HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 6:30 AM
New Yorker for life

I was thinking, 30 Hudson Yards will become the "30 Rock" of this century, at least the first half. And another network home. Can't wait to see what they do here at Christmas.

Quick video...
perezhilton

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I was thinking, 30 Hudson Yards will become the "30 Rock" of this century, at least the first half. And another network home. Can't wait to see what they do here at Christmas.

Quick video...
perezhilton
Your Christmas comment got me wondering about the design deadline for Heatherwick Studio's centerpiece (which will probably be incorporated into any Christmas celebration, even if only by juxtaposition). If it's truly as big and grand as Mr. Ross has proclaimed, I'd assume it will need to be integrated into the structure of the plaza, meaning some additional engineering will need to be done before the plaza/platform and artwork are built out. I hope that means we get to see some images sooner than later.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I hope so too. They seem to be moving quickly on all design decisions, and I'm sure the initial renders of the sculpture will be changed before anything is built. But it will be nice to have some visualization
to go along with the other renderings.

In terms of the Christmas tree at 30 Rock, it's the crowds that always give the plaza life, year round. With the density expected here, and the shopping, tourists, etc., I expect something similar, but with a lot more room!

Here's an example of the plaza (minus sculpture) looking up the sweeping Hudson Boulevard & Park.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 2:24 AM

Very cool timeline. Looks to be on schedule thus far.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 2:44 AM

Cool timeline, BUT a culture tower base next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Very cool timeline. Looks to be on schedule thus far.
I'm pretty certain you need the Amtrak tunnel box near finished to provide part of the Culture Tower's foundation. I'm referring to the 2014 render below:

What's the original source of the renders?

Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 2:52 PM
BANNED

^ 2016 is going to be a skyscraperpager's dream! 4+ cranes, at least 700' in the air all in a race to the top.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 9:00 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://newyork.construction.com/new_...-goes-here.asp

Quote:
Work Starts on Second Hudson Yards Tower

A Year after ground was broken on the first tower at Hudson Yards, work on the second tower has begun and plans call for starting the tower's platform over a rail yard in January. By this time next year, the entire Eastern Rail Yards portion of the 26-acre redevelopment on Manhattan's West Side is slated to be under construction, including four towers, a retail podium and a public plaza.

"Hudson Yards is well on its way to redefining 21st-century development in New York City and forever altering the New York skyline," said L. Jay Cross, president of Related Hudson Yards, in a Dec. 4 statement announcing the groundbreaking of the 80-story North office tower, renamed 30 Hudson Yards. Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group are co-developers of the entire $15-billion redevelopment.

Towering Project: Hudson Yards' latest tower broke ground in early December. Work on the 80-story structure's platform is expected to begin in January.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://newyork.construction.com/new_...-goes-here.asp

Towering Project: Hudson Yards' latest tower broke ground in early December. Work on the 80-story structure's platform is expected to begin in January.

This will be an incredible thing to witness. So many cranes.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 11:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
What's the original source of the renders?
I made them up.

The timeline isn't new, I've posted it here before.

Anyway, I finally made it over to the exhibit, and I'm glad I did. I was surprised to find people genuinely enthusiastic about the project and loving it.
I don't know why it will only last a week, but Related should extend it or move it to another location, giving more people a chance to absorb it.
There are two models, a detailed one, and the more expansive model.

13. The aide here was very helpful, check her out.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.4-traders.com/TUTOR-PERIN...ract-17609159/

Tutor Perini Corp : Tutor Perini Awarded $510 Million Hudson Yards Platform Construction Contract

12/12/2013

Quote:
Tutor Perini Corporation, a leading civil and building construction company, today announced that its Civil Group has recently executed a contract with Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group for construction of a platform structure at Hudson Yards in midtown Manhattan. This portion of the Hudson Yards Development project is valued at approximately $510 million.

The platform, which will be constructed of structural steel frame and feature a reinforced concrete deck, will bridge the active Long Island Rail Road eastern rail yard located south of West 33rd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues, and will serve as the foundation for future buildings at Hudson Yards. Construction of the platform will be closely coordinated with the Company's work already underway on the Amtrak concrete tunnel box (Gateway right-of-way preservation) project at the same site.

Pre-construction activities related to the platform began in mid-2013. Construction related to the platform has already begun and is expected to be completed in 2016. The contract value will be included as part of the Company's reported fourth-quarter backlog.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 AM

This really is shaping up to be a Rock Center for the 21st C. I wonder how long it will be before we start talking about an 10th or 11th Avenue subway line?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 3:03 AM

This is wonderful news but I'm just a bit disappointed in the North Tower's height deduction looking at the models none of the towers really stand out. Is it still 1337' or is it really 1255'?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 4:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
This is wonderful news but I'm just a bit disappointed in the North Tower's height deduction looking at the models none of the towers really stand out. Is it still 1337' or is it really 1255'?
I think the North Tower doesn't stand out as much as it used to. But Equinox tower did get a significant design upgrade.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 7:49 PM

11th Ave subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This really is shaping up to be a Rock Center for the 21st C. I wonder how long it will be before we start talking about an 10th or 11th Avenue subway line?
Talk of a 10th or 11th Ave subway is one thing, items in the MTA's capital long term plan is another...

I think the TBM path under 10th Ave did not preclude a #7 station at 41st & 10th. However the #7's extension's extension that I have read talk about is sending it further south on 11th Ave. The current extension already has tail tracks that extend south to 25th street:

Source: MTA

Note that the MTA's latest committee report (Nov 2013) still lists "Site J (Main Entrance to 34th St Station and Vent Building) Excavation and Core & Shell" contract forecast completion as Dec-2013. Next meeting of this committee is tomorrow 12/16/2013.
http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/p...s.pdf#page=276
I imagine that Mayor Bloomberg could take his ceremonial ride in the next couple of weeks even though the Site J headhouse (Main Entrance to 34th St Station) looked like this last week (12/11). Maybe the elevator structure (behind the headhouse) looks more complete. The grayish-black vent building in the background is the rectangle marked "J Bldg" in the diagram above:

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This really is shaping up to be a Rock Center for the 21st C.
It will be Rock Center on steroids. It's a major addition to a city with a lot of major additions. I was looking at the models, and reminding myself that this is the same city where the WTC complex is being built, and there's still Manhattan West to deal with. But the WTC and this portion of the Hudson Yards are what stand out the most in terms of City development. There may be taller towers going up in town, but these two complexes (3 with Manhattan West) are giving us more City. It is truly an amazing time, and we couldn't be luckier.

An 82 ft height reduction? Really, on a project of this magnitude, who cares? It doesn't change anything really. It will still be the same magnificent complex.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:58 PM

Sorry, but there isn't reduction of height of the 30 Hudson Yards tower, which remains at 1337 feet tall. There isn't official communication to this alleged change. As you can see from the various images, the 35 Hudson Yards is high as The Girasole tower (1060ft). So the 30 Hudson Yards tower is 1337 feet.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:

Did you notice how small OHM building, which currently dominates the area, looks next to HY towers?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Sorry, but there isn't reduction of height of the 30 Hudson Yards tower, which remains at 1337 feet tall. There isn't official communication to this alleged change. As you can see from the various images, the 35 Hudson Yards is high as The Girasole tower (1060ft). So the 30 Hudson Yards tower is 1337 feet.
No, there hasn't been any official announcement of a height change. The speculation comes from that site graphic. The website hasn't been changed. All you need know is that the outdoor decks is at 1,080 ft. Never try to judge a height difference- especially one so close, based on a model.

On the facebook page, they say it will be "4th tallest" in New York. That would only be true if it's still 1,337 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Did you notice how small OHM building, which currently dominates the area, looks next to HY towers?
The towers will be large for sure. The shortest of the 4 railyard towers will be basically a 900 ft tower. Put that anywhere else in Midtown and it's one of the tallest.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/reaso.../2013/skyline/

Reasons to Love New York 2013:
44. Because 1,000-Foot Towers Are a Dime a Dozen Here

By Justin Davidson
December 15, 2013

Quote:
No matter how tall it gets, the New York skyline grows like a permanent adolescent. Nourished by fitful infusions of money, odd pieces shoot up in gangly disproportion, then nothing happens for a while, then the rest fills in. At each turn of the cycle, some New Yorkers wish it would just stop, while others prefer the way it was decades ago, before everything went to hell.

Thanks to complex technology and simple math (stronger concrete + astronomical land costs = megatowers), we’re in a growth spurt now, centered in lower Manhattan and a narrow belt of midtown. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat recently decreed that One World Trade Center has a spire, not a mere antenna, and thus is the tallest in the Western Hemisphere. Across the plaza, the 978-foot Tower Four, by Fumihiko Maki, has just opened. In midtown, a platoon of apartment buildings that either brush or surpass 1,000 feet is falling into line: One57, designed by Christian de Portzamparc; 432 Park Avenue, by Rafael Viñoly; 107 West 57th, by SHoP Architects; 220 Central Park South, by Robert A.M. Stern; Nordstrom Tower, at 215 West 57th, by ultrahigh-rise virtuosos Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill; 53 West 53rd Street, by Jean Nouvel, once again primed to rise next to MoMA …

And that’s just for now. Hudson Yards will add to the list, and though the Bloomberg plan to rezone east midtown to allow more behemoths has stalled, something like it is likely to rumble back to life under Bill de Blasio. The Empire State Building will soon sink below a rising tide of rooftops. And Brooklyn has a new spiky profile of downtown offices and waterfront condos.

Quote:
I finally made it over to the exhibit, and I'm glad I did. I was surprised to find people genuinely enthusiastic about the project and loving it.

I don't know why it will only last a week, but Related should extend it or move it to another location, giving more people a chance to absorb it.

Looks like they agree.

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork

Quote:
It's a Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday and an announcement!

Did you know that more than 10,000 people came to see the Hudson Yards exhibit at Time Warner Center? Well they did! And since it was so popular, the exhibit has been extended through December 26th...so there is still time to come see the New Heart of New York if you didn't get a chance (or to visit us again if you want).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:51 PM

http://gizmodo.com/the-billion-dolla...87579/@maxread

Could someone give me a breakdown on what HU may cost (i.e. what will the platform cost, what will each tower cost, the 7 extension, etc)? The figure in the article seems way, way off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive