HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Every city has its Times Square. And the Eiffel Tower was actually built for the express purpose of being a tourist attraction, so what do you expect? Montmartre around the Sacre-Cœur also sucks. It’s impossible to even find a decent beer or glass of wine within 200 meters of that thing at least.

But then every city has its West Village or Williamsburg, etc as well. Except Frankfurt, which is just not cool.
Everyone who knows Times Square knows Times Square is a soul sucking sensory overload of obnoxious humanity. People know the Eiffel Tower is a tourist trap but it doesn't evoke the same connotations as Times Square, Vegas, Piccadilly Circus or Hollywood Blvd. It's a Hallmark movie staple.

While the Eiffel Tower itself was a madhouse, the 7th was wonderful and more my speed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
While the Eiffel Tower itself was a madhouse, the 7th was wonderful and more my speed.
I don't think the Eiffel Tower is that bad, for iconic tourist trap standards. At night, watching the light show from the lawn, while super-touristy, is enjoyable. I met a hot Argentine there, while drinking on the lawn, years ago. And they've had online ticketing for years, so you don't have to wait in that stupid line.

And the surrounding blocks are pretty quiet and charming. You go two blocks away and it's super-calm, and a bit staid.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
WHAT???? Paris is the most beatiful city in the world. Hong Kong? LA? WTF!?!?!?!?!
False, that title belongs to Vienna.

Beauty is subjective though, I guess I could see why somebody thinks Hong Kong is more beautiful for it's skyline and harbor.

Paris is so cookie cutter though so I can see why some people don't like it.

Last edited by The North One; Nov 30, 2018 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
False, that title belongs to Vienna.

Beauty is subjective though, I guess I could see why somebody thinks Honk Kong is more beautiful for it's skyline and harbor.

Paris is so cookie cutter though so I can see why some people don't like it.
Paris is clearly better than Vienna, but I do love Vienna as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Paris is clearly better than Vienna, but I do love Vienna as well.
Better is the aspect of beauty? no (at least not in my opinion)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Besides being the largest/richest/most important city on the most important continent over the past 500 years? The undisputed global center of fashion/glamour, the world's leading tourist destination, the most famed monument, museum and palace on earth, and a top-five economy?

If you go to your local Macys, Starbucks, etc. you'll see pop culture references to Paris everywhere. Paris Christmas tree ornaments, perfumes advertised with iconic Parisian imagery, Paris brands from classic (Chanel) to contemporary (the Kooples), etc. And Paris means luxury. Furniture from Lignet Roset, macarons from Ladurée, dining with Joël Robuchon, etc. Paris is ubiquitous.

What global influence comes from Hong Kong? How relevant is Tokyo globally, besides a giant city with huge economy? When does the average person even think of these cities? Who dreams of visiting these cities, like millions dream of Paris?
If you had a space alien visiting you, Paris would be hard to beat as a comprehensive showplace for humanity's "finery" (for lack of a better term).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:01 PM

If you are talking about the 10 most important cities to our world today I do not count Paris among those.

Last Century? No question, Id say even maybe up until about 1950 or 60' but Paris is no longer a critical "resonant" city on the global stage in my oppinon.

Being a pretty tourist attraction does not make you a resonant city, plenty of small towns and villages are beutiful and attract many toursits.

And if we are talking fashion Milan is the top spot for there, but once again fashion is hardly an industry in line with say Finance, Oil, Tech, Media etc. Or as I suggested Rome due to the imporatnce of the Catholic Church.

Feel free to disagree, urbanists by and large are a goofy lot

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Are we talking about the Paris in France? If so, then yes, it is right up there with the world's top cities. It's not just baguettes and coffee shops. It's a real honest-to-god alpha city with skyscrapers and an economy.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:18 PM

It's an alpha city but it's not as influential as it used to be (which makes sense since France as a country is a lot lower on the world stage than what it was). I would say it's closer to Chicago than New York or Tokyo, LA is definitely higher up.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
If you are talking about the 10 most important cities to our world today I do not count Paris among those.

Last Century? No question, Id say even maybe up until about 1950 or 60' but Paris is no longer a critical "resonant" city on the global stage in my oppinon.

Being a pretty tourist attraction does not make you a resonant city, plenty of small towns and villages are beutiful and attract many toursits.

And if we are talking fashion Milan is the top spot for there, but once again fashion is hardly an industry in line with say Finance, Oil, Tech, Media etc. Or as I suggested Rome due to the imporatnce of the Catholic Church.

I think that's more than fair. I agree.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:53 PM

chicago being on this list is a joke tbh

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
chicago being on this list is a joke tbh

Resentment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:59 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I'm pretty sure the world's 275 million French-speakers would disagree with you.

But even ignoring all the cultural stuff, if nothing else, Paris is the world's 5th-largest urban economy and the capital & centre of the world's 7th largest economy. That's got to count for something, surely?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
It's an alpha city but it's not as influential as it used to be (which makes sense since France as a country is a lot lower on the world stage than what it was). I would say it's closer to Chicago than New York or Tokyo, LA is definitely higher up.
Paris is a biggest city in France, one of the biggest/most influential countries in the EU which is the biggest economy on earth.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I'm pretty sure the world's 275 million French-speakers would disagree with you.

But even ignoring all the cultural stuff, if nothing else, Paris is the world's 5th-largest urban economy and the capital & centre of the world's 7th largest economy. That's got to count for something, surely?
Yeah, Paris might not be number 1 but it's still a global powerhouse city, and far from being an urban museum piece.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
LOL. Whut? No offense to L.A., I like it a lot, but it is nowhere near the league of Paris. Paris is home to some of the world's biggest companies, across a plurality of industries... not just finance, all of the French automakers are based there too. Paris is far and away the most high profile city in the French speaking world, and it's a pretty high profile city in the English speaking world too. It is certainly more high profile among English speakers than L.A. or Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
LOL. Whut? No offense to L.A., I like it a lot, but it is nowhere near the league of Paris. Paris is home to some of the world's biggest companies, across a plurality of industries... not just finance, all of the French automakers are based there too. Paris is far and away the most high profile city in the French speaking world, and it's a pretty high profile city in the English speaking world too. It is certainly more high profile among English speakers than L.A. or Chicago.
LA apparently doesn't have big companies?

LA is larger by millions and has significantly higher GDP per capita.

LOL nobody cares about the French-speaking world, English dominates the planet and LA obviously has a higher standing in English media and entertainment.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
LA apparently doesn't have big companies?

LA is larger by millions and has significantly higher GDP per capita.

LOL nobody cares about the French-speaking world, English dominates the planet and LA obviously has a higher standing in English media and entertainment.
L.A. is not larger than Paris, lol. Wow.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

LA proper and LA metro are both bigger than their Paris counterparts. That was probably the only part he got right.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
LA proper and LA metro are both bigger than their Paris counterparts. That was probably the only part he got right.
LA MSA: 12.8M
Paris metro: 12.5M

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions