HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:19 PM

There was a study done some years back that showed no suitable mountains on the eastern slopes that could accommodate a ski resort. There were a couple near the Wilmore wilderness but snow was unreliable. This was before wide spread use of snow-making.

If another hill was to open near Jasper you would get the traffic. Currently the Jasper Hotel scene is adequate for the current hill. I know people that stay in Hinton or at the Overlander and drive up each day.

There would also have to be a major upgrade to all the hotels in Jasper and Hinton.

My numerous meetings in Jasper the quality or lack there of, of the hotels has come up.

Expect a lot of site work at JPL this year. Was there yesterday and a lot of the grounds have been dug up for new underground services. New roads and curbs for the spring.

Also noticed patriotically along the highway in, new stakes that go fairly far off the road, in fact about the distance of new lanes. Theses stakes are in numerous locations at both repaved and not repaved sections. They were not there last month.

Medicine Lake Yesterday from the edge of the fire zone.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:00 PM

^Beauty.

Personally love Marmot Basin. The owners had, at one time considered a second resort at Valemont, but not sure the status of that scheme.

Know some world travellers who much prefer Jasper to Banff, simply because it's more laid back and that Athabasca River valley is so wide, affording panoramic vistas.

Mind you, they always stay at the JPL, which makes it pretty easy to "love Jasper."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:06 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post

As for Fortress, I think I'll pass on 70km/hr winds and sheets of ice to ski on thanks.
The best thing about Fortress was the small hill vibe, reminded me a lot of Whitewater. The terrain was best suited to boarders but I liked the rawness of the terrain.. Made it a greater challenge than the more refined hills

Yeah that wind was brutal. We got caught in a mini snow cyclone riding up the chair lift that ran up the North face one time. That was crazy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton