HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 8:28 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
All good suggestions for Philly, but I'm going to add one more: the World Trade Center tower that was proposed just after 1LP was completed in the late 1980s. It was going to be located just north of the Ben Franklin Bridge, 65 stories and over 1000 feet. I can't find an image of it anywhere, but there was going to be a giant communications globe at the top. It was going to be part of a complex of 3 or 4 buildings that included resi and hotels also. Would really have revitalized the waterfront.
I know that I've got the picture on my computer at home but I know exactly what you're talking about. The only image of if that I've ever seen was a graphic in an Inquirer article about u/c skyscrapers in Philadelphia at the time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:04 AM

Not to bump my own thread, but here's another good one from Philly. It's the Joint Library. A massive Egyptian Revival building on Washington Square. It was going to house several organizations, most notably the Athenaum of Philadelphia and the Academy of Natural Sciences.

Here's a thought: what if the Academy of Natural Sciences, the existing museum, eventually grew into this building. I don't know if the others would have lasted for 200 years in the same space, but the AoNS kept on growing. Imagine if that building were the Natural History Museum now. I could see it. Plus, it's right by Independence Hall and other tourist favorites.

Image: https://www.philadelphiabuildings.or.../0/default.jpg

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:58 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
That Trump NYSE Tower cracks me up. That apparently was proposed some time before 9/11 considering what's in the background in the lower right corner. YET... that looks like a certain building that was recently completed in that part of Manhattan...

For Pittsburgh, I can think of only a few projects I wish would've/could've/SHOULD'VE been built:
  • The subway lines planned (and were shovel ready) circa 1920s or 1930s but were never built due to a misappropriation of funds.
  • One Grandview - the 20-plus story hotel and mixed use proposal on top of Mt. Washington.
  • The proposed office/retail complex proposed in the late 1980s for what was ultimately built as the unimpressive BNY Mellon client services center. (my understanding is the 1991 recession killed this development which would have contained a building taller than the US Steel building)
  • The proposed 18-story high-rise in the Strip District that was killed because of NIMYism

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions