HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:45 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I was just about the ask about the develope going up across the street from there? Are those apartments or a hotel. I've went the the other smaller spot a few times, really good lunch specials. Yeah, the closure of theRanch Market there had to be devistating. With the apartments or whatever going up, I was wondering if they were gonna have retail, it seems like a great opportunity to make it a real China Town but I guess that seems bleak. It's sad with the growing Asian population in our sprawling city, the population is just so spread throughout the town.
Sprawl aside, east Asian communities seem to have clustered organically along Dobson Road in Mesa and Chandler. There, Phoenix now has its own suburban Chinatown / Koreatown / Little Saigon similar to the Buford Highway outside Atlanta, Kearny Mesa outside San Diego, the San Gabriel Valley near Los Angeles, and Spring Mountain Road in Las Vegas. The 44th Street location of the COFCO Chinese Cultural Center always seemed arbitrary and artificial by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I had no idea the ranch market closed.

That place got me through a lot of impoverished home cooking. Sad.

Also, the whole corner of Dobson and Warner and Chandler may as will be Chinatown. Struggled for years to fill in, now it has majority Asian businesses on every corner i think. The Dobson corridor has long been home to Asian businesses all the way to the light rail.

The Chinese Cultural Center should probably be demolished. Its inward design doesn’t contribute at all to its sustainability, let alone its now-disappeared ethnic orientation.
I think that True North doesn't plan a complete demolition, but instead changes to the complex that will make it no longer recognizable as the Chinese Cultural Center it never really became. There continues to be militant opposition, though. Nearly every city council meeting seems to involve angry citizen comments, even when nothing related to the Chinese Cultural Center is on the agenda.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:53 PM

It was ranch market, not the one you are thinking of.

https://www.99ranch.com

Dobson is our Chinatown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:50 PM

Cool, thanks Biggus.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:

Also, the whole corner of Dobson and Warner and Chandler may as will be Chinatown. Struggled for years to fill in, now it has majority Asian businesses on every corner i think. The Dobson corridor has long been home to Asian businesses all the way to the light rail.

The Chinese Cultural Center should probably be demolished. Its inward design doesn’t contribute at all to its sustainability, let alone its now-disappeared ethnic orientation.
Ive always told people that neighborhood is the closest thing we have to a Chinatown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:30 PM

New development?

FAA Building permits just submitted for a 270-foot structure on the site of the historic Arizona Hardware Supply Co building. Anyone know what's going on there?

Certainly doesn't seem like an adaptive reuse at 270'. Maybe they preserve some of the facade? I don't see a total demo getting past the Historic Preservation phase.
Property looks like it's owned by 39 EAST JACKSON, LLC, with THUNDERBIRD LEGACY DEVELOPMENT, LLC and ARIZONA OPPORTUNITIES INDUSTRIALIZATION CENTER listed as managing members.

Last edited by AnthonyPHX; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM. Reason: updated w/ photo highlighting the site

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX View Post
FAA Building permits just submitted for a 270-foot structure on the site of the historic Arizona Hardware Supply Co building. Anyone know what's going on there?

Certainly doesn't seem like an adaptive reuse at 270'. Maybe they preserve some of the facade? I don't see a total demo getting past the Historic Preservation phase.
Property looks like it's owned by 39 EAST JACKSON, LLC, with THUNDERBIRD LEGACY DEVELOPMENT, LLC and ARIZONA OPPORTUNITIES INDUSTRIALIZATION CENTER listed as managing members.
Hmmmm I remember someone bringing this up a couple of weeks ago as a rumor/possibility. Was it Biggus?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:34 PM

39 E. Jackson is the south side. Would be awesome to see the parking lot behind the building get developed as a tower and the entire building save/revo'd as needed.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:43 PM

I was under the impression the Hardware store was just gettinga remodel, thought it would be a cool place for a bar, but if they are adding a Tower that would be awsome.

270' is taller than Stewart though isnt it?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I was under the impression the Hardware store was just gettinga remodel, thought it would be a cool place for a bar, but if they are adding a Tower that would be awsome.

270' is taller than Stewart though isnt it?
This isn't for the Hardware Store location behind Stewart. This development is by Talking Stick Arena.

I saw this request yesterday and tried to research it. I think 270' might be tall for that lot though? Anyone know what the height limit is for that area?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
This isn't for the Hardware Store location behind Stewart. This development is by Talking Stick Arena.

I saw this request yesterday and tried to research it. I think 270' might be tall for that lot though? Anyone know what the height limit is for that area?
I think you're right. Downtown Phoenix is at about 1100' right? If so, this map would put that area at a 200-250' limit.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:29 PM

I thought that too, if the FAA approves 270' here we might be looking at an open door to build taller in the downtown core. Here's to hoping
I've always thought FAA's height limits were far too restrictive. I mean the airport's close, but not like San Diego close.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX View Post
I thought that too, if the FAA approves 270' here we might be looking at an open door to build taller in the downtown core. Here's to hoping
I've always thought FAA's height limits were far too restrictive. I mean the airport's close, but not like San Diego close.
Yea, I feel Phoenix is restricted by about 100' too much. As a frequent visitor to Vegas, I watch the air traffic quite a bit. They get away with some pretty tall towers considering the proximity to McCarran. A lot of the planes departing McCarran will do u-turns right over the strip. It's all moot though. We can't even get a developer to build to the limits we have now.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Dec 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Yea, I feel Phoenix is restricted by about 100' to much. As a frequent visitor to Vegas, I watch the air traffic quite a bit. They get away with some pretty tall towers considering the proximity to McCarran. A lot of the planes departing McCarran will do u-turns right over the strip. It's all moot though. We can't even get a developer to build to the limits we have now.
And the actual flihgt path is really south of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:04 PM

Duo on Fillmore

Quote:
Multiple crane permits and building permits can be submitted. Block 23 did the same thing (4 crane permits and only 2 was put up). Not sure if it was because the attached requests contained mistakes or what not. 240' can be done on 17 floors. Block 23 residential will be 232' with 17 floors. It all just depends on the plate spacing. It would be unusual though for 17 to be 240'. Maybe they have a 2 level penthouse planned for the top or could be a large parapet or even a spire similar to 44 Monroe. I have seen filing permits under "Aspire" and "Duo on Fillmore" with Phoenix for quite a while now. So, I guess we'll see which name they go with.
Alright, a little bit more information I was able to gather on the Duo on Fillmore/Aspirant project from this presentation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kfg...edfnXLl6q/view

Duo on Fillmore seems to be the winning name. From the renderings, I can't tell if it's one or two separate towers on the same podium? It goes from 15-17 stories if i'm counting right....

If it's just one tower on the lot, then I don't get the name. Unless they are planning another tower on the adjacent parcel(s) on 4th Ave/Fillmore?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:25 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Alright, a little bit more information I was able to gather on the Duo on Fillmore/Aspirant project from this presentation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kfg...edfnXLl6q/view

Duo on Fillmore seems to be the winning name. From the renderings, I can't tell if it's one or two separate towers on the same podium? It goes from 15-17 stories if i'm counting right....

If it's just one tower on the lot, then I don't get the name. Unless they are planning another tower on the adjacent parcel(s) on 4th Ave/Fillmore?
Hey, that looks like it might be pretty good...and of course very similar to Stewart. Hope to see this built. I see why it may turn out to be 240' for only 17 floors. It looks like floor 15 may have a taller floor plate, there is a tall parapet and looks like some type of small crown over the elevator shaft. This is definitely only 1 building. My guess is maybe a phased 2 tower development?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:25 PM

Im thinking one side will be APTS one will be Condos.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 10:54 PM
Modulator

Reached out to the Kenect developers via FB as the Kenect website was down. Also asked them when construction will start. Reply was within a few weeks. So sounds like they are about to move around the 1st or 2nd week of 2019. The Kenect website is also back up...although with no content yet.

Waiting for these developments to go is like waiting for water to boil...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
De Soto has about 20 parking spaces and the church across the alley allowed parking for De Soto.

Where did you get this "no parking" issue? ive never heard that?
From the listing broker. I was looking at the building for a different use. The parking to the South is owned by Amerco (Uhaul). They had to lease parking spaces to get the DeSoto market concept approved.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I don't think it was a Ranch Market. It was a Chinese grocery store, and it was so ethnically awesome. Having worked in China, it was really cool to visit.
It was an Asian Ranch Market not the Los Altos. But they moved it to somewhere it South Scottsdale.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I believe Chandler has the biggest percentage of Asians in the city. I remember looking at the 2010 census being at like 8 percent Asian for Chandles. It's probably even higher by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest