HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john98642 View Post
To fix the parking downtown the parkades should stay open 24 hours and not just cater to the businesses. Charge a day rate or something. I know that they are private but if something is not improved it will be awful. Having parking lots downtown is the biggest waste of space ever.
I couldn't agree more. I for one wouldn't mind paying a few dollars for parking at night to enjoy a meal or whatever.
You would think there would be money to be made but I guess for a place like the AP Garage the issue might be security. Even so, opening up just a couple of levels might work.
There is a small parking garage in the lower level of the Bowring building that would be perfect for after hours...maybe 60-70 spaces, one level, indoors. Pay some kid $10 hr to collect and how could you not make money.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:25 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It'd make so much sense to do so.

Which ones are open late? The surface lot by the Murray Premises is usually open, is it not? And I know City Hall is open until later at night.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I couldn't agree more. I for one wouldn't mind paying a few dollars for parking at night to enjoy a meal or whatever.
You would think there would be money to be made but I guess for a place like the AP Garage the issue might be security. Even so, opening up just a couple of levels might work.
There is a small parking garage in the lower level of the Bowring building that would be perfect for after hours...maybe 60-70 spaces, one level, indoors. Pay some kid $10 hr to collect and how could you not make money.
The problem with this is people who leave their cars over night. These spots are paid for by monthly parkers, and if the garage is open, they have the right to use the spot they paid for. Also, if a bunch (even a few) people left thier cars overnight on a weeknight, the owner of the garage would have to start towing people when the monthly people started showing up to work. all in all it'd be more hassle than it was worth.

The only way it would work is if they made the first few floors "first-come first serve" at all times (ie: revoke a pile of current monthly passes). Then you could open a couple of floors at night, charge by the hour, and if someone came by at 9 or 10 am the next day to collect their car, its no big deal.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:28 PM

I agree that these are no doubt issues with regards to any garage open at night, however if there are restrictions placed on overnight parking (ie out by 2:00am) then you know before you go in what is expected. I think this would work for most restaurant goers, not so for late night "I'll take a cab home" party goers.

I heard a story once about someone from out of town who parked in the AP Garage in the afternoon and went to supper and then an Ice Caps game only to find their car locked in when they went to get it. Not sure how it was resolved...lol.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:42 PM

I don’t recall if it was councillor Galgay or Lane who spoke about an initiative the City is going to undertake to look at issues of traffic and parking downtown. Two of the items mentioned were the resident parking permits and the fact that Water St. and Duckworth will NOT be considered for one way traffic. I hope this is something whereby they hold a number of public meetings (with or without the press) to justify their new “engagement” strategy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's