an interesting history of Los Angeles Airways on a blog called Tails Through Time. Click the link under the image below to see it full-size.

aviationtrivia.blogspot.com

It looks like the building in the picture above is now Terminal 3 at LAX.

Google Maps

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos